Change in design of TFSi engine. Important issue with fuel pump and engine wear

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Just read most of this and think ill give mine a check soon as my FRs on 64,000 and i dont know if its been done before or not :/

well im checking i may aswell change the cam follower anyway, what is the part number i need and how much is it?

if i replace it with a newer one are they stronger and this means it wont need to be checked again?

Thanks, Mark

AdamRoutley

Use The Force!!
Feb 22, 2007
Walsall
www.myspace.com
Just read most of this and think ill give mine a check soon as my FRs on 64,000 and i dont know if its been done before or not :/

well im checking i may aswell change the cam follower anyway, what is the part number i need and how much is it?

if i replace it with a newer one are they stronger and this means it wont need to be checked again?

Thanks, Mark

I'm in exactly the same position buddy, but at 63k :p lemme know where you get it done and cost as you're not a million miles away from me!

Last edited:

mark-cupra

FR TFSI
Sep 11, 2010
Stoke-On-Trent
Ok mate will do :) if i can get the right part then ill get my mate to take a look at it when my lowering springs are put on and replace it while im at it lol, i just wanted know if it fixes the problem for the future really, hopefully mine and yours are ok seen as theyre on high mileage but suppose they could of been replaced already a while back maybe

Kaza

Female Petrolhead :)
Jul 5, 2010
Kent
reading through this, one of the tell tale signs is hesitation to accelerate

That's exactly how I found out my cam follower was shot to **** and I now need a new camshaft :).

The car would accelerate, then all of a sudden it would stop then would lose speed....then all of a sudden it would pick up and throw me back again. That's when I thought 'oh ****' - got it checked, cam follower had a lovely big whole in it and had allowed the fuel pump rod to score into the camshaft..

Last edited:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
A couple of people have asked if this ever got resolved but nobody seemed to answer, I was just wondering if anybody now knows if this is still an issue that needs to be closely monitored, I'm curious as I'm looking at a 2010 LCR and just want to know if this is something I should be checking or if it is now a thing of the past?

Cheers guys :)

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Not a massive issue, just get it done at the annual service time, the part is only £20. Every time mine has been replaced theres been very little to know signs of wear. Its mainly on the very early Fr and GTI's with the cam A, all the newer cars were fitted with cam B's.

Its not an issue at all in my eyes, unless it goes unchecked for 80k miles.

May 31, 2011
Essex
picked up a 2008 57 plate leon fr tfsi its on 86k miles full seat service history should i just replace the part to be safe as not sure if done or not?

whats the difference between cam A and B??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.