A/C headache

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017
MY Freetrack A/C does not seem to cool, just had it regassed, but still no cold air?? The compressor seems to be engaged continuously, and after a few minutes of running the cooling fans kick in and don't seem to stop regardless of temperature controls or engine temp??

Need to find out what is happening, I can't believe its a knackered compressor as its only done 56k.

Anyone else had similar issues?

Last edited:

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Think I may of found the fault, ranged to release the pressure sensor plug, to be met by £50 worth of refrigerant being pushed through the sensor, tturns out the sensor is fabricated into the pipe so need to replace the whole thing!!

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Has anyone else experienced a fault on the pressure sensor? If its a common issue I'll buy a new pipe, but if its just bad luck then I'll source a secondhand one.

Mark_B

Dec 13, 2018
Has anyone else experienced a fault on the pressure sensor? If its a common issue I'll buy a new pipe, but if its just bad luck then I'll source a secondhand one.
Did you ever get your problem sorted? Our Altea XL has a similar sounding problem, it won't cool in the summer without turning auto off and setting the temperature to 16 degrees, even then you still get warm (or ambient) air out of the drivers face level vent! We had it re-gassed and looked at by a few places, including one air-con expert who said there's nothing wrong with it and you don't need to run it on auto... I have always used auto and just set the temperature on every VAG car I've had with Climatronic type systems.

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
I’ve got exactly the same problem with my xl, been told by my mechanic it requires a new switch located somewhere I can’t rem where he said, it will need in gassing and replacing

A-Spot

Old Newbie
Sep 27, 2017
I replaced the pressure sensor on the drivers side next to the radiator, at first I thought it was part of the pipe assembly (as shown on vagcat drawing I’d seen, but it removes without loosing refrigerant as there is a valve on pipe.

The sensor wasn’t working, had corroded causing it not to work and also allowing gas to escape through the middle of it.
Once new on was fitted, regassed it and it’s been work as designed ever since. Though if I’m honest, I don’t think it’s as effective as my old Alhambra heaters.

I’ll dig out the sensor part number later.

Mark_B

Dec 13, 2018
I replaced the pressure sensor on the drivers side next to the radiator, at first I thought it was part of the pipe assembly (as shown on vagcat drawing I’d seen, but it removes without loosing refrigerant as there is a valve on pipe.

The sensor wasn’t working, had corroded causing it not to work and also allowing gas to escape through the middle of it.
Once new on was fitted, regassed it and it’s been work as designed ever since. Though if I’m honest, I don’t think it’s as effective as my old Alhambra heaters.

I’ll dig out the sensor part number later.

That's what I'd been suspecting from the research I did but I hadn't managed to find out if it was possible to remove the sensor without losing refrigerant - you've answered that one thank you! Have to agree on the performance of the Altea heating and ventilation, the windscreen demist is especially poor!

When you get chance to find the part number I'll get one of those sensors, should be a hell of a lot cheaper than a new compressor that one of the garages recommended!

Despite what I said above, I'm looking at buying a Freetrack TDI to go with the XL, how do you find yours?