Daniel M's FR PD170 - Fixed 24.07.2017

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
I thought I would start a thread for my newley acquired Leon FR. I have had 3 Leons as works cars and loved them. My previous car was an Audi A3 TDI sport which the missus has now. I bought the car a week ago today and have only added a couple of minor bits to it since then.

The car came with 63k, full MOT, FSH, recent service & cambelt, new tyres, brakes etc. Also the car has some nice extra's like the heated seats, headlight washers and rear parking sensors. I also checked with Seat UK who confirmed the injectors were fine too.

Here's a few pictures of the car as advertised on the auto trader.

And one the day after I got back from picking it up. Had a day trip out to Worthing and then a nice 5 hr drive back to Middlesbrough. The car was a dream to drive back and was definitely worth going all that way for.

As I said I have only added a couple of things to it which were an extended iphone cable for the under seat dock to my iphone 5 and last night I fitted some LED number plate bulbs (I will get pics of them later)

Progress will be slow as currently saving for a house but going to give the car a good detail and machine polish if the rain stays away this weekend and might spray the grill surround black too.

Other plans will be either some budget coilovers or some sportlines, some gti pedals and possibly having the centre console done gloss/piano black and then eventually the dpf removed.

Comments & suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Gave the car a much needed detail and some minor machine polishing yesterday.

Before

Washed using 2 bucket method and AG Shampoo with lambs wool mitt rinsed and dried with Poorboys waffle weave towel.

I then clayed the whole car and as can be seen by the clay bar it needed it.

Also went to work on the exhaust as this was covered in soot and looked a little sorry for itself.

Before

After

I then set about machine polishing the worst affected areas using my Porter cable DA & some Poorboys SSR 3.

Before

After

And another

Before

After

I finished off with some Nattys Paste wax

I will be purchasing a rotary on pay day so I can give the whole car a good machine polish and full detail.

I am also going to tidy the calipers up an give the front and rear lights a sanding and machine polish this week.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Seems a little pointless updating this if nobody going to comment but what the hell..

Few minor updates, put some LED number plate bulbs in last week.

Also did the calipers silver last night.

sb_33

Impressive results from the detailing, I just got an FR a few weeks ago and I'm planning on giving it a good clean this weekend. What clay do you use? I've never used a clay bar before so any advice would be good.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Impressive results from the detailing, I just got an FR a few weeks ago and I'm planning on giving it a good clean this weekend. What clay do you use? I've never used a clay bar before so any advice would be good.

Thanks mate, that particular clay is Meguires clay, can be bought from any halfords. There are loads of different clays about these days and most are cheaper than the Megs one if just buying the bar and not a kit. If you want tips on how best to detail your car I would head over to detailing world (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?) as there are loads of tips and how to's.

My advice for clay is to take your time, dont work too big of an area at once and keep the bodywork well lubricated and you'll be fine. If your car has never been clayed before you might find you go through the whole bar pretty quickly but your bodywork will be fresh and smooth.

Last edited:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I'm falling on love with the all black look.

So get that grill sorted, pillars wrapped and mirrors wrapped/painted! Hehe

Looks clean. Good job

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Oh, and the car is dying to get rid of the fried eggs on the side. Get some of those silver side indicator lights. Maybe some fly-eye on them?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Would you guys prefer Megs clay over others?
I user G3 clay and it seemed really good, but really hard and it did need a lot of lubrication.
Took the finest dirt off though

Mar 3, 2012
southampton, UK
Only ever used the megs and init used it first. For all I no it could be rubbish lol seemed to get the rubbish off so I'm happy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Magicsky

I got the need for speed
Oct 8, 2012
West Sussex
Clay is a personal choice there are loads out there. In the detailing section people talk about different ones.

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
Great job on the detailing! And I really like the silver calipers, they work well

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
I'm falling on love with the all black look.

So get that grill sorted, pillars wrapped and mirrors wrapped/painted! Hehe

Looks clean. Good job

Grille is on the cars maybe this weekend, but have just bought a rotary so wanted to give the car a full correction first. Dont think I want all black as I like the mirror caps because they now match the calipers.

Oh, and the car is dying to get rid of the fried eggs on the side. Get some of those silver side indicator lights. Maybe some fly-eye on them?

Thats also on the list to do, wanted to get silvervisions for the headlights too but cant even get my hand in to take the old ones out.

Would you guys prefer Megs clay over others?
I user G3 clay and it seemed really good, but really hard and it did need a lot of lubrication.
Took the finest dirt off though

I use megs clay as its always available from halfords when desperate, ideally I would like to try some bilt hamber stuff or something a little more aggressive.

Great job on the detailing! And I really like the silver calipers, they work well

Thanks mate, had the same combo on my black Gti-6 so knew it would be a good contrast.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Grille is on the cars maybe this weekend, but have just bought a rotary so wanted to give the car a full correction first. Dont think I want all black as I like the mirror caps because they now match the calipers.

Thats also on the list to do, wanted to get silvervisions for the headlights too but cant even get my hand in to take the old ones out.

I use megs clay as its always available from halfords when desperate, ideally I would like to try some bilt hamber stuff or something a little more aggressive.

Thanks mate, had the same combo on my black Gti-6 so knew it would be a good contrast.

Ooooo...nice! I love those things. Well nippy. Having said that I'd still have an old Clio Williams as well :) Still about 4k for a decent one!

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Ooooo...nice! I love those things. Well nippy. Having said that I'd still have an old Clio Williams as well :) Still about 4k for a decent one!

They are great little cars even though they are french. I still miss the Gti-6, such a fun car.

I do also like the williams too.

Small update - ordered some new side repeaters so should have them tomorrow or monday.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Small update...

I bought some smoked side repeaters and fitted them last night.

Before

After

Before

After

I also received my new rotary polisher from clean your car, had a little go with it over the weekend but wasnt happy with it. Found it very difficult to control compared to the porter cable. Hopefully will get to grips with it this weekend after a practice on a scrap panel.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.