Rusty hubs (mainly the actual hub) stuck wheels

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I had some new tyres fitted all round a few days ago.

Like many I have some rust on the visible part of the hub which is in fact part of the disc.

I hadn't had the wheels off for a while and I found the were stuck solid on the hub nose.

Really took quite some effort even after soaking in WD40.

It seems the little cut outs n the wheel face that buts to the disc hub let the water in. Well done VAG!

Can't remember this on my Mk5 Golf's.

In addition the water has got in to some of the bolt or extra holes in the disc, which no doubt will make the discs a complete sod to get off when they need changing!

I try my hardest not to get too much water on the hub and the brakes.

Frustrating.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
A little copa-slip or white grease on the hub surface and back of the wheel will prevent sticking in the future.

Reactions: LouG

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
A little copa-slip or white grease on the hub surface and back of the wheel will prevent sticking in the future.

Indeed that is what i did and have applied again. :)

The moral of the story over and above the rubbish design is to reguarly take them off and check, no way does anyone want this at the side of the road!

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
If the car is new and / or hubs are clean it's well worth treating with Bolt Hamber Atom-mac - keeps them looking like new

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
Every new car that I have had, including my present SEAT Cupra 290 DSG I have removed the wheels and applied copper grease to both surfaces, something they do not do in the factory. Makes the wheels very easy to remove in the future.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion, ideas and help everyone.

The car is three years old, but only in the last 12-18 months has this happened.

Just so annoyed :rolleyes:

I did apply a smear of copper slip on the nose of the hubs, which always worked on my last two MK5 Golfs, but they didnt have these cut outs on the wheels!

I feel like blocking the holes up!!!

I shall remove the rust when the weather gets better, apply something better and more of it, to the hub nose and mating surfaces! :D

Bilt hammer stuff is awsome!

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
I had to rescue my brother a few months back... he had a flat tyre and couldn't get the wheel off... In the end I had to use a block of wood and a 4ft pry bar through the spokes to get it off.

Its corrosion due to dissimilar metals (iron & an alloy) not due so much to water and is common on all cars generally. My brothers is a Fiesta ST btw.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Years ago I had a Mk5 Ford Cortina (ask your granddad) and the alloy wheels had similarly bonded to the hubs. It was a rear wheel and I swore and bashed at it but it wouldn't budge. So I refitted the wheel nuts, but only loosely, dropped it back to the ground, started it, put it in first, gave it some revs and dropped the clutch. There was a loud CRACK!! and when I jacked it up again the wheel came off easily.

PS Don't do that.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Its corrosion due to dissimilar metals (iron & an alloy) not due so much to water and is common on all cars generally. My brothers is a Fiesta ST btw.

Yep they don't like each other.

My three previous cars had exactly the same set up, except these cut outs on the wheels, just adds to it I think :rolleyes:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.