Indicators internmently flashing

kyleclio

Feb 2, 2018
Just noticed there is a clicking noise coming from the dashboard and when I lock the car the hazards lights are intermittently flashing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Back in the 2000s some VWs ended up with an issue with the indicators that was caused by some contact material coming free within the indicator stalk area and that was causing "ghost" operation of the indicators intermittently - sometimes nothing more than the indicator "telltale" buzzer/chime ticking. Another issue with some VWs at that time was a failure within the hazard warning switch, which in some VWs also controlled the indicator function.

The fix for the ticking problem was either to clean the indicator stalk switch by spraying IPA into that region in an attempt to wash any small bits of conducting free contact material out, or if that failed, replacing the hazard warning switch.

At that time I ended up with an issue with the indicators, but that manifested itself by the indicators flashing maybe two times and then staying switched on, ie no more flashing while the indicator arm was switching the indicators on, I sorted that by replacing the hazard warning switch.

I think that you will find that the hazard warning switch on these cars, is just that, ie a switch to send a signal/request to one of the car's smart modules to activate the hazard warning lights, whereas in some earlier cars the hazard warning switch did more or was more in control of how/when the lights came on.

So unfortunately that could mean that you have a wiring problem or a controller problem.

Have you tried leaving the car's engine running and switching on either indicator for maybe 5 or 10 minutes to see if their operation is intermittent?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members