Honeycomb Grill Fitted (+ fitting guide pics)

zamzia

Gixer 750 K8
Dec 6, 2010
Newmarket
Finally got round to changing the grille. I couldnt get to the little clips so figured a bit of brute force did the trick and it did :)

Think I need some form of mesh behind it now to tidy it up a bit but much prefer this grille to the OEM! :)

Where did you get the de-badged grill form?

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
I really wish it was as easy as you make it look to remove the grill!
I've been trying today to get it off, and it just wont budge! Undone the two plugs at the top, the whole grill will then slide up about a centimeter, then tried to prise the clips open and they won't move, tempted to give up and just keep the surround chrome :(

PompeyPete

Like a Golf, But more fun
Sep 20, 2010
Southampton
picasaweb.google.com
Leon Grill

I've been trying today to get it off, and it just wont budge! Undone the two plugs at the top, the whole grill will then slide up about a centimeter, then tried to prise the clips open and they won't move, tempted to give up and just keep the surround chrome :(

Baggy, Trust me when i say that i was nervous when removing it as i did not want to explain to the wife that i had ..err.....broke it!! But as long as you have removed the 2 lugs at the top (£.41 Pence each...!) then grab the grill evenly through the front bars at the sides and gently but firmly pull! You should not do any damage if you follow this correctly.:clap:

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
I've spoke to the bloke at the paintshop who is going to spray it for me and he's going to take it off for me, save me the hassle, plus if it breaks he can pay for it heh

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian

That's as far as I've got today. Tried using what little strength I have to pull it up and out, but nothing happening.

sandeman

That's as far as I've got today. Tried using what little strength I have to pull it up and out, but nothing happening.

Same here. Pulling, screwdrivers nothing seems to do the trick. More suggestions ?

sandeman

I eventually got it. Brute force is the answer. Pulled it a lot and it weakened the plastic a bit so it finally freed itself.

eventually it worked, seems that i was pulling on the wrong clips :whistle:. Thought i need to pull the ones that you can see on the outside.

Now removed and creating one with the honeycomb-look :funk:

TheSultanofPing

May 9, 2007
Just fitted mine, it was harder than I thought though!

picture.php

Last edited:

sandeman

Mine is ready and i am very happy with it:yes::yes::

To bad i cant show you an pic :
i first have to post 15 bullshit posts i guess [B)]:whistle:

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.

leon26uk

Where can i purchase this honeycombe grill? :) cannot find this on ebay:(

Grezza

It does seem odd to me though, Fashion?? On mk1`s everyone was trying to mod the grills to get the chrome trim look like a cupra R, saying that black looked dull:confused:
Now its turned tables and Black is in:whistle:

I think the problem lies with the "chrome" surround being so thick now, a thin line of chrome isn't quite so offensive.

On that note, I drive an '07 Cupra so have a chrome surround with a slatted grille. Anyone know if it's possible to get a honeycomb grille to fit and lose the chrome entirely rather than having the chrome surround then the black surround then the honeycomb grille in the middle?

Cheers

seatterra

if you want a honeycombe grille try this 1pl853651bn4 linear r grille. it will fit that bumper and i have them with black instead of chrome trim

So I thought I'd do a little write up on how to remove the grill & fit it.

The grill is quite easy to get off, if you know how (I've had the grill off a few times now)

P1010438.jpg

Its held in at the top by two expanding plugs, easiest way of getting them out is to use two screwdrivers & lever the top part of them out

P1010439.jpg

Exhibit A - The retaining plug thingy

P1010442.jpg

The grill also sits under the slam panel in its own little groove

P1010443.jpg

P1010456.jpg

The grill is also held in place on each side by two clippy things, best way of releasing these is with a long flat screw driver, try & ease them out gentle, maybe a squirt of WD-40 to help. (cant believe how dirty its got in a day)

P1010445.jpg

The honeycomb section is held on to the main grill by two very small self tappers

P1010450.jpg

P1010453.jpg

The finished article

P1010460.jpg

grilled.jpg

.[/QUOTE]

seatterra

if you go ebay you will see the linear r honeycombe grille. thats what we have with black trim instead of chrome.it looks the business

Grezza

if you go ebay you will see the linear r honeycomb grille. thats what we have with black trim instead of chrome.it looks the business

Cheers. I can only find the "LEON LINEAR GRILLE" for about £100 which looks like it has two black surrounds then the honeycomb grille. Is there a different one?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-LEON-LINEAR-GRILLE-/270763588206?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0ac47a6e

I can't post links yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
That is the Linea R grille. You can get it for a fair bit less from David @ Sere on this forum. You can remove the chrome/silver surround and replace with black.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.