1.4ACT using oil

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
The low oil warning light flashed up on the dash again today and took about 1lt to bring it back to the top level and if I remember correctly about 1500 odd miles ago it took about 1/2 lt. The car doesn’t do a big mileage, about 12000 over two years.
Is this an excessive amount of oil to go through for this engine and should I mention it to the dealer when it goes for its service on Tuesday?

Conal

Sep 10, 2014
Being an official saddo I can tell you exactly how much oil my 64 plate 1.4 ACT ST has used!
7518 miles, 250ml
11235 miles, 200ml
14055 miles, 100ml
17135 miles, 200ml
Complete oil change at service 17965 miles
30435 miles, 200ml
Complete oil change at service 37320 miles

You can see that the engine is using less oil the more miles it has on it. Only one top up needed in the last 20K miles
Conal

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
Being an official saddo I can tell you exactly how much oil my 64 plate 1.4 ACT ST has used!
7518 miles, 250ml
11235 miles, 200ml
14055 miles, 100ml
17135 miles, 200ml
Complete oil change at service 17965 miles
30435 miles, 200ml
Complete oil change at service 37320 miles

You can see that the engine is using less oil the more miles it has on it. Only one top up needed in the last 20K miles
Conal

Thanks Conal, mine certainly seems to be using more than yours but I’m reassured now I see your figures. I do carry a bottle of oil in the boot for emergencies, I’ll need to check it more regularly and not let it run so low. I have got out of the habit of checking as my last car had the vw 170hp tdi and it never used a drop between services.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Don't forget that small amounts of oil are always consumed in engines, it's just that various contaminants replace it between changes.

Last edited:

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Get some miles on it and once warmed up, give it some stick. You're engine is barely run in and that sort of mileage in that time frame isn't really helping. I ran my Golf R in carefully after buying it and once warmed up, it gets driven the way it's intended - 23,000 miles and it hasn't used a drop. Checked it this morning at 3,000 miles past its last service and the oil level hasn't moved. Incidentally - have you checked it in the correct way? The 2 litre TSi has to be warm and then checked half an hour after switching off and on level ground. Does the 1.4 need to be checked in the same way? Check your manual mate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Any oil with the VW 504 00 long life spec will do it. You can also use the older style 502 00 spec oil, but this is for fixed service intervals.

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
Any idea to find out what oil would currently be in the car as in the last service record doesn’t state?

I put my reg into eurocarparts and it gives 5W-30, 5W-40 and 0W-30 but I’m not sure what it currently has in it and would not want to mix oils of different viscosity.

I wonder if I call the dealer which last serviced it and quote the invoice number they’d be able to tell me what oil they put in.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Is it on fixed or variable service interval? If variable then it’s probably 5W-30. If fixed it could be 5W-40. That said, you can top up with anything that is approved, mixing products should not be an issue.

IbizaNI

Mar 23, 2015
Newtownards, Northern Ireland
Is it on fixed or variable service interval? If variable then it’s probably 5W-30. If fixed it could be 5W-40. That said, you can top up with anything that is approved, mixing products should not be an issue.

That’s the problem, I don’t even know. I’m the second owner and in the service boo where it states when the vehicle has its pre-delivery inspection, the dealer should put an X in the relevant box to say whether it’s fixed or variable, however, the boxes are blank.

I take it if I call up the Seat dealer, they may potentially be able to find out for me?

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Looks like it is on fixed service, which is right for your sort of mileage. In that case the 502 oil is usually used, but the 504 can also be used (a bit of an overkill). As I said, I wouldn’t worry about mixing oils so long as it is a VW-approved one. Any oil is better than no oil!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
There is some rubbish written in forums. The break in period is 1600 km's, at nearly 12,000 miles it is thoroughly run in.
Notify your dealer, document the oil consumption.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
There is some rubbish written in forums. The break in period is 1600 km's, at nearly 12,000 miles it is thoroughly run in.
Notify your dealer, document the oil consumption.
12000 miles over two years isn't properly run in - but you are right - there is some rubbish written in forums.........

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
12000 miles over two years isn't properly run in - but you are right - there is some rubbish written in forums.........

So what is broken in? You seem to know better than VAG. Please quote your technical qualifications.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
As stated above, at 12k miles it's run in. IME VAG engines can have higher oil consumption for anything up to 4k miles and then settle down.

The VAG acceptable oil consumption on the 1.4TSi is high, 1 litre every 600 miles! If they do the oil consumption test and it exceeds that level then it's new piston rings and an engine change if that fails to rectify the issue.

I tend to use fully synthetic oils to 504 spec irrespective of whether it's a fixed or variable service interval, the cost difference is minimal.

I also did an oil change at around 3k miles from new, costs less than £30 for oil and filter if you do it yourself. It's my car, rather than a lease, and variable intervals are really aimed at minimising fleet running costs rather than mechanical sympathy IMO.

Reactions: LouG
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members