Removing MK5 Ibiza front door trim

Hank

Sep 20, 2009
The speakers themselves are 6.5" in diameter and about 75mm deep.
The problem is that they screw onto the plastic door trim and have 6 holes, I measured them up to some alpine 6.5" speakers with 4 screw holes and they were completely different so I am going to have to have a look around for some adapters or something.

ibiza-nut

Sep 21, 2011
Worcestershire
Hey techie

I was wondering if you had the same kind of pictures for me to follow to remove my rear panel so i can change my rear speakers!?!

Cheers

jj mann

its took me two day to change my speakers a tweeter to focal i can honestly say it was very worth doing it. the door cards are easy to get off but a pain to get back on but it is worth the hassle :).

tdrcrew

Hey,

I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if any of you have had problems after removing the doorpanels. I have had this done by my installer and since then there is water seeping through the doorpanel at the bottom, you can also see water on the rubbers where the door meets the car (bottom). Just curious if this is a known problem, can't seem to find any information about it. I had my installer try all sorts of things (pieces of sealant from a roll, not sure how this is called, at the bottom part of the door panel) but there is still water. Not that much though. It is a really annoying construction for sure.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
its took me two day to change my speakers a tweeter to focal i can honestly say it was very worth doing it. the door cards are easy to get off but a pain to get back on but it is worth the hassle :).

What model of focal speaker did you use ? - were they a direct fit or was ther some messing around to get them screwed in.

tdrcrew

They are Polk DB6501. I think they put a wooden ring around them to make them fit. I had my installer do this because I am not really handy with these sort of things. Water got out of the speaker openings so they glued a plasic bag above it. Not sure if that works though, we haven't had rain for a while. The main problem is water coming through the doorpanel en de door at the bottom. It seems it doesn't seal well after you remove the panel. I also opened another thread with pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

gizmo123

Hello everyone.
I need to replace the window’s electric switches on my seat ibiza 2009, (driver side)
Will I need to remove all the door cover, or are the switches accessible just by removing the door handle as shown on step 2?
Many thanks for your help

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
quick question, if anyone can help me, where does the speaker signal split into mid/bass and highs for the tweeter in the pillar?

Reason being, I want to install some components that come with their own crossover, and I want to know where to put it/where to take the signal from?

Thanks in advance

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
I'm confused,

So are you saying the speaker cables go from back of headunit, into the door card, behind the mid speaker, and then split there, one cable going off to the tweeter, and the other straight into the mid speaker?

Or are you saying, from the back of the headunit, it splits straight away and one feed to the mid and one to the tweeter?

Basically where does the split happen.

Sorry, your explanation wasn't very clear.

cheers bosssssssssssss :)

craigd

Jul 27, 2007
North Wales / Kent
It splits straight away at the back of the head unit. If you look at the plug there are two wires into each of the front speaker connections and only a single for the rears.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
It splits straight away at the back of the head unit. If you look at the plug there are two wires into each of the front speaker connections and only a single for the rears.

Ah I see, that makes sense. I've got a Pioneer 3300-BT headunit, but was a while since I fitted it... forgot the cable config at the back.

So if there are separate cables coming out the back, the head unit isn't managing the split... how does the speakers know which is the highs and which is the mid's? Is there some kind of capacitors along the cable somewhere or something?

What would you recommend doing if I'm fitting in crossovers, put them behind the dash somewhere?

craigd

Jul 27, 2007
North Wales / Kent
The wiring runs straight to the speakers, there is a filter on the back of the tweeter. I cut the wires at the back of the head unit and fitted the crossovers above the glove box and then just fitted the component speakers using the factory wiring.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
The wiring runs straight to the speakers, there is a filter on the back of the tweeter. I cut the wires at the back of the head unit and fitted the crossovers above the glove box and then just fitted the component speakers using the factory wiring.

Ok nice,

Before I ask more questions, just want to say thanks for you help so far, massively appreciate it. I've gathered some guides together on here, especially Techie's door card removal guide - massive thanks to him for sorting that and with pictures.

So, did you need to take the glove box out to do your install? are the wires easily accessible by doing this?

If you cut the cables at the back of the head unit, did you have to rewire a pin to go into the Quadlock adapter?
I can see what you mean about using the factory wires from the outputs of the crossover... what did you use from head unit to crossover.

Last thing, did you use Techie's guide and if so, did you find any problems with it? Tips? etc..?

Thanks man! If you're ever in Hampshire area I'll take you for a beer!

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
I have taken the door cards off now multiple times.

If you have no experience of working on cars or no common sense, don't even consider doing this, because you will break something!

If you have common sense and years of experience of working on cars, you'll probably still end up breaking at least one clip. If you can get the trim and door card off with everything 100% intact, not cracked, split or broken, then you are a true champ.

What an absolute ****ing ball ache!!

It's definitely a two man job, don't trick your self into thinking you can do it by your self and take your time at every point making sure all wires are tucked away lips and hooks are in the right places before pushing into place.

One thing that I will say is, once you've done it a few times, it does get a lot easier, but for first time ventures, good luck!!

I haven't taken any pictures because it was such a pain in the arse and I was getting pissed off.

Any questions anyone has, happy to answer.

RaoulDK

Nov 21, 2014
Dusseldorf, Germany
Any chance of getting some pictures on how to remove the rear door panel on the model with manual window winders? I know how to remove the window winder and I saw that there is a screw right at the bottom of the door card? Any other hidden screws or should I just pull it straight out? Thanks guys:D

mcp1999

Mar 4, 2015
Hello mate .
Do you have to do all that to change the inside door handle aswell???

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but did you change your inside door handles and can you confirm whether or not it was necessary to remove the entire door trim?

A bit of plastic seems to have snapped inside my door handle and I'm not sure I fancy taking the door trim off to try and repair it unless I really have to.

Many thanks!