Mk1 Cupra R Track car.....build thread.....with Photos!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ok. Spoke to Revo and Unit 20 and I dont need the 4Bar FPR. So booked in for Revo stage 2 next Friday.

Just been out in mates R26 Megane F1 which he got mapped to 350bhp today and thats an animal.

I will be happy with 275/280 and 300 ft lbs.

mods and a generic map?
dude!

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Revo map isnt generic its ECU specific.

Also had to rebook map for next Monday due to faulty new MAP sensor that I put on.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
But going near 300 torque is madness isn't it? Why wouldn't revo or any other mapper lower the torque to 250 and be safe for the end user. Let face it at 300 on a 100,000 mile car won't last six weeks with my right foot.
There's a guy on yt running maxspeeding rods and a gt30 at 26 psi and there holding up just as the IE rod's....Look the same too lol sorry but had to giggle at that comment as they only cost £189
Buy cheap,buy twice?? Not sure about that one as a lot of cheaper stuff is holding up the same as the big names in the game.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
It's not a touch on a properly tuned car to support the hardware that has been installed though!

What hardware. Everything is standard. Cams, injectors, fuel pump, FPR, Rail. Throttle body. Exhaust manifold. Turbo.

Lets face it. I could buy an ebc and crank the boost but it isnt as safe. The FPR controls the fuel delivery based on psi from the turbo. Boost.increases, duty cycle increases.

Why would anyone go for a custom map on a car which has bacically had a decat and an improved IC and induction kit. A base map would suffice. Thats like saying you need to custom map the car if you change a spark plug.

I agree a custom map is a must when any internals or turbo changed.because you are changing the characteristics of the engine.

I will stand corrected if I am wrong but thats my basic understanding :D

irf

Feb 5, 2014
TBH I'm with the others for a custom map although I'd add that I'd only go to badger5 or rtech regardless of mods. I admit I know the square root of jack but in your case being a track car I'd say it's especially important. With my badger5 tune the boost comes in progressively which helps on corner exit (no diff) and hits harder the higher you go. Obviously your car your choice, I'm interested in how your car develops.

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Not at all honestly. I'm on standard rods myself, 270 bhp on bills rollers (290 on others lol) and I've done castle Combe twice and the ring twice and going again to both again this year. Maybe silly of me but the way the boost comes in it just feels kind to the car. TBH it's also more exciting as the car likes to rev. I personally don't enjoy the big boost and torque at low revs and relative flat top end. I understand why some do but not for me.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Once at stage 2 with differing exhaust systems, intercoolers, intake pipes, filters, etc a more custom tune is beneficial especially if being used hard
Bill mapped mine about 4-5 years ago and has done probably double figures worth of trackdays now and is still going strong, even made 280lbft on bills so would be over 300 on most others

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Once at stage 2 with differing exhaust systems, intercoolers, intake pipes, filters, etc a more custom tune is beneficial especially if being used hard
Bill mapped mine about 4-5 years ago and has done probably double figures worth of trackdays now and is still going strong, even made 280lbft on bills so would be over 300 on most others

Why is a custom tune more beneficial than an ECU specific tune. Will it reduce the potential of bent rods? I am not so sure as its not how quickly the torque comes in that damages things, its the total output.

Having 280 ft lbs of torque gradually building on the rods will cause just as much stress at 280 ft lbs in quick succsession.

If a balloon can only take 20psi to make it pop. It doesnt matter if the balloon is filled in 20 secs or in 20 minutes, it will still pop at 20psi.

Just trying to understand :)

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
ECU specific will just be a base of more boost, timing, etc with a custom map these are more tailored to the mods you have and the way its performs
overall Torque isn't a killer but the more spiky maps or incorrectly tuned can cause more knock or big cylinder pressures from my understanding

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
ECU specific will just be a base of more boost, timing, etc with a custom map these are more tailored to the mods you have and the way its performs
overall Torque isn't a killer but the more spiky maps or incorrectly tuned can cause more knock or big cylinder pressures from my understanding

It will be interesting to see the graph after its been done. Hopefully be getting done on Monday.

Will see how it goes.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Got car back from Unit 20 and what can I say. 4th gear is a monster.

Usual 1st 2nd spin in the dry with Bridgestone SO3 on. Going to get some Yoko AD08r's and some DS2500 pads ready for Track day on 4th April.

:D

irf

Feb 5, 2014
Ds2500s are a good pad don't get me wrong, they're on my car right now but if you're doing a track day I'd recommend getting something a bit better.

When I went to the ring (which isn't that hard on brakes) I had a little shake and grumble from the brakes.

I've gone with carbotechs and no issues now.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Wow not posted for a while.

Update:

Was meant to go on first trackday tomorrow at Oulton but I have hospital appointment so had to cancel. Next on mid May i think.

Car is running well at stage 2. Been on for a month now but only done about 200 miles if that.

Ordered lowering springs, pads and discs and spacers.

Next weekend hopefully car will have a new stance. Oh tyres are next Month purchase.

Hedgehog Dodger

Aug 28, 2016
Ds2500s are a good pad don't get me wrong, they're on my car right now but if you're doing a track day I'd recommend getting something a bit better.

When I went to the ring (which isn't that hard on brakes) I had a little shake and grumble from the brakes.

I've gone with carbotechs and no issues now.

I think your right. Friend has DS2500 on his track car and he got judder (no fade) under heavy load. He is going for Mintex now.

Unfortunatley pads are bought and on car so will have to see how it goes on May.

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members