Engine mount bolts snapped after cam belt change

Ænema

Took my car to a garage called "Ron Turnbull" on Middlesbrough to have my cam belt changed when I first bought the Leon in September last year.

On Friday of last week, the top engine mount bolts both snapped, leaving me with an undriveable car. Got the car recovered to a local garage who supplied a new mount, new bolts and fitted them all for £11O. Not a bad price me thinks.

Luckily, no damage was caused to the driveshafts or gearbox.

Now, this happened when I was driving at 5mph going over a speed bump, but I had literally 5 minutes before, been sat at 7O on a dual carridgeway. If the bolts had snapped then, I am sure it would have been much worse.

Now... the garage that fixed the car, printed me off the fitting instructions from Autodata - which state that NEW ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS should be used. Ron Turnbull did NOT replace these when they did the cam belt.

I have requested the actual fitting instructions from a main seat dealership, to find out whether they stipulate that new bolts should be used. But they won't get back to me until Monday.

Now I have found out, after speaking to a number of garages, that it's common practice NOT to change the bolts, even though autodata says that they should. Now I know that autodata is a guidline and not a manufacturer instruction.

I was wondering, if between now and then, someone could advise me on whether Seat would actually change the bolts or not? If they do say that the bolts should be changed, I will be taking this garage to court.

Also, if this is the case, then I will recommend to you ALL that when you get a cam belt changed, GET NEW MOUNT BOLTS PUT IN!!! They only cost 9 quid for the pair of them, and it gives you peace of mind. You do not want to be sat on a motorway when these bolts fail. It made a mess at 5mph, I cant imagine what it would have done at high speed.

Comments?

oldskool

mate of mine says this is true, they only snap if left loose or overtightened, hes a master tech at Audi

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Personally I'd be seeking £100 (minus the £9 for the parts) from the person who serviced the car. They serviced it incorrectly and caused you a cost, if you can prove their not new bolts your legally entitled to take them to court them or atleast threaten to.
They will stump up the cash.

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Just changed my engine mounts today.... new bolts too.... easy enough to do yourself if you have the patience.... that gives you peace of mind too.

How did you know when the mount bolts snapped? Noise? Vibration etc? Just for future reference?

Hope you get it sorted soon mate!

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
i would put money that 99% of dealers do not replace these bolts as they presume that the customer wont want the extra costs for some bolts. I did my own belt and didnt replace them and touch wood they are fine.

"seatleon"

Took my car to a garage called "Ron Turnbull" on Middlesbrough to have my cam belt changed when I first bought the Leon in September last year.

On Friday of last week, the top engine mount bolts both snapped, leaving me with an undriveable car. Got the car recovered to a local garage who supplied a new mount, new bolts and fitted them all for £11O. Not a bad price me thinks.

Luckily, no damage was caused to the driveshafts or gearbox.

Now, this happened when I was driving at 5mph going over a speed bump, but I had literally 5 minutes before, been sat at 7O on a dual carridgeway. If the bolts had snapped then, I am sure it would have been much worse.

Now... the garage that fixed the car, printed me off the fitting instructions from Autodata - which state that NEW ENGINE MOUNT BOLTS should be used. Ron Turnbull did NOT replace these when they did the cam belt.

I have requested the actual fitting instructions from a main seat dealership, to find out whether they stipulate that new bolts should be used. But they won't get back to me until Monday.

Now I have found out, after speaking to a number of garages, that it's common practice NOT to change the bolts, even though autodata says that they should. Now I know that autodata is a guidline and not a manufacturer instruction.

I was wondering, if between now and then, someone could advise me on whether Seat would actually change the bolts or not? If they do say that the bolts should be changed, I will be taking this garage to court.

Also, if this is the case, then I will recommend to you ALL that when you get a cam belt changed, GET NEW MOUNT BOLTS PUT IN!!! They only cost 9 quid for the pair of them, and it gives you peace of mind. You do not want to be sat on a motorway when these bolts fail. It made a mess at 5mph, I cant imagine what it would have done at high speed.

Comments?

Same thing happened to mine but not cos of the timing belt, Be careful because a few weeks after the bolt came out the thread on the engine went and i need to av a new engine fitted .

gazR

CUPRA
Apr 25, 2009
Derbyshire
when my mount bolts snapped in two, i rang THS who supplied my mounts said its more likely to be not torqued up enough rather than over torqued. i would now replace them every time they come out as its best to be safe than sorry

andycupra

status subject to change
do they definately have to undo engine mounts to change a cambelt?
im sure this wasnt done when i had mine done, - he explained to me that if you kniow what you are doing you only needed to move the charge pipe and a couple of bit around that area. (audi technician)

but then i guess the key phrase was 'if you know what you are doing'.

Last edited:

henry1

[:@]hi, I had the same problem after my cambelt was changed at seat dealer, one bolt snaped 1 week later, when i was pulling into my drive, my car was off the road for 3 days due to no local seat, vw, audi or skoda having any bolts in stock, as they dont replace them!! I reserched this and found that the seat workshop manual does not mention that the bolts require changing when the cambelt is done but does when the mounting is changed. crazy!! seat did repair mine foc but after i moaned.

Ænema

Just changed my engine mounts today.... new bolts too.... easy enough to do yourself if you have the patience.... that gives you peace of mind too.

How did you know when the mount bolts snapped? Noise? Vibration etc? Just for future reference?

Hope you get it sorted soon mate!

How did I know? Lol.

The sump was about 3 inches off the floor... and my car hasn't been lowered!!! It drove like a bag of wank (for the whole 1OOyds I drove it

You'll know if they break!

Taking the garage to court for:
new mount and bolts refund
original cambelt charge refund
recovery refund
train cost refund
time of work refund

total is about £6OO I think.

Ive also got a copy of the seat workshop manual now which states that the bolts SHOULD be changed! So got them by the bollocks on this one!!!

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
How did I know? Lol.

The sump was about 3 inches off the floor... and my car hasn't been lowered!!! It drove like a bag of wank (for the whole 1OOyds I drove it

You'll know if they break!

Hahaha fair point mate, i was having a dumb moment. :) Thanks for the clarification mind you. :)

Let's hope the court proceedings pull through for you, that looks like a good case for you mate. :)

liamcupra

Feb 4, 2011
skegness
Anyone NO where i can get this manual from?? as i am in debate with a garage telling me that their it isnt a precaution to change! Ive threatened to get the trading standards involved! So any manualsi could print stating this so i can go show him to see the look on his face :D

antony-lcr

I can print out the auto data spec's tomorrow. I'll post the picture in here :) tbh if the garage doesn't know that the bolts are stretch bolts I wouldn't trust them to even go near the timing belt

Last edited by a moderator:

offitmassive

Anyone NO where i can get this manual from?? as i am in debate with a garage telling me that their it isnt a precaution to change! Ive threatened to get the trading standards involved! So any manualsi could print stating this so i can go show him to see the look on his face :D

elsa will say it if its there. I work at an ex seat dealership and have never known this to happen. But then i rattle my bolts in place with my airgun as the torque settings are really quite high. Like 60nm +90° i don't take autodata as gospel and only use it for things like tightening torque's but elsa is where to look. I'm guessing some on here have it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.