oil for rebuilt engine?

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
im after some advice, as you all aware my engine is being rebuilt and is nearly complete! :)

its now coming down to the point of deciding which oil to use.. semi or fully synthetic and what grade? im only going to be using decent oil.

regards

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
to be honest i havent really had much of a chance to have a chat to him about it, i do understand that, that will be the best thing to do but would like to know what anybody else thinks if had any experience with this.

thanks again

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
id use the normal stuff but a good name like castrol GTX and then just keep the revs down for a while, not sure how long though.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
i am somewhat confused, some people say no to let the revs drop below 2500rpm for the first 20 mins?

88rsr

May 25, 2008
yeah its better to thrash the engine at first than to let it idle, well not thrash but give a bit of stick as it can actually cause damage to let a rebuilt engine idle for the first few miles, as for the oil, not sure what to use first but once uve run it in id say use a fully synthetic, it may cost more but the difference it can make on how smooth it runs is even noticable to listen to in a lot of cases, hope its all sweet whatever you do anyway :)

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
Millers is a highly reccomended oil, there was some big court battle about Castrol wanting the levels for synthetic and semi synthetic oils lowered to pass off their cheaper oils. Your basically paying for a name.

With running in i went with a 1000 miles without putting it under a lot of load (full throttle) and not above 4k. Some say thrash it, some say plod around. I went old school and seems to work alright.

From memory 10/40 is the weight you want.

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
yeah its better to thrash the engine at first than to let it idle, well not thrash but give a bit of stick as it can actually cause damage to let a rebuilt engine idle for the first few miles, as for the oil, not sure what to use first but once uve run it in id say use a fully synthetic, it may cost more but the difference it can make on how smooth it runs is even noticable to listen to in a lot of cases, hope its all sweet whatever you do anyway :)

think its less thrashing and more keeping the oil pressure up so everything is fully lubed. not sure you'd get full oil pressure at idle. but may be wrong

myseatcupra

ibiza fr tdi
May 14, 2007
cardiff/penarth
well if i'd paid a wedge of cash to have my engine rebuilt. i'd take it easy for something like 500 miles then build up. can only be good to let things settle. and if something did go amiss maybe you'd only have a little damage and not everything bent lol

and this might be stating the obvious but keep an eye on oil/water temps and pressures. and do an oil change at the end of your run in period so all the crap thats floating about gets flushed out.

these are just my ideas, what id do. other people may have different opinions

Last edited:

88rsr

May 25, 2008
fair doos, im just saying from memory as my old gaffer said the worst thing you could ever do to an engine hes rebuilt is to let it idle n drive like an old woman at 30 in 5th everywhere within the first miles of it being done so im guessing everyones experiences are different, may depend on the confidence of the person who does the rebuild also so i dno really its up to you at the end of the day eh :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.