Coolant Drain ...

NickJ7

Mar 19, 2018
I'm looking to replace the coolant on my Leon Mk3 as I think previous owners have mixed grades

I removed the undertray yesterday but couldn't find a drain tap on the radiator, am I not looking hard enough or is there not one there? Could anyone who has previously done this point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Last edited:

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I'm looking to replace the coolant on my Leon Mk3 as I think previous owners have mixed grades

I removed the undertray yesterday but couldn't find a drain tap on the radiator, am I not looking hard enough or is there not one there? Could anyone who has previously done this point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

I think I'm right in saying that the majority, if not all, modern cars don't have a drain tap, it is as suggested a case of removing the bottom hose from the radiator. you will probably need to flush it a few times to make sure all the old coolant is removed or diluted enough (draining will not removed all the old coolant).

NickJ7

Mar 19, 2018
Thanks all

I didn't spend too long looking as the heavens opened, but I will go down the hose removal route

I will flush a few times, I know I won't completely drain it but if 99% of it is brand new G13 then I should be good

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Stick a garden hose into the bottom hose, pack it with cloth so it doesn't leak too much, take the rad cap off and reverse flush for a few minutes. That'll get any remaining coolant out.

SeatFr148

Mar 19, 2018
Morning To all,

I have been trying to find out how much coolant is needed for my 2.0 TDI mk3 . I have seen somewhere it is about 4.3 litres? can someone please help out?

Thanks

ryancboyo

Sep 6, 2018
Scarborough
Stick a garden hose into the bottom hose, pack it with cloth so it doesn't leak too much, take the rad cap off and reverse flush for a few minutes. That'll get any remaining coolant out.

What do you mean by reverse flush please? I’m trying to drain my coolant and there is no drain tap etc.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Reverse flushing is running water from a hose in the opposite direction to normal coolant flow. In your case flush back into the hose, and also into the rad inlet. Run it till clear water comes out.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.