How to tell if your K1 is Real

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Because there's nothing on the car that can confirm if its Real or Not and the Log Book etc are useless, ive spoke to one of my contacts at SEAT UK about this Real/Not Real K1 Debate and here's the solution, 2 Ways to tell if your K1 is real or if its not. By Real we mean The car was Built by SEAT UK as K1 Spec and Hasnt been built by the Dealer into K1 Spec or even by an Owner into K1 Spec

1. Use the form Below, Contact SEAT UK, Provide them the cars ORIGINAL registration plate number, If you have since fitted a private plate you will need to locate the original plate number. They will be able to tell you either yes its one of ours or no its a dealer/owner built K1
http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/com/SEAT/site/contact/main,lang=en.html

2. Contact SEAT UK on Twitter @seat_cars_uk Tweet them your ORIGINAL REG in a message, Something along the lines of " @seat_cars_uk AB01ABC is this a SEAT UK bult K1?"

This is for anybody who is bothered about if there's is an Original K1,Ive asked Admin to make this a sticky

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
London
great stuff will give it a shot you never know the hidden truth although mine has been confirmed a k1 by the dealers that sold it , thanks

Matt K1

Interesting I've been trying to find something like this for ages going to look at a K1 Saturday but not 100% it is a real one. As it does not have the centre exhaust exit and pretty sure you can't get a K1 in grey? Thanks for this info: defiantly sticky material ;)

Its easy to see which is a genuine SEAT UK Cupra K1 that had its bumpers, skirts, exhaust and badge fitted at the UK port of entry........................................ the bumpers, skirts and exhausts aren't fitted or painted as well as the ones done by good bodyshops as aftermarket fit!!!!!!!!!

Without exception, we had to correct the fit and respray at least part of every K1 bodykit, and re-align the exhaust, on every new K1 we supplied.

Reactions: mathyou78

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Interesting I've been trying to find something like this for ages going to look at a K1 Saturday but not 100% it is a real one. As it does not have the centre exhaust exit and pretty sure you can't get a K1 in grey? Thanks for this info: defiantly sticky material ;)

The K1 was available in Candy White, Inferi Black, Emocion Red, Luna Grey. Speed Blue and Kiwi Green were Custom Palette colours. Pretty sure Furia Grey was also available. Not sure about Crono Yellow or Lumina Orange so someone else will have to confirm them.

An 'official' K1 should have the central exit exhaust.

Have a search on the forum as K1 threads pop up a lot! :)

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm sure there is an easier way to find out - I'm 99% sure that original K1 would have some sort of special equipment code on the sticker in the boot (and in the service book). There are decoders online so it's worth comparing equipment codes list from genuine K1 and from the one built up by dealer....

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
I'm sure there is an easier way to find out - I'm 99% sure that original K1 would have some sort of special equipment code on the sticker in the boot (and in the service book). There are decoders online so it's worth comparing equipment codes list from genuine K1 and from the one built up by dealer....

Sending a message is just as easy as looking up your code and finding the database website online and finding it on there lol.

Good shout Andy :thumbup:

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Sending a message is just as easy as looking up your code and finding the database website online and finding it on there lol.

The DVLA offices are likely not open at the weekend or evenings. If SEAT were REALLY thoughtful, they'd use a special code on the VIN plate somewhere, that will identify the car as an official factory K1. It would be alot more useful for identification, at that moment, while viewing the car. ;)

But I see the purpose behind this thread, and for sure it'll be a great resource for new potential Leon (K1) owners, plus seasoned owners looking to upgrade too. :thumbup:

Last edited:

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
....plus somehow I can see this DVLA text message database "system" being abused by rogue dealers, looking to add an extra premium onto a "Leon" that they (or another garage) has kitted up, advertise to be a (fake) K1. :think:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Real K1's boot stickers are no different than a Cupra's as the K1 Kit was added by SEAT UK at the docks not by SEAT ES at the factory where then sticker was added

SEAT UK also said K1's have centre exhausts so if yours hasnt got 1 then its not real

StealthInspired

Apr 18, 2011
UK
Real K1's boot stickers are no different than a Cupra's as the K1 Kit was added by SEAT UK at the docks not by SEAT ES at the factory where then sticker was added

Those crafty SEAT dock workers, must have been up all night on April 1st, as a practical joke....

"Hey guys, this big shipment of Cupras we got here, tonight lets secretly swap over the bumpers with the bodykit in that other crate there, then we will also add a distinctive badge, and call it an... A.. B.. C... D... E.... no... K1 ! "

;)

....plus somehow I can see this DVLA text message database "system" being abused by rogue dealers, looking to add an extra premium onto a "Leon" that they (or another garage) has kitted up, advertise to be a (fake) K1. :think:

I invariably give more in part ex for a well fitted "pseudo" K1 than I do for "genuine" SEAT UK fitted one especially if its one that our own bodyshop has fitted the kit to.

Dec 21, 2005
London
sent a message yesterday still no response , im sure mine is a k1 the exhaust is not fitted properly it sticks out way too much

Deleted member 53697

"real" or "fake", it's still just a crappy bodykit...
popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2011
Original k1 just look at your v5 or ask them produce that simples don't need this long winded debate / research 2 min job mine says seat leon cupra k1

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members