Genuine cambelt kit from dave at Sere motors

stu1986

Aug 19, 2010
redditch
Hi

Does anyone know if anyone has taken over dave'a role at sere motors?
As I brought a genuine cambelt kit from him in march this year and had it fitted 5th July (when it was due) after the part was fitted my car started making a knocking noise from cold. On closer inspection from my mechanic it seems the cambelt tensioner has failed and the timing is slightly out causing the knocking. As the part is under warranty for 24months should sere motors cover the cost of the new cambelt kit I've ordered and any labour charges I have to pay?

Any views or thoughts on this would be helpful

Thanks Stu

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Have you seen the tensioner yourself? It's unusual for them to fail.

Not sure who's at Sere now as I've not used them for a couple of years. Give them a call though. They'll probably want the parts sent back to them for inspection and they may send them off to SEAT / VW Group to be looked at. I can't see the warranty covering labour costs though.

What usually happens in these sorts of cases is that the parts supplier will blame the garage for not fitting them correctly and the garage will blame the parts and you'll get nowhere.

I weighed this cost/risk balance when I had the cambelt done on my CR170 and decided that the 5 year SEAT warranty was worth paying the extra for and had it done at a dealer.

Either way, I hope you get a good resolution.

stu1986

Aug 19, 2010
redditch
They cambelt and tensioner is still on the car but is being repaired tomorrow. The tensioner looks like it sticks out of line from the pulleys causing the belt to run off one side of the pulleys. Using a lever bar you can press the tensioner back in line with the pulleys but they it springs back out. I have sent them an email fingers crossed I can get the money back for the part.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.