VW UP! GT, Mii FR?

whmartin1

Oct 29, 2011
Shrewsbury
Just seen on pistonheads a report that say VW are going to make a Up! GT.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=25042

I wonder if there will be a Mii version? Mii FR or Mii Cupra?
In the article it says it will have a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder turbo, with 110bhp.
Surely if it would fit the 1.2tsi engine would be cheaper rather than having to develop another engine.

The article also says 6 speed transmition, I hope they do a DSG version as I think it could be a replacment for my IbizaSC Sportrider in 3 years!

whmartin1

Oct 29, 2011
Shrewsbury
Just found this picture on google!

6213696482_cab3714886_o.jpg

I think it looks ace! :)

gti_jones

VAG Technician
Jan 5, 2012
Sussex
I agree, the Citygo doesnt share the good looks the Up and Mii have. I cant tell which one out of the two i prefer though!

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
I think if they're releasing the facelifted Ibiza with the FR being more of a trim level than a note of performance then I don't see why the Mii would be excluded.

Maybe a new 1.0 TSi engine or try getting the current 1.2 TSi in there.

Dec 18, 2010
Lincolnshire
Would be nice to see! Rapid little machines.
As it stands currently I prefer the Mii to the other two. The Citygo is too boring and the front end of the Up! looks mangled in my opinion. Having said that, the Up! GT version does look nice.

whmartin1

Oct 29, 2011
Shrewsbury
I think they would be a brilliant, could have a 1 make race or rally series!

Little turbo engine, cheap running and insurance, but still with power to entertain!

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Just seen on pistonheads a report that say VW are going to make a Up! GT.

In the article it says it will have a 1.0 litre 3 cylinder turbo, with 110bhp.
Surely if it would fit the 1.2tsi engine would be cheaper rather than having to develop another engine.

I thought that too, but I understand the 105ps 1.2 is a 4 cylinder engine, not 3 like the 1.2n/a units in the Ibiza/Fox/Polo etc etc, so I guess it won't readily fit in.

Unless they are saving it for later...

Evsi

Aug 28, 2011
Tenby, Pembs
I'm pretty sure in one of the reports, VW have stated a GTI version of the UP!! is being explored with 125bhp from the 3 cylinder unit. It's meant to sound really good too [B)]

Ford have just unveiled their 3 cylinder unit too in the Focus :wtf:

Adam_

Dec 16, 2010
Gloucestershire
I'm pretty sure in one of the reports, VW have stated a GTI version of the UP!! is being explored with 125bhp from the 3 cylinder unit. It's meant to sound really good too [B)]

Ford have just unveiled their 3 cylinder unit too in the Focus :wtf:

If it sounds anything like my Triumph Daytona 955i (Also 3 Cylinder) Then it yes it will sound good!

matt-tsi

Matt-TSI
Dec 20, 2009
all these modern cars are going box shape lol...now we are getting sports models..what next?

product

Nov 6, 2007
I'll be holding out for the UP! GT :)

I think you may have hit on something here. Since the production Up GT hasn't been revealed yet, SEAT probably can't show anything more exciting than this concept styling piece.

I'd be hugely surprised if once the final GT is announced, the other brands don't also get access to this higher-power TSI that's floating about.