Cannot remove the broken rear wiper to change it

maltencore

Mar 17, 2018
Hey guys, my rear wiper arm broke off in the snow, i bought a new one but no matter how much i try, i cannot remove the old, broken one.
I removed the plastic cap, unscrew the bolt and now there should be nothing holding back the arm, but i still can't remove it.
I tried with wd40, i tried pulling it, i tried rotating it... has someone any advices?

Z0XH0fg.jpg

xhrE0DM.jpg

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Hi, it will be seized on with corrosion, normally it needs huge effort from a small puller to get any of them off. Problem is, with this one there will be a washer jet in the centre of the hollow shaft and you don't want to damage that.

One way round that is to carefully cut down one side of the alloy remains of that old arm, but avoid cutting into the wiper mounting splined hub. When you have cut down the side of that alloy part, you are aiming to weaken it enough for it to crack open a bit and so be eased up off the wiper motor splined hub.

No easy fix to your problem.

Edit:- if you pull that plastic washer jet off - it is only pressed down onto a pipe inside that shaft, you might just be able to buy a small "wiper arm remover" puller and place the retaining nut back on to protect the threads and fit a small disc of metal over it and use that for the forcing screw to press down on - that should avoid damaging that hollow shaft or pipe etc.

Though cutting down through that alloy remains of the arm will be the smart way to avoid doing any damage.

Last edited:

maltencore

Mar 17, 2018
Hi, it will be seized on with corrosion, normally it needs huge effort from a small puller to get any of them off. Problem is, with this one there will be a washer jet in the centre of the hollow shaft and you don't want to damage that.

One way round that is to carefully cut down one side of the alloy remains of that old arm, but avoid cutting into the wiper mounting splined hub. When you have cut down the side of that alloy part, you are aiming to weaken it enough for it to crack open a bit and so be eased up off the wiper motor splined hub.

No easy fix to your problem.

Edit:- if you pull that plastic washer jet off - it is only pressed down onto a pipe inside that shaft, you might just be able to buy a small "wiper arm remover" puller and place the retaining nut back on to protect the threads and fit a small disc of metal over it and use that for the forcing screw to press down on - that should avoid damaging that hollow shaft or pipe etc.

Though cutting down through that alloy remains of the arm will be the smart way to avoid doing any damage.

Hi again, luckily for me i managed to take it off with a tool bought on amazon, i dont know if i can link it but a "cheap" 15€ "wiper remover" worked smoothly.
I can't believe with bare hands it was so hard, and with that tool it took me 15 seconds to do the job!
Thanks, i hope this thread can help someone else too, and sorry for my english!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Good, and your English is okay!

When I have removed any of these front or rear wiper arms, I normally clean up the splined area and apply some silicone grease to stop corrosion causing that problem in the future - just in case I need to remove these arms again.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.