Quick Question about fuel

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I have one rule, stay away from Morrison’s fuel - my car runs like a dog on that stuff. Even before my mods and even before my Cupra. Pretty sure that stuff is just water!

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue) Stage 2

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
no, you are correct. they both have slightly different ethanol content and other additives. but are made from the same crude stock, so there really is very little difference.

A lot of people slate supermarket fuel with no reason. I have worked in Oil & gas for 9 years... all super market fuel is produced by the big brand refineries (Shell, Valero, Murco, Conoco Philips etc)

Obviously you get the best performance from running the RON rating that your engine is designed for, but people who say 'I only use V power'..... :shrug:

It is the additives that make the difference though. Yes, the base fuel is the same - there are only a limited number of places to get that from, but the performance differences come from the low dosage but highly active additives put into the base fuel. These are added at the loading stage, so whilst it might look like the same fuel is being pumped out of a distribution hub, the additives are being dosed into the fuel during the loading process dependent on who the fuel is for.

Otherwise it is like saying an americano from Costa or Starbucks is the same as an instant coffee made at home - it all has the same water in it.

PS - I have worked in oil & gas for 25 years ;)

Last edited:

hepy

Aug 20, 2017
I have never tried V Power in mine, mainly run on 95 octane with every 4th fill up being Sainsburys Premium or Momentum.

Does V Power really make that much difference?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I'm definitely in the camp of "can't tell the difference". I think having a few shopping bags in the boot would be more noticeable :p

I guess if you plan on keeping the car for many years it may be prudent to run it on the highest quality fuel around, but if you're just going to change it after a couple of years then I'd say it's not money well spent. This from my own point of view, not as a fact.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
I have only done 1300 miles in mine but have mainly used momentum but occasionally where I have not be near to a Tesco's I have gone for a premium 97, cannot really tell any difference between the 2 to be honest.

Invicta

Apr 15, 2012
Wearside
Definitely noticed a difference in performance and economy between 95ron and vpower in my previous car, a Mk2 leon sport 185bhp. Now i have a Cupra 280, i cant yet see a difference in performance. As for economy i hav'nt had it long enough to really check it out.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I was just wondering what petrol you put into your Cupra.
Only asking as I've just brought my own Cupra 280! I filled it up with a full tank of BP ultimate 97.
When I had my Cupra 280, it only got V Power. Had to use a lower grade once when the garage was shut and the difference was very noticeable. My Golf R has only ever had V Power from new and it runs like a dream.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hepy

Aug 20, 2017
After reading the thread, thought I would give V Power a try. Usually use supermarket 95 Ron or Tesco Momentum.

Filled up Thursday, so far no difference in economy but it does feel smoother pulling away.

Mind you, £5 more for 50 litres than Momentum.

Only 150 miles so far, will see how it goes.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
After reading the thread, thought I would give V Power a try. Usually use supermarket 95 Ron or Tesco Momentum.

Filled up Thursday, so far no difference in economy but it does feel smoother pulling away.

Mind you, £5 more for 50 litres than Momentum.

Only 150 miles so far, will see how it goes.
That's all I've used since buying my car new apart from one occasion when they didn't have any - had to use ordinary fuel and noticed the difference straight away. Wouldn't touch supermarket 95 with a 10 foot barge pole!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

pastrami

MK3 LEON ST FR 2.0 TDI184
May 15, 2017
Kent
V Power for me, in Diesel 184 FR. Revo to 230 or whatever. No complaints. Happily pay the extra few hundred quid a year to know that it's getting the best fuel and is running great.

Get anywhere between 410 - 500+miles a tank depending on what kind of driving i'm doing between fill ups (long motorway runs vs sitting in London traffic and burning back and forth to supermarket!).

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.