Audi S3 GT3582R stroker Build (previously GT3071r)

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Thanks all... appreciated :)

So as is the way of these things.... no updates for ages followed by a random update with nothing much to update with and then my fans stop working so here is an update :)

20151206-IMAG1500.jpg

This has happened before and I managed to clean it up ok but its a common issue and really all I did was give it a stay of execution...

Removed the offending fuse...
20151206-IMAG1507.jpg

...was a bit of a mess...
20151206-IMG_8777.jpg

Bit beyond saving this time so did a work around instead :)
20151206-IMAG1508.jpg

20151206-IMAG1509.jpg

With that done and the fans working again I turned to the catch can which hasn't been off since I fitted it nearly two years ago... my can doesn't have a drain and tbh is a bit of a pain in the a*se to remove being bolted on the way it is...
20151206-IMG_8750.jpg

I could just undo the clip but experience suggests all the paint will come with it too so I replaced the nuts with rivnuts
20151206-IMAG1510.jpg

...which will make it a bit easer to remove next time...
20151206-IMAG1511.jpg

Not that it seems I really need too as bearing in mind I have not touched it since fitting all that was in the can was water... brown water granted but no oil and only about 1/4 of the tank...

The pipework was a bit smeggy though...

20151206-IMAG1502.jpg

20151206-IMAG1504.jpg

Cleaned them out, fitted it all back together and jobs a good un :)

<tuffty/>

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Went to start the car last week only to find she was running on three cylinders so switched off and took the A2 instead....

Managed to get a look later in the week and found that the unspacer on injector one had pitched over. and was leaking fuel..

IMAG1861.jpg

I do run up to 6bar of fuel pressure under boost and looks like the o-rings have relaxed a bit... you can't use clips with them either so decided its time for an upgrade... Bill had a couple of Integrated Engineering fuel rails in so I offered one up to see if it would fit ok... I was concerned I wouldn't be able to fit the cover lol...

Does look the biz and shouldn't be an issue supporting the fuelling I need...
IMAG1867.jpg

Fitted the cover to see what clearance would be like...
IMAG1868.jpg

Result...

I then checked the injector installed height to make sure they sat in OK as AEB runners tend to need to be spaced... using the clips on the rail they just about reached but not enough for me to feel happy about...

IMAG1870.jpg

So means I need to mod the rail a little... to get the injector in far enough that I am happy it won't leak under high boost...
IMAG1871.jpg

The normal feed adaptor sticks out a little too so may have to mod that or find a 45/90 degree version...
IMAG1874.jpg

I sorted the OE rail to prevent the unspacer pitching so I could drive the car home at least and moved on to the next issue...

I managed to catch a low curb with the underside of the car...
IMAG1875.jpg

....so I pulled out the plug which looks like its hot glued in and beat the floor pan out from the top through the carpet...
IMAG1877.jpg

Cleaned all the old 'glue' off and straightened the hole as best I could without having to resort to pulling up the carpet and using dollys etc ...
IMAG1878.jpg

Copious amounts of sealant and jobs a good un...
IMAG1879.jpg

Used stone guard to help seal it all up..
IMAG1887.jpg

Next job was to replace the front drop links... these were cheapies (relatively) from GSF that I bought for the inaugural MOT after the build some two years and 7000 miles ago... not really the longest time in the world so I went for a set of Meyle ones this time.. the joints were ok on the old ones but the rubber covers were shot on all the joints both sides...
IMAG1881.jpg

IMAG1882.jpg

IMAG1884.jpg

With those done I moved onto the next job... my rather yellow expansion bottle... this was bought new when I did my GT30 conversion but clearly doesn't take long for them to go an off colour..
IMAG1889.jpg

When I removed the trim to get at it, I found this....
IMAG1891.jpg

Not really what you want to see with a high pressure fuel line thats seeing 4 to 6 bar of fuel pressure!... heat clearly has deteriorated the rubber and the expansion from pressure did the rest...

So the plan now is to get the IE fuel rail sorted and run a complete new line from the inline pump to the rail... the OE plastic line is quite a small ID so will upsize the lines to cope and make it all a little more robust with headroom on fuel flow...

I had some spare normal fuel line so used that to repair the dodgy bit... checked the rest of the lines in case they were compromised and they looked in a better state but will get replaced anyway when the time comes... and also fitted the new expansion bottle of course...
IMAG1893.jpg

All back together ....
IMAG1895.jpg

To finish off the day I modded my pano head so I can do multi level pano's a bit more easily...
IMAG1896.jpg

IMAG1897_1.jpg

Just waiting on some decent clear nights now... which is quite frustrating with this changeable weather we are having at the moment

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
You can see your nice pink coolant better now. I think mine's original and very dirty looking. It'll get a nice new one when the big 240 bhp engine build goes in the cordoba but less talk about the dirty diesel. When you say pano do you mean a sweep of the night sky? The mate, I say mate when I haven't seen him in ages,( wife and kids does that) has a 16 inch telescope and doessn't do the pano but has photos of the moon and sun spots on his facebook page if you want a gander. The photos are fabulous. Good work as always.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
...When you say pano do you mean a sweep of the night sky? The mate, I say mate when I haven't seen him in ages,( wife and kids does that) has a 16 inch telescope and doessn't do the pano but has photos of the moon and sun spots on his facebook page if you want a gander. The photos are fabulous. Good work as always.

Yeah, panoramic shots of the night sky is the plan... I have done landscape pano's before but been getting into astrophotography a bit recently..

Here are a couple of mine...

20160305-IMG_8974.jpg

20160405-IMG_0425.jpg

20160405-IMG_0415.jpg

20160405-IMG_0420.jpg

...and a couple of the moon of course....
20160313-IMG_9035-PS.jpg

20151022-IMG_8488_PS.jpg

20160218-IMG_8983-HDR.jpg

..and to finish off, one of the sun...
20160202-IMG_8958.jpg

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Your photos are beautiful. My friend wanted me to get a teleacope as well but I preferred a 1200 bandit at the time and also the light polution around Belfast lough is terrible. You get light from Bangor, Belfast, Newtownards, Glengormely, Whiteabbey, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus and a wee bit from Whitehead. You have to go out to the back of beyond to get dark skys and even then you get a wee bit of orange glow from Antrim and Ballymena, viewed from Ballycarry which is the handiest place for me to get some dark skys. If you type Ivan McAllister in to facebook his page and photos should come up if you want to see what his are like. If you can't find him I'll try and post a link to it if you want.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Sure thing dude....

Light pollution is pretty bad round here too... planning to go to Brecon Beacons to grab some milkyway shots but while its easy to plan the right nights to go when it will be visible at the right times you cannot predict the weather... which is normally absolute rubbish

<tuffty/>

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Yes weather in this country is rubbish. If you message him you'll never get away, slight exaggeration, he knows all the m numbers, globular clusters and crab nebulas and hundreds of objects in the sky. I know the northern cross, big dipper and little dipper, one looks like a bow tie which I forget the name of. Orions belt is nice. Is it part of the great bear or the hunter. Is there Polaris, a star that changes colours orange and blue and twinkles.

Your thread is to big. I'm exhausted trying to get back through it on this stupid tap talk phone, laptop is down again shame on you dell. Trying to see how you did your 2 litre stroker, what pistons etc. I've a c5 a6 Quattro coming this weekend hopefully, hope I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched by typing this. So scoping out a 2 litre engine build for her with maybe a k04-064 turbo.

tufftybloke

Badger 5 Edition
Feb 28, 2009
Gloucestershire, UK
Yes weather in this country is rubbish. If you message him you'll never get away, slight exaggeration, he knows all the m numbers, globular clusters and crab nebulas and hundreds of objects in the sky. I know the northern cross, big dipper and little dipper, one looks like a bow tie which I forget the name of. Orions belt is nice. Is it part of the great bear or the hunter. Is there Polaris, a star that changes colours orange and blue and twinkles.

Your thread is to big. I'm exhausted trying to get back through it on this stupid tap talk phone, laptop is down again shame on you dell. Trying to see how you did your 2 litre stroker, what pistons etc. I've a c5 a6 Quattro coming this weekend hopefully, hope I'm not counting my chickens before they've hatched by typing this. So scoping out a 2 litre engine build for her with maybe a k04-064 turbo.

Here you go... start from here lol
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234021&page=46

I have stopped astrophotography for a while as the sun is too high (actually not astronomically dark now for the next month) and have moved onto to splash/drip photography..

Couple of test shots (not very good ones just yet as I am dialling in my rig)

20160624-IMG_9419.jpg

20160624-IMG_9441.jpg

Anyhoo... no real updates on the car as its just working (for change) apart from a few weeks ago when the after run pump decided to fall apart on my way to Bills one morning...

IMAG2001.jpg

Was panicking a little as I was about 1/2 mile from the workshop and FIS Control was showing the temps rising a bit fast!

New pump fitted now and she is back to being boringly reliable and scarily fast :)

<tuffty/>

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members