Documenting fix for poor idle and slow acceleration, Cordoba 1.4 2006

Al_Cordoba_King

Jun 22, 2014
Wanted to briefly document my troubles and fix for a poor idle and awful acceleration on my Seat Cordoba 1.4 2006.

Over the past 12 months I have had a rough idle and poor acceleration. While driving in first gear in slow traffic, the car would jerk and feel like it was about to cut out. Towards the end the Cordoba would cut out at traffic lights and stops after moving for seemingly no reason. The revs would throttle from ~900 - ~500. If you listen to the car in idle, you could hear a loud whirring every 40 seconds.

I also have had problems with my EGR (error code P0402). At the time of writing this, the code is gone after applying this fix (Unsure if this is permanent).

FIX (For idle and acceleration atleast):
I suspected it was something to do with the throttle body, possibly misaligned overtime. The throttle body is located near the top right corner of the engine cap. (Sorry for layman terms..)

After some research online, I discovered that it was possible to realign the throttle body through the cars computer/ECU using a VAG-COM system. Up until now I have been relying on a cheap OBDII reader.

The Vag Com is a whole new world for messing with the ecu, you can read more here: (Edit: I can't post urls, google ross tech for more..) and I presume it's been extensively covered on the forum somewhere. The sites prices are high. I found a cheap alternative (€40 for hardware and software) on a p2p advert site (Dublin, Ireland). Many garages etc can probably do the same if you're not interested in a DIY job.

Using the VCDS, and the rosstech video guide for throttle body alignment, I realigned my throttled body in 40 seconds. My idle and acceleration trouble instantly disappeared and the car feels like it has an extra 50hp added!!

Here are the basic steps using the VAG software:
Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 060
[Go!]
[Switch to basic settings]
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switch to basic settings. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
[Switch to Meas. Blocks] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!​

Hope this helps some lone searchers! Reply if you have similar trouble and need help or have any suggestions for this thread! :D

bukkake_face

Jan 11, 2013
Thanks for the adaptation hint, from time to time I have acceleration issues and the engine even cuts out.
Regarding the EGR - P0402, perhaps the valve is clogged with coal and cannot move properly, so you have to dismount EGR valve and clean it from the inside with some kerosene or similar liquid.
i.imgur.com/oAQbB3x.jpg
i.imgur.com/2VCbETL.jpg

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.