possible best mod eveeeer

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
I've found another thread about this.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=330080&highlight=gas+struts

There is a post on there from the member who's video link is on page 2 of this thread. He says he used struts from an Octavia. I've checked and they are the same length.

They're priced at less than £14 each on the internet (+£6.95 postage). Dealer price is about £38 each

He listed the part number as 1U6827550F. This is for the tailgate + wiper.

Other options are :
1U6827550E ........ tailgate only
1U6827550G ........ tailgate + spoiler
1U6827550H ........ tailgate + wiper + spoiler

I'm thinking 550H will be the strongest.

strick206

Jul 8, 2011
Being new to VAG cars and VAGCOM, what do you have to do to reprogramme the system to pop the boot, i have a 57 plate leon fr, how much is this likely to cost as well?

Really would like to get this done, but worried about programming it.

Also, seen a couple of posts having not changed the bumpers? What is the best option?

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Firstly press and hold the boot button and see if the boot lock pops open

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Iv not had a chance to get on it iv been ill seems like octavia struts are the ones to go with but no varification which ones i dont think. Some are too short i dont wanna bang my head on them i have trouble with that as it is!

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Okay everyone, someone had to take the plunge and the water is lovely and warm.

The struts from the Octavia work perfectly. The ones I used were 1U6 827 550F. Nothing else required, the OEM ball pins and rubber stops don't need to be changed. Cost on the Internet was £40 including postage. Video link below

This is on a FL Leon where the struts are 515mm long (tip to tip) or 495mm (centre of ball cup to ball cup). The pre FL uses different OEM struts and I don't know the length of them.

[URL=http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z123/timsawf/Tailgate/?action=view&current=P1010009.mp4] [/URL]

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
I understand that but you the struts are not made for the leon so thought i would ask

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Know it sounds silly but don't want to go for the silly strong ones as i don't want it to open at super speed, think im gonna order the ones you used and see what happens

Thanks for all your help with this

Irfan

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
Okay everyone, someone had to take the plunge and the water is lovely and warm.

The struts from the Octavia work perfectly. The ones I used were 1U6 827 550F. Nothing else required, the OEM ball pins and rubber stops don't need to be changed. Cost on the Internet was £40 including postage. Video link below

This is on a FL Leon where the struts are 515mm long (tip to tip) or 495mm (centre of ball cup to ball cup). The pre FL uses different OEM struts and I don't know the length of them.

Just to confirm yours is a facelift model, did you do your own VCDS changes??
If so, can you please just pos a quick guide on what to change?

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Pressing it once and releasing just unlocks it. Hold the middle button down for a couple of seconds and it will open it but the struts aren't strong enough to move the tailgate in that position so it seems like it is just unlocking.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise