184 TDI Fuel

Blokie

Jul 2, 2017
Hi All,

I'm picking up my 66 plate, 4500 miler TDI 184 FR DSG on Saturday.

Would you guys recommend using the higher octane diesel (Shell vPower etc) as opposed to the standard stuff?

What sort of performance or fuel economy increase are you experiencing (if any)?

Mark

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I've tried the more expensive stuff a few times, didn't notice any performance increase but noticed the car didn't run as economical, was losing about 50 miles to tank so I just stick with standard BP diesel. Just don't use Tesco standard diesel, that stuff made my car run rough

DaFoot

Jun 16, 2014
Sheffield
www.dafoot.co.uk
Don't use supermarket fuel. Tends to have higher biodiesel content than the lines of Shell.

Biodiesel isn't good for your car.

I use standard shell diesel most of the time with a few tanks of premium back to back now and then.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

BenH

Sep 16, 2016
Nottingham
I used standard shell, tried v power a few times it looked like it was giving better economy lower down the gears but in reality I came out with the same miles for the tank so wasn't worth the price difference. People will say better fuel keeps the engine clean but honestly as long as, as above, you don't use supermarket crap and give the engine the occasional boot to please the dpf you'll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blokie

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for the responses gents. I'll stick with the standard Shell stuff!

sheffield

Jan 11, 2017
Don't bother with the premium stuff, makes no difference in a diesel unlike in a petrol.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
On my previous 2.0 TDI, i used mainly Shell or Esso regular diesel. Every 1.5-2000 miles I would give it a tank of Shell Vpower Nitro Plus Diesel to give things a little clean and piece of mind haha. Oh and btw, on Vpower the engine seemed to regen less.

From my experience, Shell Vpower gave better mpg, perhaps also more power on a dyno, but day to day driving, I cannot feel the extra power. However I found the mpg increase really didn't offset the higher price. I got the car @ 2248 miles and had it till 10k miles, so engine was clean to start with. Once I put in 10 liters worth of supermarket diesel to see what gives. Engine was grumpy and a bit unwilling. Like us just waking up and not wanting to go for a jog. Even a friend commented, 'whats with your engine, got up from the wrong side of bed?' and he doesn't know what fuel I put, but he's been in my car frequently to notice a change.

However another experience with my former flatmate who had a Renault Clio 1.5 88PS DCi benefited more from Vpower. It's because for most of it's life it has used Supermarket fuel. Journeys were the same Mon - Fri, same time, same 'conditions' etc. I pressured her to do this test, as I was curious, she finally gave in. This is what happened.

As her journeys were as consistent as consistent can be, a full tank of supermarket diesel, she would need to refuel every x number of days. I cannot remember if it was 11 or 13, but anyway, that was the base experience. Despite cursing and swearing at the 'extra' must have been 10p or more at the pumps, she went through with it, to keep me from pestering her. Anyway...on the first tankful of Vpower, the car went 1 more day same conditions, and on the 2nd tank it went almost a 2nd day more. Essentially it gave about 60 more miles a tank. Now she uses Vpower exclusively. Engine quieter too, when asked about more power, she said, cannot feel.

Perhaps it's the Vpower's powerful cleaning agents getting rid of the supermaket fuel gunk/junk after a couple of tanks restoring it to it's 'near new' former glory. I compare it to descaling a kettle :). I do wonder if she 'downgrades' to regular Shell/BP/Esso diesel if it would still give it the same range.

I would say start with a full tank or 2 of Vpower Diesel (to clean whatever supermarket fuel deposits/gunk might have been used/leftover prior), then just go back to regular Shell/Esso/BP diesel, and then base your preferences from there after trying both the premium and regular.

I know this is for a petrol (in which premium fuel might work more wonders)

Shell Regular 95
20170320_001649_resized.jpg

Shell Vpower (as similar a journey can be, albeit I was distracted hence had to go around the roundabout twice, hence slower speed)
20170528_004242_resized.jpg

The 1st leg on Vpower
20170528_002201_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Blokie

Jul 2, 2017
Thanks Sheffield, KXL.

I think I'll chuck a tank or 2 of vPower in to start with then move back to the standard Shell/BP (I've never used the supermarket stuff on any my cars, ever!).

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Over the last 6 years I have run three diesel company cars over 150k miles all on supermarket fuel ( Tesco usually , must get me club card points :D ) and never had any fuel related issues.
Last four Leon's ( FR, LCR, 280,290) have been run mainly on Tesco 99 over 70k again with no issues.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Octane is not relevant for so-called performance Diesel. Diesels do not pre ignite; there is no fuel to burn until injection.

It's only cleaning additives that make a difference, and mostly only to the price.

There is nothing wrong with Tesco diesel, these world engines can cope with far worse fuel in deepest darkest wherever.

Last edited:

Blokie

Jul 2, 2017
It may often be a psychological thing not using the supermarket fuels. I read a story years ago (probably 15+ years ago!) about a local supermarket forecourt being shut down as there had been complaints about engines having issues from them and it turned out after testing that they had sand in the fuel.

It's also been one of convenience for me over the years too - I've always lived much closer to "normal" petrol stations than to supermarket ones, so I'd have had to go out of my way to use the supermarket ones, and my local supermarkets didn't have forecourts either!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I had three VW diesels from 2002 - 2016 and they were always run on supermarket diesel - usually from Tesco. Absolutely no fuel related problems experienced.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
There is definitely a difference between fuels. I have found that Shell V Power diesel doesn't offer much over Shell std diesel. However, Esso Supreme and Texaco Supreme make quite a difference in my car. Off boost torque is increased and combustion noise is reduced. Combustion stability is better both at idle and under full load at high revs. All these small changes take a bit of skill to notice but add up to a more pleasurable drive.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Octane is not relevant for so-called performance Diesel. Diesels do not pre ignite; there is no fuel to burn until injection.

It's only cleaning additives that make a difference, and mostly only to the price.

There is nothing wrong with Tesco diesel, these world engines can cope with far worse fuel in deepest darkest wherever.

Just to clarify and avoid any confusion, Diesel does not have an octance rating, it uses a Cetane rating which is a measure of the ignition delay.

Octane rating has no impact on pre-ignition in a petrol, it only impacts the point when detonation occurs.

Many diesel engines run different injector specification and PCM calibration for markets with lower grade fuels ( non EN590 ).

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Octane rating has no impact on pre-ignition in a petrol, it only impacts the point when detonation occurs.
( non EN590 ).

Pre ignition is when fuel/air explodes before spark no? Is this called knock? High octane reduces the likelihood of this as I understand.

If you know more than me, I'm genuinely interested for my knowledge.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Pre ignition is when fuel/air explodes before spark no? Is this called knock? High octane reduces the likelihood of this as I understand.

If you know more than me, I'm genuinely interested for my knowledge.
Pre ignition is when mixture ignites before the spark. Knock is when the mixture explodes rather than burns after the spark. High octane reduces the point at which knock occurs. Detonation is heavy knocking. Knock and det tend to be referred to as the same thing.

Knock can always be reduced by pulling spark timing. Pre ignition cant be stopped so easily and if it leads to full detonation will destroy engines in seconds.

I don't claim to know anymore than anyone else but have been calibrating engines around the world for 20yrs now, always something new to learn though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ian_k

Aug 10, 2017
in my experience the only difference I noticed with supermarket diesel is that tend to make diesel cars sound a bit noisier

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members