Vibration - poss engine mounts?

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I've been battling an annoying noise and vibration through the pedals that I thought was a boost leak. Tested and found that the turbo inlet had popped off but still have issues and seem to be getting different/worse.

At low revs and moving off there is noise and vibe, and around mid revs as moving through the gears once underway. It seems to lessen and smooth out once it's picked up.

Now I can feel a definite movement after braking and foot holding the brake pedal down, but it does ease off.

From searching I have read that some could be caused by an aftermarket Tip and it's lower hose pressing up against the brake servo and pipes. I know it's really close fitting down there so will check.

But would these possibly be worn mounts? The car is now approaching 170k on, I believe, the originals.

Any easy tests apart from seeing if I can rock the engine?

If it's the dogbone mount again any test apart from a crowbar to see it if moves (it looked ok - rubber didn't look perished- several months ago)

If it is the mounts, any need to go better than using vag standard?

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Just to answer this, I took off the Alloy Tip as I could see the pipe to the turbo inlet was very close to a brake line there. I have put the original pipework back in and it's near as damn it removed the noise and vibration.

The silicon pipe must have been expanding when running and pushing against it.

Thanks to another thread on here for the clues.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.