Lightbulbs - recommendation?

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Afternoon

I have done a search (this time!) and can't find a definitive answer. No doubt someone will point me to a thread I've missed but...

Leon FR Tdi 2005
Main beam (dipped or full - suspect one bulb does both) has gone

I'm going to Hellfrauds after work to buy a new one. Worth buying upgraded bulbs, or shall I just stick with bog standard ones?

If upgrading, which ones should I get and is it really worth getting them online, or just from the frauds?

Thanks

JamJay

California Bound
If you are going to Halfords, please save your money and buy standard bulbs. Their "Upgraded" versions are total ****!

From what I have managed to search on this forum, Phillips Vision+ seem to be about the best, giving the whitest light for an upgraded bulb. However, next to a Xenon unit they look positively yellow still.

Some people prefer the Philips Blue Vision which is apparently a Xenon look bulb but in my opinion, having blue headlamps looks a bit stupid on a standard headlamp unit. The only way you can get the blue/white flickering you see on many modern cars is by fitting projector style headlamps & a Xenon kit, standard headlamps do not seem to focus the beam quite as well from what I have seen.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
I guess the answer is to go online then and buy Phillips Vision+ jobbies. I don't want blue bulbs and do not wish to start modifying the car beyond a remap, clutch and stereo so HID's are out of the question.

Thanks.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Philips Xtreme Power or Osram Nightbreakers. Several people on here have the Nightbreakers and rate them highly.

It is most definitely worth getting upgraded bulbs, it's a cheap mod that gives instant results and safer motoring. Consider getting brighter bulbs in the tail lights and indicators too.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Just about to order these... four bulbs for the price of two, and 15% discount and some shitty blue sidelight bulbs I'll never use!

Philips Vision Plus H7 (buy one pack get one free)
Free Philips Bluevision Sidelight W5W bulbs
15% off
£21.21

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
the phillips blue vision bulbs are very good. they seem to illuminate better, so their brighter but somehow a little softer on the eye.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
I just ordered them, £21.21. Seems like a bargain to me for four low beam vision plus bulbs and two bluevision sidelights.

Hopefully the sidelight blue visions aren't a tacky blue or they won't be going on :(

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Leon I/Toledo II uses H1 (main), H7 (dip) and H3 (fog).

I'd really reccomend getting better bulbs for the main beam as well as the dipped. Fogs, on the other hand, I wouldn't upgrade.

Stop/Tail lamps are P21/5 and a Philips Vision + bulb is available
Rear fog lamp is P21, again Vision + is available
Indicators are PY21W and the only alternatives are silver-finish, which emit less light.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
www.powerbulbs.com

Ordered yesterday at 3:30 pm ish, we'll see how long delivery takes.

I can't justify HID's at the moment and if I could, the money would be better spent (in my opinion) on a filter or toward a remap, which sadly this side of Christmas looks unlikely :(

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
I just ordered them, £21.21. Seems like a bargain to me for four low beam vision plus bulbs and two bluevision sidelights.

Hopefully the sidelight blue visions aren't a tacky blue or they won't be going on :(

The side lights look blue while not turned on but once you power them up they are a great colour. Not blue at all and a slightly whiter colour than the really yellow standard ones.

Not chavy at all I promise, try them you'll be impressed.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
The side lights look blue while not turned on but once you power them up they are a great colour. Not blue at all and a slightly whiter colour than the really yellow standard ones.

Not chavy at all I promise, try them you'll be impressed.

That sounds a bit more positive then. They should arrive in the next two days and then I'll fit them this weekend.

Side lights don't bother me a great deal as I don't drive around with just them on, I use them properly in accordance with the highway code ;)

Good to hear they're not a blue light though. Hopefully the vision plus' will be a noticeable step up from the standard bulb which I already have.

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
Side lights don't bother me a great deal as I don't drive around with just them on, I use them properly in accordance with the highway code ;)

What's the highway code say in respect to sidelights? I thought you could use them in lower light conditions and in hours of darkness but only on 30mph street lit roads.
I personally use them quite often during the day if its overcast etc. Never just sidelights at night though, and never with fogs. lol

With regard to the blue vision side lights, I find they match the colour of my nightbreakers very well.

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
They are not a blue light but the blue bulb its self is MOT failure as I found out yesterday, but my local garage it cool and they slipped in some standard bulbs and put the blues in the mota.

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
What's the highway code say in respect to sidelights? I thought you could use them in lower light conditions and in hours of darkness but only on 30mph street lit roads.
I personally use them quite often during the day if its overcast etc. Never just sidelights at night though, and never with fogs. lol

With regard to the blue vision side lights, I find they match the colour of my nightbreakers very well.

With reference to the Highway Code, my point was directed at those who think it is right to drive along the A5 at 70 mph with their fog lights and side lights on, but nothing else ;)

Either way, I'd have thought the bulbs would've passed an MOT, they are E-marked surely?