RECALL: Brake Servo Hose

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
cupra_matt said:
...The servo pipe will not be replaced on any of your cars, only repaired if it is cracked, if its not cracked then it is unlikely to crack in the future. I know this because iam a seat technician.

I'm confused. What makes you say "The servo pipe will not be replaced on any of your cars" - it was replaced on mine, after it split 40 miles after the 40k service, when Seat Technicians also failed to notice the crack forming. Despite having just bought the car. From a dealer. I suggested it was a recalled part, they agreed, part was changed.

In my case, the pipe cracked, while I was driving it backwards, up a hill, at about 30 mph. It took me over 4 times the distance usually required to stop, despite it being a serious hill. (I then had to call the AA to provide me with new pants, big style, as despite having ONLY JUST stopped driving my unassisted Astra 40 miles before, i was nothing LIKE ready for the weight you gotta put on the pedal to stop where you had planned to.)

If I was reading this as an 'unaffected' owner, or an owner who's letter has been lost in the post (if they ever get sent) (or gone to a former owner or garage who don't care, in the case of recent sales) I'd be keeping a serious eye on it, and considering having a new one fitted regardless, even if I had to pay.

My car is a Y reg Cupra. In a parallel universe, it may have been squashed into a tree at 120mph when the pipe failed when I was going forwards. Clearly on a test track.

flashbsd

mine replaced today FOC, absolutly no repair, a whole new pipe, although looks to bge of the same material. will see how long this one lasts. reciept here says RECALL 47S3

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
From SEAT UK:

I can confirm that a recall has been issued in relation to the vacuum pipe on the brake servo. The owners of the vehicles affected will be receiving a letter during the following weeks, advising them of the situation and what steps are needed to have this rectified.

The information about the chassis break points for the vehicles affected has been passed to the network of SEAT approved dealers, so that they may be able to assist you further, if necessary.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
cupra_matt said:
Just to clarify things. The servo pipe will not be replaced on any of your cars, only repaired if it is cracked, if its not cracked then it is unlikely to crack in the future. I know this because iam a seat technician. Checked mine today and its fine.

Hmmm,

Yes typical 'cheap' SEAT way of dealing with things. Want to borrow some selotape? That's normally the class of repair you recieve :(

Dor.

spinrs2k

Jul 7, 2004
just gave seat a ring and like was confirmed there is a recall and mine is booked in to get it replaced next tuesday, mine is not split or anything they are just replacing it :D

also getting the coolent expansion tank replaced because my sensor has gone and beeps every morning

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Dormouse said:
Hmmm,

Yes typical 'cheap' SEAT way of dealing with things. Want to borrow some selotape? That's normally the class of repair you recieve :(

Dor.

Yeah - repair sounds a very "skinflint" way of approaching this. Is it leak-tested to confirm a seal? Had the longevity of this been assessed? :thumbd:

Mine was obviously replaced with a new pipe.

It's now 4 months since I was dealing with VOSA and they confirmed a recall would take place.

Rush on here feeling quite bleddy pleased with myself thankyou that I've performed a top civil duty :rolleyes: and end up looking like a dummy as nothing happens....

I find it hugely dissapointing that the motor industry can consider this pace of response acceptible. Even more so that the Insurance companies would allow this ~ particularly in today's litigation-bonkers environment.

This failure leaves you with SERIOUSLY compromised braking ability FFS! :no:

T7ODD

My local dealer just told me that there's a recall but when I asked for the chassis details affected they said that I would get a letter from SEAT UK if my vehicle is affected. I bought my car privately and haven't had any dealings with dealers yet so asked whether SEAT got the info from DVLA and they said yes.

BMcN

Mr. Car Carer
T7ODD said:
My local dealer just told me that there's a recall but when I asked for the chassis details affected they said that I would get a letter from SEAT UK if my vehicle is affected. I bought my car privately and haven't had any dealings with dealers yet so asked whether SEAT got the info from DVLA and they said yes.

So just tell them you have a letter and insist they do it.

My mate is a mechanic at the local SEAT garage, when mine went in for a Coil Pack replacement he told me that I had a crack in that servo pipe.
I didnt notice any difference at all in the braking, but then mine was split from the connection and was heading 'downward' so eventually i'd guess it would have made a difference lol, 3 weeks later I had it replaced FOC (the day the SEAT guy came up to me and said the recall was just starting!) as I'd complained direct to SEAT UK who agreed to replace it for free.

flashbsd

mine was cracked, but hadnt gone completely. its a very thick pipe. and so would probably be ok cracked, but not the sort of thing to leave! :) quote the recall number if they query it as i said above :)

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
I have a copy of the recall sheet in my toolbox at work. I will try and scan it in on my PC and post for you guys to see, includes chassis breaks and repair procedures.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
What about the other diesel recall mantioned in Auto Express last week....

batch of bad bolts holding the diesel pump on...leading to fuel leakage..under very high pressure by the way..

When will the recall be on that...

My car was made last July and comes within the time period for both these recalls but I have heard jack about either despite it being a dealer supplied car from new....

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Right it turns out i was wrong about the ibiza recall. The pipe must be replaced on all ibiza's, but only repaired on A3's, Golf's etc. Sorry.

As for the fuel leak, the tandem pump bolted to the head is what is affected. Check your car to see if it is a Bosch pump, if so you should be ok. Recall is on other makes of pumps only, but will still require checking. Hope this helps.

The pump is located on the end of the head and is driven directly of the camshaft.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
cupra_matt said:
Right it turns out i was wrong about the ibiza recall. The pipe must be replaced on all ibiza's, but only repaired on A3's, Golf's etc. Sorry.

But isn't it the same pipe :confused:

It's certainly the same design principle, materials, manufacturing method, and failure mode........ why is the "fix" different?

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
in fact...... sorry Matt but I need to correct you.

Searched back to my previous previous previous :rolleyes: thread and HERE ~ VOSA LINK is the link to the Golf/Bora recall for the same issue. It clearly states inspect and replace

Don't look at the date on it (or the similar Octavia and Audi A3 recalls) ~ you'll just get upset.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
I can see this is going to be an on going debate, but the a3 and golf's are to have there pipes repaired, as iam a VW /Audi and Seat tech i have all the info to hand and i have done dozens of recalls on them. Its only today when i read the ibiza recall sheet when doing my own car i realised they had to be replaced only.

This is not the case on previous recalls on brake servo pipes on audi's and VW's.