Boot won't open on Seat Leon MK2 - 2007

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Bought a new car at the weekend, admittedly it is an older model - 2007 - but only 49000 on the clock and miles and miles of service receipts and MOTs. Been driving lovely for the past 4 days I've had it and really enjoying it but suddenly one frosty morning the boot decided to not open! I've tried it several times since and it still won't open but it is making an awful whirring noise. I've tried accessing it from the inside with the seats down but I'm a bit nervous about ripping trim off etc (meaning I'm too feeble and can't get it off! ;)) Has anyone else had this issue before because one of the reasons I bought this car was because of the amazing boot capacity!

Last edited:

Uselesshippy

Apr 28, 2016
Sounds like the solinoid mechanism in the lock has gone. Easy fix. To open the boot you'll see a slot like letterbox in the boot liner. The lock has a manual release like the bonnet latch. Use a steel rule or similar to move the release think to the right. 2 screws in the hand holds, then gently prise the liner away. Unplug the lock from the loom, then undo the lock you'll need a m8 spline bit.

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
Sounds like the solinoid mechanism in the lock has gone. Easy fix. To open the boot you'll see a slot like letterbox in the boot liner. The lock has a manual release like the bonnet latch. Use a steel rule or similar to move the release think to the right. 2 screws in the hand holds, then gently prise the liner away. Unplug the lock from the loom, then undo the lock you'll need a m8 spline bit.

I fixed it - well my cousin who's a mechanic fixed it - he got the plastic trim off and found that all of the mechanism and electrical works were fine and it was the boot catch itself so just ordered a new one of those (same part number but actually for a Golf!) and now it works like a dream! Just need to get rear passenger door fixed as well :)

Reactions: Longlol1p

Ianowe

Nov 21, 2017
My boot is doing exactly the same. Ive taken the plastic trim off but cannot pinpoint which bit is broken. Is it the boot handle with the SEAT “S” logo that needs replacing?

MartFR

New and Unassuming
Jan 5, 2017
It was the tailgate latch that needed replacing, the ‘S’ badge was fine it was the latch itself. Search for tailgate latch and it’s actually the same part for a VW Golf. See my previous post.

Uselesshippy

Apr 28, 2016
The lock catch is also on the polo 6r model. It's a really easy fix just replace the lock catch, two bolts are all that holds it on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.