sub and amp install (now updating to include full Amped speakers too!!)

Ben Mason

Aug 21, 2010
Plymouth, Devon
This guide has been invaluable, brilliant guide. Thanks a lot mate. Got it all wired up nearly, just waiting for my High to Low Level RCA Converter to come and then it's all ready to go.

Just out of curiosity more than anything, if we didn't use a high to low level converter, would the amp just blow the rear speakers that it's connected to?

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
The high to low converters are there so the amplifier does not get 'over stressed'.

a phono (RCA) input only needs a low voltage / power signal, Whilst the High output is designed to power the speakers.

Putting a High signal in to the RCA input of an amp can and will damage the input amplifier on your amp and I personally have seen a few amplifiers die from this.

JordanMk3

WackyColouredWheelsFTW
Jan 18, 2010
Little Hulton, Manchester
Right, I have looked at this thread for long enough.. And its time for me to get my arse into gear and wire in my sub. Its been looking at me for ages in my bedroom and now, its time!! Lol.. I'll let you know how it goes, if I need any help, is it okay if I bug you on here please dude?
Thanks again for the guide mate..

SEAT-LEON-LOUIE

i read this 20 times ! ( no jokes ) i have wired in the sub and amp now and its all gravy ! bit of time and effort and it all pays off ! ( but do get a good phono converter ) i paid £40 off fleabay and it was pucker ! this is a must do ! thanks for the great thread !!

gaz.l

hello guys purchased my ibiza mk3 week ago it already had a wiring kit in also the converter box but my sub isint making any noise at all nothing help plzzz

gaz.l

Still having problems do I have to have a converter cos I just got a connection that u wire up to rear speakers and then RCA are coming out the other end ? ?

Andrew1

This guide was really helpful for me, but my fuse was under the scuttle panel and some how melted the fuse heat coming from the engine somewhere has more than likely caused it, it was a 40amp fuse definately should have held the power of my sub,

Where is the best location to put the subwoofer fuse on a mk 3 ibiza cupra?

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
This guide was really helpful for me, but my fuse was under the scuttle panel and some how melted the fuse heat coming from the engine somewhere has more than likely caused it, it was a 40amp fuse definately should have held the power of my sub,

Where is the best location to put the subwoofer fuse on a mk 3 ibiza cupra?

if your talking about the power line from the battery to the amp in the boot, the fuse must be kept as close as possible to the battery.
it is there to ensure that if the power cable is shorted to the chassis then the fuse will blow before your car catches fire.

there is no way a fuse should melt from the heat of the engine unless your dangling it over the exhaust.
put the fuse just right of the battery near the air intake and that should be fine :)
Thats where i had mine located and i was running a JL audio A 1200 Mono block amp with an E4300 sitting next to it. no problems with a 40A fuse.

Andrew1

Thanks, yea i am hopeing there was movement inside the fusebox which caused it to overheat and not a wire elsewhere which has become trapped and caused it .