iTB Ibiza Cupra 16v Track Toy - Engine Rebuild, Aero & More Page 73+

MoToJoJo

Mar 25, 2014
Northants
Fair enough. Gut feeling says higher setting so the wing sees cleaner air on both sides, should help efficincy. Either that or remove the small spoiler in front of it as that appears to have a small upwards flick that'll interfere with flow. Just my half penny of thoughts

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
It is hard to see in the photos but it is sitting well above the 16v spoiler and there is another setting to go up further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Pembrey Circuit April 2016

The morning started off damp, cold and extremely windy! Stupidly decided to put up my tent which is "heavy duty" but before I managed to support it the wind bent and broken some of the bars!

The sighting lap saw me coming off the track, which wasn't my finest hour! Totally my fault, getting a feel for the car and making sure there was no knocks got a bit of understeer (cold tyres, damp track) lifted off and then oversteer I was too rusty to correct it quick enough and off into in grass! Doh.... some abuse in the paddock and even one of the marshals giving me crap.

First session out and going into my 4th lap, braking and downshifting into the hairpin and something didn't feel right.... went to accelerate out of the corner and all I had was the engine rev'in. Red flagged the session to get me towed off where I found I hadn't tighten the gear linkage up enough.

After that the car felt good, the areo work really showing it was worth doing and lap times were a second to second & half quicker than when I was at Pembrey in 2014. A lot less steering angle being put into the car but the rear end was a bit loose! Here's a video clip comparing a lap from 2014 and a lap with the aero;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ3vfIr9m7E

One problem I found was that my oil catch tank was filling up quickly to the point I drained almost 1.5 litres through out the day from the tank, after a engine leak down test it's pointing at the Accusump emptying when oil pressures drop in the engine and the increase of pressure from the Accusump and then the pressure increase from the engine along with the slow refill of the Accsump.... Excess pressure & oil got to go somewhere! Fix is under way which involves a new larger oil catch tank and a return to sump feed.

With the rear end feeling loose on the left hand bend I decided to take Nige's advise on the rear wing and raise it up into cleaner air, rather try this than add more angle and instantly the rear grip improved. I couldn't believe it was like day & night once I raised this wing!

I just need to learn how to drive with the aero now and start to get into my head that I can take some corners without lifting to very little braking but that will come to me over time. Got to believe in the laws of pyhsics I guess.

Here's a few photos from the day and a video clip of some of my sessions & breakdown (sorry I wasn't recording when I was on the sighting lap).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0yTD-WXFmk

wh00sher

Apr 6, 2011
With the rear end feeling loose on the left hand bend I decided to take Nige's advise on the rear wing and raise it up into cleaner air, rather try this than add more angle and instantly the rear grip improved. I couldn't believe it was like day & night once I raised this wing!
When you were just fitting a splitter and didn`t plan on a spoiler, I had to warn you it needed balancing :)

Great to hear you could feel the difference. What next ?

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right long time no typing!!!!

Since my last update after Pembrey, I had trouble with the oil catch tank and fitted a new one, did another track day at Combe, broke the suspension, went for another design oil catch tank, the wife was pregnant (which was a nightmare 9 months for us) and she give birth to another beautiful daughter!

And in-between all that been messing about with the Transporter, turning it into a day van with a leisure battery, 240v and swivel seats.

So lets get back on track with these updates:

After Pembrey I had a problem with the 1 litre oil catch tank spitting out oil, this was due to the recent addition of the Accusump. When it detected the oil pressure getting low in the engine it will dump 80psi back into it but they was causing it to spit out of the tank.

So after speaking to my engine builder we decided to got for a 2.5 lite tank (Accusump is 2 litres) and add in a return to sump feed.

CASTLE COMBE 25/07/16

The snot was performing very well and was hoping to see the improvements with the aero at this track since it's the one place that I was done many track days & action days at. The snot had never felt so good around this track, the turn in was so positive, with less steering angle and going into Quary in 4th instead of 3rd.

This corner was always a problem for the car because in 4th I was just out of the power and found I had to slow down to go into 3rd and then power out but now I'm entering the corner in 4th and the power is spot on.... this is down to entering the corner with more speed (thanks aero) with less steering angle on and I'm able to get on the power in 4th. That one corner made all this aero stuff worth while!!!

Entering into Tower Corner and the best way to explain the feeling of the car is like it was "dancing on tarmac" unreal feeling!!

But sadly I did bring out the only red flag of the day, lost gear selection going into Tower and had to limp my way to the exit lane where I had to get towed off. Turned out the circlip on the shaft running through the pedal box, clutch and brake pedal had popped off and the shaft worked its way out.... so lucky not to have snapped the brake pedal clip here.

Seat out and while making a clip to get me back out I found the missing one, refitted and back out!

The oil tank issue has been a lot better but still causing me concern

No where near the oil loss I had at Pembrey but still more than I want!! Engine oil level seemed good all day so thats the main thing I guess.

While out on my last session I felt something was a bit out on the steering, wanted to switch over to the slicks I had purchased a while ago to compare the Kumho V70 to the Dunlop Hard slicks so good time to have a look at any problems.

While jacking the passenger side front up the whole wheel moved, to my shock this was the problem!

A M10 bolt was used (instead of M12) to get a bit more camber on that side (I didn't do this), I did test the torque on the bolt the morning of the track day and although I couldn't get the torque it felt "tight"..... Stupid decision and I won't be doing again! The thread had stripped, this could have ended soon bad, I never overlook anything with this car and the one time I did and it could have cost me a lot!!!! Prefect time to go home and I leave this pic here

New rims

Few pics from the day

Here's a video from the day
Castle Combe Video

On inspection after Combe, I had stripped the coilover down to get repaired and refitted new M12 bolts all around and still managed to get the camber I need on the passenger side. Fitted Oil Tank V3.0 that is now more like a swirl pot, tube shaped with baffles after chatting with Lars @ AH Fabrication of my problem he made this up for me.

The brake pads were shot after Combe, so a call to Godspeed Brakes and they recommended me some CL Brake Pads RC5

Just got to cut down my rear studs now to take the new rims and then I'm ready to get the suspension set up again and look for some more track time.

Sorry about the delay but the past few months have been mental and only last week I had finally got to work on the snot since our daughter was born in September let alone keep this page up to date.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members