Who uses a tyre inflator?

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Hi, I'm thinking if getting a tyre inflator to maintain my tyres. Does anyone use them and is it safe to use them from the 12v socket when the car is off or will it kill the battery? I can't imagine it will need to inflate more than a few psi but who knows.

Cheers,
Izo

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
I have a Ring RAC635 air compressor in my boot (bought from Amazon). Highly rated by the car magazines and very quick. I check my pressures every month with it. Takes about 15 mins to do all four tyres but most of that is swapping between the them.

Daz68

Apr 18, 2002
Somewhere up north
Should of mentioned that I leave the engine running when I'm running the compressor so it doesn't drain the battery. The manual recommends that you do that.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Thanks guys. Yeah I was looking at the rac635 it looks like it'll do the job nicely. I don't have a tyre inflator in my boot, there's a spare wheel there with a subwoofer sitting in it. Strange but true.

Thanks,
Izo

Deleted member 103408

I use one, a lot when i had a slow puncture. With regards battery I have never had the engine running but to be fair to pump up does not take that long and the battery is designed (for stop start) to keep itself in tip top condition I thought.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
I bought the cheapest digital one I could was less than a tenner, works a charm although I’ve never had to put air in my tyres in over a year since it was new alloys with no leaking like the gold i had before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Last edited:

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have a ring one I think, with digital display and yellow power button, not sure of model. Works brilliantly, quick and convenient but only drawback is the screw on valve, wish it had a quick release fitting or push on one like the petrol station ones do as I have to over inflate them slightly to compensate.

With regards to 12v socket, I just have the ignition on without engine running ad suggested by others. I definitely spend more time on vcds than I do pumping tyres up.

nbullus

Apr 21, 2017
I have the Ring one as well - superb. Had it for years without any issues.

Cuprobbie

May 4, 2016
Hamilton
Ring inflator. Excellent piece of kit. Saves having to faff around in petrol stations.

I never use it with the engine running. It only takes a few seconds to top up each tyre so absolutely no worries about draining the battery.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
I got my Ring inflator on Saturday. Quite impressed with it. The only thing is it seems to cut off 1 psi below the setting, so I set it to 1 psi higher than required. But other than that a decent piece of kit for 26 quid.

Cheers,
Izo

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I am yet. To find one that is quicker than a foot pump for day to day adjustments. 10 pumps for each 0.1 bar.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.