18" OZ Racing wheels for Leon ST Cupra 280

Jedi_135

Mar 14, 2018
Hello guys, I have bought used Leon ST Cupra 280 DSG in Emocion Red. The spring is coming and I have been thinking about selling OEM 19" wheels and downgrade them to 18" (8x18") OZ Racing Omnia or Italia 150 wheels (I prefer Omnia Grigio Corsa Bright due to "cleaning friendly" design and finish, however Matt Black could look even better).

The question is - as standard OEM 19" have ET50, with OZ I have to choose between ET45 (Omnia) or ET48 (Italia 150). I hope this is not a problem.

Now the question comes to tyres, as I can choose between two models and two sizes. I have very good and positive experience with Michelin PS2 and PS4 models, just a little experience with PSS. Car will be used as a daily driver - for everything.

Here are three types to choose from:

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/40 R18 95Y
2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40 R18 92W
3. Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/40 R18 92Y

Would you keep with wider tyre and slightly higher profile? Comfort is important, this is the main reason why I want to downgrade from 19". However, grip should remain at the highest level.

Thank you for your answers :)

Last edited:

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi Jedi 135.

18” x 8j wheels with an offset of either ET48 or ET45 should be fine for your car, provided the other ‘vital statistics’ are the same as your Leon’s existing wheels;

- bolt pattern; 5 x 112
- wheel centre bore 57.1 (if it’s larger, then spigot rings should be supplied that fit inside the centre bore to reduce it to 57.1)

There are various wheel offset calculators on the internet that will calculate the impact of fitting non-OEM wheels to your car. The one at the link below also calculates the impact of fitting different profile tyres too (if the rolling radius of the overall wheel/tyre size is different to your current set up, it will affect your speedometer reading).

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...ct2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=45

I personally wouldn’t sell your 19” OEM wheels. I’d keep them and fit them back on the car when the time comes to sell it, as many prospective buyers may prefer the OEM look and be put off by aftermarket wheels. Also, if you were to trade your car in part exchange against another Seat, the dealer may offer you a lower trade in price for a car with non OEM wheels than they would if it had the original wheels fitted.

Also if you’re based in the UK, bear in mind that fitting different wheels to your car is classed as a vehicle modification for insurance purposes, so you’ll need to inform your insurer, who may charge you an additional premium. Not informing your insurer could invalidate your insurance.

Of the two wheels you are considering, I prefer the Omnia’s too. A nice, simple elegant designs, and Oz are a good manufacturer of high quality wheels. For me, the design of the Italia 150’s is a little ‘fussy’ and wouldn’t be the easiest wheels to clean. The Italia 150’s also look as if they’re available in a number of different finishes too, including a diamond cut finish. Personally, I’d avoid diamond cut wheels as the finish isn’t as durable as the powder coated Omnias, especially when subjected to winter weather, when they may succumb to ‘whiteworm’ corrosion, which is fairly common on diamond cut alloys. So if you decide on the Italia 150’s, I’d suggest you avoid the diamond cut option (looks as if they’re available in matt black and race grey powder coat finish too).

Last edited:

Steelywhisper

Jul 28, 2016
Ireland
I'v changed to 18" wheels recently and fitted PS4 in 225/40/18 and I'm very impressed with the grip levels considering the time of year they are exceeding my expectations, I had the standard P-Zero tyres fitted to the 19's,
there is also a big difference in comfort over bumps, obviously the general ride quality is the same but over bits of broken road surface is soaks it up much better

I went with the previous gen Seat BBS wheels for a semi oem look

40259144912_f3ecbe798b_z.jpg

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi and welcome.
If you do find you have any issues with insurance at all with the a change of wheels then please fee free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Jedi_135

Mar 14, 2018
Hello guys, thank you for your replies. In the country where the car is registered there is no problem to put a different size of wheels on it, unless it passes the technical inspection.

What do you think about tyre sizes? My preference is 235/40 due to slightly higher profile and theoretically more grip. Would you go for this one or do you prefer 225/40? Thank you :)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’m assuming your existing tyres are 235/35 R19’s.

If you input the details of your existing 19” wheel and tyre set up and your new 18” wheel choice with 235/40 section tyres into the ‘will they fit’ calculator (link to website is in my post earlier in this discussion thread), you’ll see that the overall rolling radius for the 18” wheel and 235/40 tyre is pretty much the same as your existing 19” wheel with 235/35 tyres fitted. This means any speedometer reading error will be negligible. With 225/40 section tyres on 18” wheels, you will get a speedometer reading error of around 1.5%, meaning you’ll get the following Speedometer reading errors;

Speedo reading 50, actual speed; 49
Speedo reading 60, actual speed; 59
Speedo reading 80, actual speed; 79
Speedo reading 100, actual speed; 98
Speedo reading 120, actual speed; 118
Speedo reading 140, actual speed; 138

So to maintain speedo accuracy, the 235/40 section tyres would be better, and as you say, with a slightly higher sidewall, will give marginally better ride comfort over a 225/40 section tyre, although you probably wouldn’t notice the difference in ride comfort between a 235/40 R18 and 225/40 R18. What you are likely to notice in moving from 19” to 18” wheels is a more compliant ride, but this may also be influenced by changing from one brand of tyres to another.

I personally don’t have any experience of Michelin Pilot Sport or Super Sport tyres, but they get very good reviews on various forums by those who have had them fitted, so I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the grip levels of either.

Matt

Apr 27, 2016
Hello guys, I have bought used Leon ST Cupra 280 DSG in Emocion Red. The spring is coming and I have been thinking about selling OEM 19" wheels and downgrade them to 18" (8x18") OZ Racing Omnia or Italia 150 wheels (I prefer Omnia Grigio Corsa Bright due to "cleaning friendly" design and finish, however Matt Black could look even better).

The question is - as standard OEM 19" have ET50, with OZ I have to choose between ET45 (Omnia) or ET48 (Italia 150). I hope this is not a problem.

Now the question comes to tyres, as I can choose between two models and two sizes. I have very good and positive experience with Michelin PS2 and PS4 models, just a little experience with PSS. Car will be used as a daily driver - for everything.

Here are three types to choose from:

Would you keep with wider tyre and slightly higher profile? Comfort is important, this is the main reason why I want to downgrade from 19". However, grip should remain at the highest level.

Thank you for your answers :)

Hi have a look at these, lot cheaper and lighter im getting some 18inch for track days.. https://2forgewheels.com/2forge-zf1/

Jedi_135

Mar 14, 2018
More noise then expected with PS4 tyres

Hi guys,

Finally I went for OZ Racing Omnia 8x18" ET45 wheels (in Grigio Corsa Bright colour). I put new Michelin PS4 tyres on it, 225/40 R18 92Y.

As I know this tyre very well (I have it on my BMW 130i in 205/50 R17 front and 225/45 R17 rear), my expectations were high. However, I am very surprised by the tyre noise from 80 km/h.

I switched from 225/45 R17 Nokian WR D3 winter tyres, but the difference of the noise is pretty high. Do you know where the problem could be?

PS4 can be very quiet tyre, as I can see on my BMW. Do you think that lower profile (40 instead of 45/50 can make such a big difference)? Or can it be caused by wider rim (8") and little bit more stretched tyre?

I am running 2,6 bar front / 2,5 bar rear and in my feeling this pressure is slightly high.

Appreciate any advices :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jedi_135

Mar 14, 2018
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 noise

So finally I went for OZ Racing Omnia 8x18" ET45 (in Grigio Corsa Bright colour) plus Michelin Pilot Sport 4 225/40 R18 92Y. The car looks pretty nice :)

I know this tyres from my BMW 130i very well (205/50 R17 front & 225/45 R17 rear) and I have been very satisfied with them, except of excellent grip they are comfortable enough and are also very quiet for the performance oriented tyre.

But what surprised me negatively was the tyre noise from approx. 80 km/h on Cupra. Do you think that this is caused by lower profile (40 vs. 45/50) or maybe little bit more stretched tyre (8" rim)? Regarding the tables 8" rim is absolutely OK for 225 mm wide tyre. I am currently running 2,6 bar front and 2,5 bar rear.

Any advices? :confused:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.