Wind Deflector Issues.

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
Ive never had an issue with wind deflectors with any of my previous cars until my leon.

When trying to fit the deflectors, ill use the clips and place where suggested.
When i go to put the window up they catch (as per usual) they will then automatically go back down (this usually happens when I've fitted them to other cars)
But when i go to close the window to try again, the window will not move, it seems to lock just the one window all the way down that I've tried to fit the deflector too, all other 3 windows work
It does this with any window i try, it just seems to lock the window completely, I've tried to disconnect the battery to reset it all, the window is still locked down, i also tried to put the key in the door to close the windows, still no joy.
The only way i could close the window was to take the door card off and unplug the window motor and plug it back in, then the window would work again..
Has anyone else had this issue or am i just going to have to not have deflectors?
TIA :)

Last edited:

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
That sounds rather strange, it may be a problem with micro switches controlling the window. If the window works without the deflector then double check the defector isn’t miss shaped. Then wiggle a screw driver around channel particularly around the clips when it’s fitted to try and stop it catching the window.

I fitted wind deflectors to my MK1 last summer, I think 1 window may have bounced. But all the windows have been fine since. Have you tried giving the window a helping hand while it’s going up to stop it bouncing?

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
That sounds rather strange, it may be a problem with micro switches controlling the window. If the window works without the deflector then double check the defector isn’t miss shaped. Then wiggle a screw driver around channel particularly around the clips when it’s fitted to try and stop it catching the window.

I fitted wind deflectors to my MK1 last summer, I think 1 window may have bounced. But all the windows have been fine since. Have you tried giving the window a helping hand while it’s going up to stop it bouncing?

Deflectors are all normal no weird shapes, Did check this the first time it happened.
I tried pulling at the deflector as the window rose to pull it away to allow more room for the window, Tried some lubricant spray, extra clips than suggested in each window, no joy at all.

I'm guessing I'ts a safety feature where it goes back down if something jams in the window, But why it wont go back up, thats what bothers me, As i said, the windows usually go back down after hitting when i usually fit the deflectors for the first time in most of my cars, i just cant get my head around why the window ive tried to fit the deflector to will catch the deflector, go all the way down or half way sometimes and lock (will not move at all) While all other 3 work as normal, just the one i try at the time locks and has to be stripped down completely for it to work again.

We tried to slide it up with our hands while holding the button also, its refuses to move completely unless stripped down.
Also tried guiding it with our hands as we lift the window but it always catches, every time, its the first car ive ever struggled with, i have never used the clips before this one but after it jammed the first time i tried to use them but i constantly have the same problem, ive tried about 6 times now since ive had the car since December with the clips in all different places.

Last edited:

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
I did mine a few weeks back and all went well once I found that it best to pull the deflector out slightly just as the window gets close.

It will go up but i did need a few practice goes.

Once it is in then leave it up for a few hours. This seems to settle it down.

After finding that worked on the drivers front I got the rest done in a few minutes, left them all in place overnight and all good since.

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
I did mine a few weeks back and all went well once I found that it best to pull the deflector out slightly just as the window gets close.

It will go up but i did need a few practice goes.

Once it is in then leave it up for a few hours. This seems to settle it down.

After finding that worked on the drivers front I got the rest done in a few minutes, left them all in place overnight and all good since.

Will have to try again soon, thanks for the reply.

DeanJunior

Mar 10, 2018
Cumbria
Easiest way is as said above, when the window is coming up prize the wind deflector apart so the window can sit as far up as possible and then leave it for a few hours to settle down.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members