Power steering - please help

arran

Jan 3, 2018
I've searched for other threads and there are some with similar issues but the failure seems to happen in different circumstances to those, and since there are so many things that could apparently cause this I don't know which direction I should be looking.

It started around a month ago.. I switched off my engine at a macdonalds drive through and when i started it again there was no power steering, so i switched off and started again. And again: no PS (with the light on the dash coming on only when the engine has started, and not at stage 1 ignition). After I had some trouble with the steering lock and the key turning I tried again and it started up this time with PS. Since then I have had no other problems, apart from today.

Starting this morning whenever I start the car I have no power steering (this time the light comes on the dash during stage 1 ignition as well as the engine starting). The first few times today It just took a couple of minutes to start working, but that couple of minutes has been getting longer as the day has gone on, the last time I let it sit for 15 minutes with nothing happening, switched it off and on multiple times, and cleaned the battery connection. After this (not sure whether it's related) but it only took about two minutes to come on.

So far today I've topped up the hydraulic fluid (which was low), so I'm ruling that out. People seem to say it could be the battery suffering from the cold but this problem occurred after a 70 mile drive which surely should have charged the battery fully. Others say the pump could be burned out but why would that be intermittent and not just a straight up failure? There are also mentions of the wire which connects the battery to the pump coming loose but it still seems pretty secure. I've also checked the fuses on top of the battery.

I'm assuming it must be the pump or the battery but it's a lot of money to dish out on a whim.
In summary, it's a problem that occurs on every startup, even after the battery should be sufficiently charged.

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Have you checked the connection on the pump side, you said you checked battery side, maby oxidation down there check with a volt meter if you get 12v down there with the engine as ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arran

Jan 3, 2018
I've had the car since November but no idea how old the battery is. The lights do seem to dim a little when I've just started the car, moving slowly and turning, probably should have mentioned that but I only just put two and two together

arran

Jan 3, 2018
If it is the battery is there a sure way to know without buying a new one? I've checked voltages and they seem okay at 12.1v off and 14.4 idling

Last edited:

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Those are good voltages so I don’t think battery or alternator is at fault.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I think you need to check the voltage during cranking OR disconnect the battery and get a proper load test done as you may have a dying cell-- before that a good LONG trickle charge would be a good idea Not twice round the block :) is the car diesel? more info would be usefull

arran

Jan 3, 2018
The 70 mile journey yesterday should have been a good enough trickle charger I think. The car is a 1.4 petrol. And excuse my naivity but what's cranking?

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The fact that the power steering starts after a few minutes driving points to the battery.
If it was the pump it would not.
I had two pumps failing, at first it was intermitwnt and then became permanent and if it didnt start when starting the car it would not start while driving, no matter how much time I kept driving.

arran

Jan 3, 2018
The fact that the power steering starts after a few minutes driving points to the battery.
If it was the pump it would not.
I had two pumps failing, at first it was intermitwnt and then became permanent and if it didnt start when starting the car it would not start while driving, no matter how much time I kept driving.

It's since become permeant. :(

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Btwthe second time mine started to have problems after like 4/5 consecutive starts.
First time I dont remember. Probably the same as I had problems starting the car after parking jn the sun.

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
The 70 mile journey yesterday should have been a good enough trickle charger I think. The car is a 1.4 petrol. And excuse my naivity but what's cranking?

no 70 miles is still not enough cranking = action of starter motor turning engine over = huge amperage load and dropping of voltage on the battery

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
A starter can pull 200a I would think on a petrol 1.4. I charged my 1.6 tri overnight took about 10hrs with a 5a charger

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If you had a simple moving coil voltmeter, ie an analogue meter, you could connect it across the battery and watch the reading while the engine was being cranked over by the starter motor, it should not drop below 9 volts if the battery is still serviceable.

Carrying out this check using a digital multimeter is not so good an idea as the meter's display would not be able to react quickly enough to give you a reasonable indication of the cranking voltage.

arran

Jan 3, 2018
I took it to a garage yesterday but just got a call today saying he couldnt connect his code reader to it for whatever reason. I'll try to look at the battery voltage during cranking tonight when I get it back. An update on the fault though is that the PS seems to start around half an hour into a journey now. It's baffling me

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
they cant connect because they need specific VW or VCDS software.

you still didn't told us the age of the car and battery.

the line of action to follow is IMO:

Test the battery, if possible try to swap with the battery of another car, or if it has more than 5/6 years just replace it as it will not last much longer and leave you stranded sooner than later.
- after replacing battery still NOTOK -> Is the steering stiff like when the car is not running or is it stiff but not that stiff?
----- if it is as when the engine is not running then it's the pump or fuse (it has two, one under the steering wheel and another above the battery, but it's not common for them to tail, usually it's the pump)
----- if it is stiff but not as much as when not running it's the pump or the sensor G250(NO-ESP)/G85(ESP).

Last edited:

arran

Jan 3, 2018
The car is 2011 and I don't know how old the battery is. I got the car in November last year. I've just had a halfords battery test and the blokey says there's no issue with the battery. The mechanic said he doesn't think it would be the pump since it does come on sometimes and once on remains on untill the ignition is off. The steering is exactly the same as when the engine is off

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
just for your information this pumps take almost as much energy as the starter to start working.

arran

Jan 3, 2018
Update on the issue :)

I managed to get a code out of it and this is the information I got from the code

01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500): No Communication
Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Power Steering not working
Possible Causes
Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty/loose
Power Steering Control Module (J500) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Power Steering Control Module (J500)
Replace Power Steering Control Module (J500)
Special Notes
When found in VW Polo (9N), Seat Ibiza (6L), Skoda Fabia (6Y) or similar:
If 01309 is stored in multiple Control Modules and the Steering Aid (#44/J500) does not communicate with the Scan tool, check the Steering Aid Control Module Power Supply. Assuming the Fused Power Supplies (typically 2 fuses are used) are OK, in almost all cases the actual Steering Rack (containing the Control Module) is faulty and needs to be replaced. Be aware that there are different Suppliers for these Parts and make sure to order your Replacement accordingly.
If fuse SB7 is blown check to see if another component on that circuit, such as N79 (Heater element for crankcase breather), is faulty.

So following that does anyone know where the control module is and where I can get a new one? I've tried googling the module but can't find anything online.

Cheers!

Last edited: