Comfort to normal tyre pressures

JamesA

Sep 28, 2015
Will tyres handle changing to run with standard tyre pressures, if they've been running in the Comfort lower pressures?

I received the car with 5000 miles. Was at komfort pressures, but no idea if the dealer just set it to that?
Have been running for another 2000 or so and recently changed to the standard pressures.

This seems to have caused the tyre pressure warning to come on which I need to rule out as a false alarm.

This made me wonder about the comfort setting.
I don't care too much about different fuel usage, but with the bumpy local roads I'd be interested in which option is best for the long life of the tyre?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Will tyres handle changing to run with standard tyre pressures, if they've been running in the Comfort lower pressures?

I received the car with 5000 miles. Was at komfort pressures, but no idea if the dealer just set it to that?
Have been running for another 2000 or so and recently changed to the standard pressures.

This seems to have caused the tyre pressure warning to come on which I need to rule out as a false alarm.

This made me wonder about the comfort setting.
I don't care too much about different fuel usage, but with the bumpy local roads I'd be interested in which option is best for the long life of the tyre?

You have an FR i guess? I would say if you are doing motorway or 40-60 mph roads you can use the higher standard pressure...however me personally I find myself avoiding every pot hole and speed hump as it sends huge vibrations and jarring thud throughout the cabin and my body with these pressures, turned out from the transporter it was almost 40psi on fronts. As I have the 17 tagus rims i usually use the pressures in between but bias towards standard not komfort. Eg...if 38/35 psi standard and 33/30 psi komfort, I usually put 36/33 psi. Also did u press the pressure reset button when u topped up the air?

Btw I have those digital hand held tyre pressure devices so I know exactly how much pressure per tyre

Last edited:

JamesA

Sep 28, 2015
If the bumps feal more jarring at the higher pressure, does this mean they are potentially doing more damage to the car? Or with suspension does it make no difference?

Be nice to know if SEAT want us to run under komfort or not, as the manual does seem to point you to the higher pressures.
Any info people have on where the komfort thing came from would be appreciated.

(After checking the tyres and resetting a 2nd time, the warning has gone away.
I did by a £4.99 digital guage to keep in the car).

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If the bumps feal more jarring at the higher pressure, does this mean they are potentially doing more damage to the car? Or with suspension does it make no difference?

Be nice to know if SEAT want us to run under komfort or not, as the manual does seem to point you to the higher pressures.
Any info people have on where the komfort thing came from would be appreciated.

(After checking the tyres and resetting a 2nd time, the warning has gone away.
I did by a £4.99 digital guage to keep in the car).

Well the pressures with that jarring feeling was probabaly around 40psi (non cold pressures). Pls note i do have FR stiffer suspension and 215/40 profile tyres. I would suspect so that the less rubber and air avaliable to absorb the 'shock' the more it would be transmitted to the suspension and car. If you had say the 185/60 or 195/55 profile tyres it would absorb the bumps and pot holes more.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members