Sealing Garage floor

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Evening all,

Looking at getting the car in the garage in a few months and as I currently have a concrete floor that's will quite dusty I'd like to seal it enough to with stand most things...

Not looking to paint it as no one sees it.

I've seen a pva option done but most people paint on top.

Any ideas from someone who's done this sort of thing would be great.

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

MarkTDI

Feb 19, 2018
East Yorkshire
I would use diluted PVA, a 5 litre container of PVA from screwfix etc is only about £10, or waterproof PVA is about £20.

Give the floor a good stiff brushing first and maybe pressure wash it if there is enough fall/drainage and leave to dry for a few days.

If the brick walls of the garage are also bitty and dusty give them a good brushing with stiff brush and you can also PVA those on the inside of the garage to stop dust and bits etc.

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
recently did mine...

good brush out first
i had to use a tub of self leveling compound as it was a touch rough in places
all over with PVA
you say no one sees it but paint it anyway, you've done most of the work to this point.
Grey from Screwfix is cheap enough..£17 and should do 2 coats if not too rough, use a cheap throwaway roller

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-floor-paint-grey-2-5ltr/74591

i painted the walls with some old white/cream emulsion and along with the floor you'll be surprised by how light it will be in there.
a painted floor is so much easier to sweep and you at least know that the paint is still there stopping the dust

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I would use diluted PVA, a 5 litre container of PVA from screwfix etc is only about £10, or waterproof PVA is about £20.

Give the floor a good stiff brushing first and maybe pressure wash it if there is enough fall/drainage and leave to dry for a few days.

If the brick walls of the garage are also bitty and dusty give them a good brushing with stiff brush and you can also PVA those on the inside of the garage to stop dust and bits etc.

Thank for your reply buddy, seems like PVA is the way forward. Did you use the waterproof or standard?

I'm finding that no matter how much I brush it there's just more dust lol I currently don't own a pressure washer so that's out.

Can it still be dusty when putting down the PVA?

recently did mine...

good brush out first
i had to use a tub of self leveling compound as it was a touch rough in places
all over with PVA
you say no one sees it but paint it anyway, you've done most of the work to this point.
Grey from Screwfix is cheap enough..£17 and should do 2 coats if not too rough, use a cheap throwaway roller

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-floor-paint-grey-2-5ltr/74591

i painted the walls with some old white/cream emulsion and along with the floor you'll be surprised by how light it will be in there.
a painted floor is so much easier to sweep and you at least know that the paint is still there stopping the dust

Cheers buddy

I'll have to check leveling before starting, how thick were the layers when you applied it?

As it's only a single garage and the stuff inside has to go somewhere whilst this is happening so 2 coats of pva and 2 coats of paint is more than a day one assumes as I guess 4 hours per coat.

You think the PVA will hold stuff on it without causing dints then paint the next day?

Thanks for the link, did you mix pva or just straight on with it lol

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Driving - SEAT Leon Mk2 Cupra R 2010
Previous Car - SEAT Leon Mk2 FR 2007

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
from memory PVA was something like 5>1 PVA? it'll tell you on container
you don't have to get every single piece of dirt up, the PVA will hold it down

I 'think' i did 2 coats PVA but i have nearly everything in garage on shelves so no issue there

the paint does take more than 4 hrs to dry and be safe to walk on, the warmer the better obviously, take a look at the Q & A's , page 2, may be an issue in your case?

If you're stuck for time then PVA at the very least will be of benefit short term, then paint later in the year?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Acid wash followed by an Epoxy Garage Floor Paint give a great finish.
Cost about £80 I think for it all when I did my garage. Bought it from https://www.regalfloorpaint.co.uk/floor-paint/
It will last for years. Just like you would get in

Thanks for your reply,

I was about to order the following today lol

Primer/sealer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005AH8EBA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Paint
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005QWMIPC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3T8QMXPG76NH6&psc=1

I will have to look at that website now before I do haha

Cheers

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
Epoxy paint / resin is in a total different league to normal garage floor paint. It does cost a fair bit more but will last.
All depends on how long you want it to last and what can afford I guess.

I looked at some youtube videos first to find out about it

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Epoxy paint / resin is in a total different league to normal garage floor paint. It does cost a fair bit more but will last.
All depends on how long you want it to last and what can afford I guess.

I looked at some youtube videos first to find out about it
Did you not seal your concrete before putting this on then?

As my garage is only a year old I assumed I'd need to get rid and stop the dust before painting...

Cheers for the heads up

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
Mine was a year old too. Don't seal it.

You do acid wash which takes a tiny amount of film off the top

Then brush away / vac all dust off.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Some paints don't bond correctly once PVa has been applied.

If the concrete mix is correct then any concrete paint will be fine, if not then it'll always lift with warm or warm/wet tyres regardless of paints used..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.