difference between fr and cupra ?

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Brackley, Northamptonshire
I'd settled on a Leon, mainly because of the availability of Adaptive Cruise Control and it being a Golf underneath without the premium price tag. I wanted something quick too.

I went to see a 184 diesel FR at a dealership nearby, but the car had been sold that morning. So as to not waste my trip I asked for a test drive in a Leon, all they had to hand was a Cupra 280 which I had a go in and was deeply impressed, but felt that it would be too expensive and Mrs wouldn't approve.

I did eventually get to drive a 184 diesel FR and it was nice, but I couldn't get the Cupra out of my head. I was on the lookout for a new car after just 6 months into owning a BMW 530d GT, which I'd quickly lost interest in. I didn't want to make the same mistake again and buy something I didn't LOVE. So I bought the Cupra and 2½ years later I still love it like I did on that first test drive.....

Follow your heart, not your head......:D

Reactions: LouG

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
I bought my 2013 1.8TSI FR last year. Like a previous poster said it depends what you're comparing it to. My previous car was a 2004 Toyota Corolla so I was pretty impressed with the FR. I considered the 208 GTI, Fiesta ST and Corsa VXR. But the Leon felt a bit more grown up and the build quality and reliability of the other cars worried me a bit.

As an ex-lease car the FR has a high spec as well. Also the FR's above the 1.4 have independent suspension, bigger brakes and wheels IIRC, as mentioned previously. It feels pretty good to me, is pretty flat when cornering and decent power. I'm quite bad at drag racing though so it's not unusual for me to be embarrassed by much more rubbish cars, I'm letting the side down a bit. I'm tempted to upgrade to a Cupra but I couldn't really afford one at the time I bought the FR. I'm sure they handle much better than the FR and are at least 100PS more powerful so it must make a difference. Not sure about DSG, I like the idea of paddles but I quite like the manual box as it is. Recently I've been going out driving on a Sunday just for fun. The more I drive the FR the more impressed I am with it. I feel like we're bonding more recently :)

Cheers,

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Something I forgot to mention, the Cupra comes with the adaptive dampers. In comfort mode I believe it's actually softer than the FR's steel sprung suspension that's tuned to be sporty.

Then you also have Sport and Cupra settings that really tighten things up.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Something I forgot to mention, the Cupra comes with the adaptive dampers. In comfort mode I believe it's actually softer than the FR's steel sprung suspension that's tuned to be sporty.

Even on the 19"s?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

milnei

Jun 26, 2015
Even on the 19"s?

I agree, the narrow sidewalls can crash into potholes but overall ride comfort is excellent. I'm carrying a few extra pounds and in comfort mode not a lot jiggles around, whereas the FR made me want to lose some weight...!

I must add that those 19"s are the strongest wheels I've ever had. I've hit potholes that have damages tyres, but the wheels are still true and unbuckled.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I agree, the narrow sidewalls can crash into potholes but overall ride comfort is excellent. I'm carrying a few extra pounds and in comfort mode not a lot jiggles around, whereas the FR made me want to lose some weight...!

I must add that those 19"s are the strongest wheels I've ever had. I've hit potholes that have damages tyres, but the wheels are still true and unbuckled.
Yeah it definitely rides ok on the 19" better as a result of the dampers, but I wasn't sure it'd be more comfortable than an FR on 18"s

I haven't been as lucky with the pot holes though.
Lost 3 tyres and buckled a wheel over the past 2 and a bit years.

Wasn't driving at stupid speeds either.

SimonFR150

Aug 11, 2017
It doesn't help the conversation, but I love my 1.4 Eco TSI ST. I have been considering having it chipped, but living costs aren't allowing it right now. But I enjoy driving it a lot.

Would I like a Cupra? I think anyone who likes cars would really secretly like the faster, sportier version! But I'm happy with my FR, and I find it very quick. I did after all come from a gutless Mondeo estate 1.8 petrol that didn't do anything when the accelerator was pressed! So anything would seem quick after that. It isn't VRS quick, but quick enough for most purposes. I find that on UK roads I rarely ever get a chance to open her up, so I think driving a Cupra would be an exercise in frustration getting stuck behind people with no safe overtaking opportunities, and in traffic jams! Not to mention the shitty potholed road surfaces in the UK, which has just wrecked one of my tyres.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I found far more safe overtaking opportunities in the Cupra than my last car. It takes less than half the distance.

+1

My roundabout game has even stepped up. Can get across safely when others couldn't ;)

For me the CUPRA just seems to inspire confidence. Doesn't feel like it's always wanting to "go", but when you are ready it will.

Reactions: LouG

Trout

Feb 28, 2018

This has certainly been my own experience.

BreadlyBrown

Jan 24, 2013
Southampton
It doesn't help the conversation, but I love my 1.4 Eco TSI ST. I have been considering having it chipped, but living costs aren't allowing it right now. But I enjoy driving it a lot.

Would I like a Cupra? I think anyone who likes cars would really secretly like the faster, sportier version! But I'm happy with my FR, and I find it very quick. I did after all come from a gutless Mondeo estate 1.8 petrol that didn't do anything when the accelerator was pressed! So anything would seem quick after that. It isn't VRS quick, but quick enough for most purposes. I find that on UK roads I rarely ever get a chance to open her up, so I think driving a Cupra would be an exercise in frustration getting stuck behind people with no safe overtaking opportunities, and in traffic jams! Not to mention the shitty potholed road surfaces in the UK, which has just wrecked one of my tyres.
I did this exact change from a 150 FR ST to a Cupra ST. There are lots of little differences (apart from the power) that all add up to make a completely different car.

With the FR you say you feel there aren't enough safe passing opportunities but with the Cupra those same opportunities are easy pickings and you learn to trust it will get you past with time to spare.

As others have said comfort wise in normal mode it's actually slightly more forgiving than the FR. The only slightly disappointing thing I found at first was that the interior was almost identical to the FR. Apart from the bucket seats and a couple of chequered flag logos on the dash and centre tunnel you won't notice any difference.

Well worth it if you can afford it I say.

MK3 Leon ST Cupra 290 Black Edition

silles

May 4, 2017
Now that I have just part exchanged my FR 1.4 ACT to a new Cupra 300:
Cupra
- Better suspension, Comfort is a bit softer than the FRt on bumpy roads, Sport/Cupra is hard
- Better traction off the line.
- Better looking
- Better exhaust tone, I like when u start the car and it makes a nice burp + DSG backfire/fart
- Way faster, in any gear u can accelerate faster than my FR
- interior is nice(r)
- more smile per gallon

- FR:
- better MPG
- cheaper
- less harsh hitting potholes
- not really exiting to drive

Don't take it personally, I liked my FR it was a nice car, i just got bored of it quickly

Reactions: SteveFR and jammer

Deleted member 103408

Don't forget there are three speed warnings on the car to help you not speed.

Plus if you have the correct setup you can enable traffic sign recognition to remind you on the FIS what the speed limit is.

silles

May 4, 2017
Don't forget there are three speed warnings on the car to help you not speed.

Plus if you have the correct setup you can enable traffic sign recognition to remind you on the FIS what the speed limit is.

3 warnings?
I only found one, where u can set a certain speed and if gives a warning sound if u exceed that

Deleted member 103408

On my car there is the standard speed warning that you can set, I also have a winter tyre speed warning and then there is one you can turn on using OBD11 or VCDS which is defaulted to 75 I think, they all bing as well as giving you a warning on the screen.

Pain up the backside but very helpful in keeping you under the loose license speed on motorway