Insurance companies (do you recommend yours?)

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi fellow SEAT owners,

So it's that time of the year again for me to find new car insurance after exhausting my 1st year complimentary insurance from SEAT (thank you!).

Out of curiosity, who are you guys with insurance wise, and would you recommend them.
I know each person's location, age, driving experienc,e NCD bla bla bla would be different, but just to get an idea.
I have been on comparison website, and boy do the prices vary. What do you guys pay approx for yours?

I used to be with Admiral on my previous car, they were very competitive price wise..sadly not this time round. I would have recommended Admiral, and probably would have gone with them if they could quote a price in the 600s, and not 700s.

For me:
9 year UK manual licence
Engine: 1.0 TSI (Group 19)
NCD: 3 yrs
Car parked: Gated Residential parking
Best Quote (642/yr General Accident)
Likely one I will go for: 668/yr Aviva
Most quoted 1.2k+ include Adrian Flux & Chris Knot

I guess non-Londeners would get way lower quotes, but just curious to see how much this can vary...Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I use AXA, was with Churchill for years but AXA gave me so much more for cheaper plus I love their on line accounts where you can make changes to your policy document and not pay any fees. I have a 1.8TSI FR and pay £240 a year fully comp, £250 voluntary excess, if you want you can add legal cover, NCP and breakdown etc either at the time or by adding them whenever you want within your account.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Comparison sites were 490+ this October. Renewal through Chris Knott was 320 on a 184 FR ST. Winter tyres and a towbar declared with no charge or faffing.

Deleted member 103408

I am with ESURE and all my mods are declared and very happy (could not get cheaper). However when I asked about stage 2 and all the associated hardware upgrades (Intercooler, Gearbox, All the Mounts, Downpipe etc). in advance of doing the upgrade was told it was to high spec and they would not quote if I asked.

Spoke to Adrian Flux got a good price for stage 2 (cant recall figure but it was not ott), Chris Knot were very much more expensive and did not quote because they knew they could not match it.

I paid 250-00 but live in a low priced area and am old, oddly enough when I asked what happens to insurance cost when you retire and the responce was - it may go up because you have more free time to drive the car....

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The price is only one aspect to consider and cheapest isn’t necessarily the best. You need to also consider the excess level, the cover you’re getting and such things as whether or not you get a courtesy car in the event of a claim and whether the repairers used are manufacturer approved and use OEM parts.

I’m currently insured with Aviva and they were prepared to reduce my premium at renewal to retain my business. My brother is also insured with Aviva and recently had a non-fault claim. He found the claims service was excellent, as was the quality of the repairs, and the repairer was manufacturer approved.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I'm with Admiral. They always give me higher prices initially until you phone up and actually talk to somebody.

I had some confusion this year when one Admiral advisor said that factory fitted extra's wouldnt be covered eg the tech pack, 18's, parking sensors, etc. So I said I'm leaving until another Admiral advisor said the first one 'must have got confused'

So we went through every detail of the cover and they matched the cheapest price I got on the comparison websites @ £270

Unfortunately you only find out how good your cover is when you have to make a claim.

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
I'm with Admiral too - I was with Bell before (part of the same group).

I'm 24 so my insurance isn't great anyway, and thanks to my car being stolen in July I have lost all my no claims bonus. It'll cost roughly £1100 to insure my Leon when it arrives. Hopefully it'll drop a bit after I turn 25.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I’m with Adrian Flux on a modified car policy. Was more than half the price of any comparison site result. Under £350 for the year. I’m 28, house owner, no points/crashes/convictions, living near Preston. All mods are declared and was told by Adrian Flux that my premium will only go up if the power increases by 10% or more. And the declared power was 385 at stage one, 400 at stage two. I just email them with my new mods and I get an email back within a few days saying my policy has been amended to reflect them and my premium is unaffected. Can’t recommend them enough!

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue)
Performance: Racingline OEM+ Stage Two Mapping | Racingline R600 Intake | Racingline Turbo Inlet Pipe | Racingline Turbo Elbow | Racingline Muffler Delete | OEM NGK Audi RS7 Spark Plugs | 034 Motorsport Dogbone Mount | GFB DV+ | Milltek Large Bore Downpipe | Pipewerx Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Forge Turbo Blanket
Interior: Koonlung K1S Dash Cam with BlackVue Power Magic Pro
Exterior: TRC Front Splitter | Foliatec Exhaust Paint Gloss Black

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
With Quote Me Happy, staying with them as no charges to change policy if done online and got free legal cover this year to stay with them, so worked out the cheapest again.

As always postcode lottery seems to have a bigger impact than the actual car, we moved a mile down the road and the premium went up, even though it is the same area?????

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Thanks guys, wow I pay so much for a 1.0TSI haha...

I re-did the quotes, and quotemehappy now gave the best price of £607 @ 550 excess.

Seeing they are an 'Aviva' company, I'm tempted to call Aviva directly to see if they will match. Anyway, I've still got just under a month to panic :whistle:

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Mine is due up in about a month too, just to see what you happen last night went on my current insurers website (AXA) and did a new quote, kept everything the same as last year but added 1 year to everything.

To my absolute horror its gone up from around £680 to almost 1300 quid. Safe to say if my renewal looks anything like that I'll be going elsewhere!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
Sorry we could offer you a competitive premium on your details but thanks for giving us a try though.
Regards,
Dan.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
Do you have to declare factory-fitted options such as ACC, parking pack, convenience pack etc. I may get a dashcam but other than that, the car will stay the same as when I pick up the keys.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Do you have to declare factory-fitted options such as ACC, parking pack, convenience pack etc. I may get a dashcam but other than that, the car will stay the same as when I pick up the keys.

Whether you need to declare factory fitted options or not varies from insurer to insurer. Best to check with your insurer to see if they need to know.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Agreed rocket3 (although not just as good as yours) Another oldie with SAGA. FR 184 technology £265

I tried SAGA (online quote) they refused to quote me...

Could be due to my car being a lease...

Same with Zurich insurance and another one I can't remember (RIAS or NFU maybe)...

Last edited:

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Direct line, less than £300 but I am 35 with full NCB. Not sure if I would recommend as never had to use them, but as far as price and the supposed cover, they are good. 184 FR, 63 FYI

marky

Mar 13, 2017
Lake District
use Sainsburys for under £300me and the wife covered and business use (Travelling between offices and down the bank for work) covered too

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I tried SAGA (online quote) they refused to quote me...

Could be due to my car being a lease...

Same with Zurich insurance and another one I can't remember (RIAS or NFU maybe)...

SAGA wouldn’t quote for me either; I’m old enough :D (retired), been driving for 40 years and have full no claims discount. Maybe their on-line quote engine won’t quote if a car has been modified? (I’ve changed the wheels on my car). I didn’t phone them to ask why; plenty of other insurers would quote.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise