Brake Servo Vacuum Hose (1.2 AZQ) Part or Generic hose

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Hello again.

My latest issue has been slightly poor running and a p0171 (fuel air mix too lean) error code. I tracked this down to a split brake servo hose where it connects to a union, which I read is a common fault, and one might say mine has done well to last 146k.

I have taped the split with insulating tape to keep me running for a day or two whilst ordering a replacement. I am wondering if it is possible to replace the length of hose with generic brake vacuum hose of the appropriate diameter, or if it is essential to use the proper part? Please note, I am talking about real vacuum hose, I am not thinking of replacing it with inappropriate hose which could collapse under heat and vacuum. The hose takes a sharp 90 degree bend after leaving the throttle body, whereas any generic hose would simply has to curve through this transition.

I appreciate your thoughts on this. I estimate the cost difference to be about £5 for generic hose versus ~$25-40 for the proper part (including some plastic bits which have not failed).

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Thanks, I will try generic hose then and possibly get an elbow too.

Unfortunately since taping up the split I continue to get error codes, p0404, p0106 and p0172, so need to find some time to look more thoroughly or get a pro to investigate, although I have been wondering if this is due to closing the leak and the ecu not yet readjusting.

Last edited:

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Should the head of the egr rattle and be loose in the base? I'm guessing not. It does not look like the pictures I see online. Wondering if this could be the root of my problems.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
re codes Ross Tech are a good source of info re egr it may well be sick but I'm not sure which you have, I do know the pipe to it is prone to blockage even if the valve is OK

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Yeah the solenoid is loose on the valve, it can't be right. Ross tech are helpful but need the full version to really diagnose I think.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes the solenoid assembly should be fixed solidly to the EGR valve assembly, the newer ones even have sort of cooling fins on the solenoid coil area.

Always fit Pierburg.

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Thanks. I disconnected the egr and the engine runs better. The engine symptoms are very poor running at a cold start and then surging which quickly reduces. I wonder if the egr is activating at the solenoid but because there's no response at the valve this confused the ECU. I have ordered an egr buy the nuts are pretty rusty.

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
So it should know if it's not activating successfully. Since disconnecting the wires I no longer get the p0171 (too lean) and p0106 (fuel mix) errors, although obviously I now get p0407 egr wiring.

I'm going to ride the egr with a pierburg I have ordered and see how it runs.

Many thanks.

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Yeah, I might do homebrew penetrating lubricant of acetone and gear oil since I don't have plus gas at the minute.

Will I need gasket sealant when refitting?

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
I ended up using white spirit substitute and a mix of motor and gear oil. Pretty much any solvent and oil mix will produce a penetrating lubricant in a pinch. Nuts are off, now waiting for the torx drivers so I can get the other end of the gas recirculation pipe off the throttle body.

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
All repaired. I'm just wondering if I need to run adaptation fit the new egr?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.