simmytt

step by step speaker change.

doobeboy

By "much better" I mean that listening to anything over 8 or 9 on the volume control doesn't start to breakup, the bass seems alot richer and vocals are smooth.

f0ggy

Hi,

Thanks for the step-by-step fitted these yesterday and it makes a massive difference:)

Just wondering though in the step-by-step does mention where you fixed the little box that is part of the connections that come with the speakers, i have left it in the bubble wrapper and managed to wedge it inside the door panel.

Just wondering what everyone else did with it???

One other thing what are the speakers in the step-by-step as they look different to the ones i got 652.7i. maybe they have changed the design???

Last edited by a moderator:

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
i stuck my crossovers to the door using double sided tape to prevent it rattling when hitting bumps

as for the speakers i think the are a differant make from out infinities

shaunw

Apr 13, 2007
HANTS
I secured the crossover boxes to the inside door frame using cable ties, Obviously you need to make sure that the location you choose doesnt foul the window mechanism when putting the window down, checked mine with the door panel still off and its fine, theres quite a bit of room in there really.:)

pr-photo

I fitted my crossover inside the speaker cutout area by removing the crossover box.

There is only 1 capacitor and 1 inductor on the board so taped them up to prevent shorts.

The package then slots in the space above the speaker away from any chance of getting wet.

Will post a guide later with some photos

pr-photo
http://www.pr-photo.co.uk

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
If you want to keep the tweeter, are there any speakers available that come as a like for like replacement? I've seen speakers labelled 'mid base' but am not sure if these are more designed to be used like a sub? e.g. http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dynamics-sd61-p-5520.html?cadid=c033441c5d29168654e1548c026ebe1c

(I'm not sure what size the speakers are in the Leon so the above is just an example)

Also, has anyone used the hole while the speaker is out to stuff it with anything to stop the vibrations and buzzing from the speaker?

Paul_W

Jul 23, 2006
Rutland
My main worry is that doing the change this way (disabling the built in tweeter) I would imagine brings the whole sound like it's coming from your feet. I remember the same thing with the standard speakers in my old 306. With that car though it was easy as hell to pop the door cards off and install components.

Xenomorph 1977

hey simmytt i got a qeustion...
on the fourth picture (starting from above)where you can see the original connector from the original speaker and you are holding another connector with black and red wires, also 2 of the the black and red wire's are looped on it, i geuss is is for the connection of the tweeter?
i would like to know the brand and type(number) of that connector
like that way it is fairly easy to connect and loop the tweeter...no soldering or electrical tape needed.
Many thanks
regards

Xenomorph 1977

on the fourth picture (starting from above)where you can see the original connector from the original speaker and you are holding another connector with black and red wires, also 2 of the the black and red wire's are looped on it, i geuss is is for the connection of the tweeter?
like that way it is fairly easy to connect and loop the tweeter...no soldering or electrical tape needed.
Many thanks
regards

Xenomorph 1977

Many thanks

Xenomorph 1977

Hey simmytt,thanks for reaction
So, if i understand correctly, the connector comes withe the adaptors, for mounting youre new speakers?
offcourse i will have to ask it has to be for the leon 2?
thanks
Patrick

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
This all looks good - only but I don't get is about the tweeter. I want to retain use of the existing one - do I just not cut any wires to do this? Is there an issue in doing this? I assume there is a reason everyone has been disabling them...

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
becuase the new speakers already have tweeters, so having two sets of tweeters would sound odd surely.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Aye, I get that, but I'm just a bit worried it'll lose some of the sound with it only coming from the bottom of the door. Is it not noticeable?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members