Leon FR Key Battery

Supersun

Feb 10, 2016
Hi Guys,

How often have you all been getting the 'Change Key Battery' notification on the dashboard when starting the car up?

I had the message in January 2016 when I first bought the car so I the dealer changed the battery for me. 1 year on, I've had the message again asking me to change the battery.

Is this normal? Would've thought the battery would last longer than 1 year!

Thanks.

Dt-spd

Sep 1, 2015
Rugby
Had my car since July 2015 and never had to change the key battery. Maybe your dealer fitted low grade batteries that have not lasted very long ??

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
In the 2 and a half years that we had our Leon we used one key fob exclusively and never had to change a battery.

Previous to that we had a Golf Mk5 for seven years. Again, only one key fob used and never changed the battery.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Funnily enough my has just given me the same message. My car was new in May 2015. I've order the same Panasonic battery that was originally fitted. The battery life will depend on the quality of the battery the dealer fitted for you as well as how often you use it.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Mine flashed up last week for the 1st time. Strangely it done it twice and hasn't done it since. Changed the battery today.

CR2025 3v battery is needed and takes 2secs to do.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I changed one battery myself at 15 months while the other key is fine at the mo, my Honda keys have batteries in them at 7 1/2 years old and going strong.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
I had the message come up a few days ago so thought I had better change the battery in the main key fob as I was selling my car today and didn't want any problems showing up when they appraised the car. Takes approx 30 seconds to change and that included dropping the battery and scrabbling around the floor to pick it up.

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
Only changed it yesterday for 1st time after 2.5 years..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
That's a coincidence! This message appeared for the first time ever this afternoon for one of my keys on my 38 month old Leon FR, and was wondering what type of replacement battery I should purchase, so it is useful to know that it should be a CR2025.

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
My first battery lasted me almost 2 years, the second, which was Duracell, lasted about a month before the warning showed again. Then again , I always fold my mirrors in everytime I lock the car.

ESS

Jan 11, 2016
Change mine twice in 12 months but i do hold the button down so the mirrors fold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
Mine has been giving me a battery low warning for about 2 months now, it still works fine even from a distance.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Changed mine once in 8 years.. Our Ibiza's has not been changed in 5 years and works from at least 80yds.

Last edited:

ali831

Apr 19, 2008
hampshire
Read this thread last night. Got in the car this morning to go to work and bam got the replace battery message as well, freaky! Its almost as if battery manufacturers have hacked into the system to boost battery sales lol.
Car will be 3 years old in march, have owned it exactly 2 years so not sure if battery was replaced before we got it, it's not used daily and mirrors only folded in a couple of times a week i.e. shopping car parks. Plus hubby and I have a key each and share the driving so its not as if one key is being used all the time. Never replaced the battery at all in the 7 years we owned the previous leon and that only had one key!

Just need to ask when I get a new battery is there anything I have to bear in mind, I know how to do it but on a previous car when I changed the battery it lost all connection with the central locking and refused to work. mechanic said I must have taken too long when I took the old battery out ( a few seconds!!) as that was the cause and they wanted £60 to reprogramme the key and to make sure next time I was stood close to the car when I change a battery. Needless to say I have never used that garage again as sounded like utter bulls*it to me

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members