Yes, Another Newbee Question..

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Im sorry peeps if someone had asnwered the question but i couldnt seen the post when i searched.

So here I am for my first post if you managed to view my welcome post!
So i bought a MK1 Seat Leon Cupra 260BHP! for £900 with some stage 2 bits on the car. I was gonna add some pics put cant seem to add one without putting a web address!

Anyways to cut a long story..

because my car has been upgraded to a stage 2 my engine light is on all the time and and so is there a like a warning light with a trynagle with (!) in the middle and half circle arrow going round it?? boosts just fine and can use full rev range.. The car is quck! kinda doesnt seem anythings wrong!

See I live in Leicester City and its MOT time soon so need to fix for it.. Or I was looking at buying a code reader and clearing the codes before the MOT.. Im not sure if this would work..
I currently think it cold be due to the exhaust as the car is loud. If anyone knows if a friendly MOT garage that may over look this would be a grate help if i cant get this sorted before hand.

Also the traction control button doesnt work! not sure about this or where to begin..

Anyways any information would be grate..

Also for such a highly tuned car is there anything extra i need to other than check engine oil every now n then and coolent or is there other stuff as i have boot gages in my car

Thanks Jay

Last edited:

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey dude!
If i was you id get a cheap code reader i got one from ebay for like £8, id read the codes find out what is going on and then clear the codes see how long it takes for them to come back on. If it doesn't come on for a while then clear the codes before you drop the car off for the MOT.

If the car is running fine the i suspect a sensor somewhere is playing up but the codes should help point you in the right direction.

EDIT: The traction control might be okay but you cant tell if its on or off becasue the light should come ON when you press the button, Showing you that the TC is OFF

So if your light is illuminated at all times you wont be able to tell. But if you clear the codes and try again you might find that it works okay.

Last edited:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
You live in Leicester...mot is an easy ting bro lol.
Jokes aside following above advice is best, code reader is a great thing with these cars or torque app from play store... Needs a Bluetooth obd but are cheap on eBay/Gumtree ect. Do your pocket a favor and don't bang on it too hard till you know what the faults are. When driving hard, give her time to cool down and oil/filter change every 5/6k at most but really the most important thing is....enjoy it! I got a auq 1.8t dirt cheap and I battered the thing daily now for going on 10k+ and zero issues, treat her right and she will do the same. Worst case engine goes pop, replace it, plenty about.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
The traction control light will show permanently on the dash if the MAF sensor is disconnected. Have a look, otherwise you might need a new one (they’re dead easy to fit, but make sure you get a proper Bosch one).

The engine light shouldn’t have anything to do with the stage 2 map, it’s just pointing to some sort of fault. A cheap £12 code reader off eBay will give you a fault code.

Last edited:

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
This is brilliant news do any of you know if I clear the codes how long they will stay off for? Obviously need it long enough for the MOT or is this trial and error.. The guy also said there was a plug that's not pluged in on the engine because it makes the car sluggish with all the work that's been done. So I've just left it alone.. Might see if u can get a cap for the bit.. If anyone can tell me how to upload pics I'd show you what I mean unless you know with out seeing it. But I must say what a grate response for my first post... Thank you all for taking the time to look at this. I was gonna get one of these for my first car but people told me not to get one because they are cheap! Not sure how I feel about that atm coming from a Astra sri sports xpac 1.8 non turbo 123bhp.. Think the Astra dash is more modern than the seat but more complicated when taking things apart I guess.

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
This is brilliant news do any of you know if I clear the codes how long they will stay off for? Obviously need it long enough for the MOT or is this trial and error.. The guy also said there was a plug that's not pluged in on the engine because it makes the car sluggish with all the work that's been done. So I've just left it alone.. Might see if u can get a cap for the bit.. If anyone can tell me how to upload pics I'd show you what I mean unless you know with out seeing it. But I must say what a grate response for my first post... Thank you all for taking the time to look at this. I was gonna get one of these for my first car but people told me not to get one because they are cheap! Not sure how I feel about that atm coming from a Astra sri sports xpac 1.8 non turbo 123bhp.. Think the Astra dash is more modern than the seat but more complicated when taking things apart I guess.

It’s gunna be trial and error mate with the warning light.

I think you need to do 20 posts to be able to upload pictures

This is the 3rd vag car from this era that I have owned and all have been reliable and if anything has gone wrong it’s been relatively easy to fix!

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Well this is quite reassuring to know that there an easy fix but from what I've seen the parts are not so cheap? Getting something done with the indicators atm coz with the stork or hazard they only blink once. Plus when I've picked up street speed can feel the road on the break pedal.. But breaks fine just wondering if it's because it quite low on coilovers. Also have the dreaded rattle from the exhaust as I go pull off but if I add more revs it's stops the virebration on the exhaust and it's really loud in the center and back end of the car but the front end seem quiter.. Still waiting for the garage to take it to have a look. Il be over the moon if I can get it to pass the MOT.. Think I'm gonna buy one of them code readers! Any recommendations on which one?

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Hi
As Andrew said,
Don’t drive it hard until you have found the problems.
If it drives sluggish with all sensors plugged in I would question the map that’s been installed.
Doesn’t sound right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Bang on with them posts boys.. Just asked the guy he said the plug under the bonet is MAF Sencer and said it's a MAFless remap he also said it the engine light will be on coz it's a tuned car n not standard! I'm beginning to think I've bought a pile of ****.. Other than these problems the car drives good. Anyone got any ideas?

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
I'm totally not sure.. But it's loud from the middle of the car to the back end but quiter from the engine end.. But its that kind of loud you can hear it over the radio lol.. I think I'm just gonna have to take it into a trusted garage to have a once over all of the car! Not totally sure what the deal is with it atm. But I got some loud rattle on the exhaust as I pull off hardly using any of the accelerator same for when parking. Wonder if anyone close by would be interested in having a 5minute look..

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I'm totally not sure.. But it's loud from the middle of the car to the back end but quiter from the engine end.. But its that kind of loud you can hear it over the radio lol.. I think I'm just gonna have to take it into a trusted garage to have a once over all of the car! Not totally sure what the deal is with it atm. But I got some loud rattle on the exhaust as I pull off hardly using any of the accelerator same for when parking. Wonder if anyone close by would be interested in having a 5minute look..
R-TECH is in le10
I'm sure they will give it a look for some ££
Maf is about £70+ but is one of the most expensive sensors. Most parts for these cars are £100 so cheap ish to replace most bits for stock. Don't give up mate, they are fun cars but you just need a little guidance and r-tech will be able to sort anything out and are local to you. I'm from Peterborough myself, also Jabba motorsport is in crowland. Keep posting to get your count up and post some pics, I'm sure it's only ten post

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Yeah I just Googled it.. The engine light is likely coz of the MAF and the guy said not to plug it in coz it will bog out on power! But I'd just replace it anyway and hope it's done the tick! But what I can't understand is why is it still running without it? Or how does this give it more power? Can't fault the cars power as it is! I love it.. I think I will fall in love with it eventually but I'm not sure atm as it's all new to me. And you guys are fantastic for answering questions.. I was actually thinking about getting the Astra 2.0 turbo 200 sri mk5 but really wanted to try the cupra.. I also wanted the Bam version but there going for a bit more than I wanted to pay and none of them local.
Might have to message the guy on here see if he'd be interested in taking a look. I've not seen under the car yet to see what exhaust is on it. It's lowered on coils so can't see much at all.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
MAFless map that's new to me.
As Andrew said pop into R-Tech and they will put your car on the rollers. They'll tell you what map has been put on,
If you find out it's a spiky crap map, I'd have it removed and have them map it.
They know these engines really well.

Rattling exhaust on pull away.
I'd guess something simple like the heat shield becoming loose.
Mine did the same on a Cupra with a custom exhaust.
Just needs a spot weld.
10 min job.
As for buying a dog, don't give up yet. Once you sort out this issue you might fall in love with it.
They are great cars when running well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Ok so here is what the garage said!
O/S/F DRIVESHAFT RUBBING ON ANTI ROLL BAR!
OIL LEAK (EVERYWHERE)
N/S DRIVESHAFT BOOT INSECURE / LEAKING
EXHAUST INADEQUATELY SUPPORTED MIDDLE TEAR + BROKEN AT RAER.

What do you guy make of that? Obviously the only thing I'm bothered about in this list is the oil leak.

Said he took it for a drive and said it's nice and loads of power there but says it won't pass the MOT with the exhaust not supported properly. I asked about the engine light and traction control he said it might pass an mot with the engine light but won't pass with traction light.

Also said when you drive it and if you boot it let it cool sit running for 10mins so the seals don't blow on the turbo coz he said that will be one of the first things to go on a modified car.

So need to book in on again next week to have a diagnostics run down and possibly get the leaking and the exhaust sorted

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
You need to warm it up and cool I down.
Don't drive after turning the key. Give it a couple of minutes for oil to circulate.
Or in your case piss all over your engine bay
Sorry couldn't resist.
When arriving at destination, again wait a couple of minutes for it to all cool down slightly before turning off.
Need to do this with all cars tbh. But more so with turbo models.
Drive shaft rubbing.
Are your coilovers adjustable?
If so increase ride height.
If not maybe remove the ARB.
Exhaust doesn't sound too bad.
Sounds like it needs an additional hook welded in place.
Broken rear? Is there a hole? Or heat shield falling off?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Don't give up. These cars will test your bank account & patience, but they will repay you back everyday with a burst of exhilaration, pride & just knowing that your pissing a few people off with your older car, feels great. They are a labour of love, but I'm sure these problems can be resolved. You're not alone, I don't think you stop fretting over these cars, even when they are fine! Good luck

itsmrjt

Mar 6, 2018
Leicester
Oh and also forgot was looking at the engine and it looks like the rocker cover gasket will need changing because there is a slight leak towards the back of the rocker cover and upon cleaning inspection it looks oily and dirty so I thought I would clean it and take away all the dirt and start the engine for about 10-15 minutes and Rev it a little and it slowly leaks out every 15mins a little bit comes out.. Been quoted £90 for that. How comes you guys love these cars so much when they need work all the time? If that's what your sayin? So atm I probably have a bill I'm about 300 400 to fix everything

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
Oh and also forgot was looking at the engine and it looks like the rocker cover gasket will need changing because there is a slight leak towards the back of the rocker cover and upon cleaning inspection it looks oily and dirty so I thought I would clean it and take away all the dirt and start the engine for about 10-15 minutes and Rev it a little and it slowly leaks out every 15mins a little bit comes out.. Been quoted £90 for that. How comes you guys love these cars so much when they need work all the time? If that's what your sayin? So atm I probably have a bill I'm about 300 400 to fix everything

Wait until you get everything fixed then you will understand what we mean!

You paid £900 for the car, another £400 into and your at £1300

£1300 for a 250+ bhp car sounds pretty good to me!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.