Wax Type(s) for Blue/Grey Ibiza

Ibiza_XJX

Mar 10, 2017
Hi all

I've got a blue/grey coloured Ibiza (apparently on the documentation it comes blue but to me its a more grey-ish colour) and am wondering what is the better choices of wax, sealants to use on it for a good finish.

Reason im asking as I was always told Carnuba wax was good for silvers, reds to give a more 'wet' look and Ive been out of he car maintenance or enjoying cleaning my car Im out of touch.

Is the simple autoglym stuff from Halfords alright or would a more specific set of products, a friend mentioned Autofinesse or kleenfreaks?

I apologise if theres a thread for "best products" or the like, I couldn't see one.

Link below for pics of my car, hopefully he colour confusion will make more sense
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4712007#post4712007

Last edited:

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
There is no best product.

Wax is now down to if you enjoy using it as sealants now cost less, are easier to use, cost less and last longer however, many now use a sealant for the protection it offers and then apply a wax over the top as they enjoy using a wax.

For me I no longer use a wax and am happy with the results of Sonax's sealant from Eurocar Parts..

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I don't think you can go wrong with Autoglym. Its pretty much all I use.

IMG_20170316_072304061_zpskdghmxcq.jpg

I usually go for Super Resin Polish followed by HD Wax every 3-4 months. Then top up with Aqua Wax at every wash. There's pictures of my black FR and blue Cupra in my readers rides. FR with both HD Wax and Aqua Wax pics. Cupra hasn't seen the HD Wax yet.

However... I got a bit bored of 4 hours waxing n polishing. So have ordered Poorboys Black Hole Glaze (if I need polish I'll use SRP - but the Cupras just been machine polished professionally). Then some Poorboys Natty Blue. I don't expect the wax to last as long as the HD Wax, but I wash my car every week anyway. But will post comparison pics when its done.

In reality, I can't see any difference between the HD Wax and the Aqua Wax. One takes half hour to apply, the other 2 hours. The HD Wax lasts about 3-4 months, the Aquawax probably 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

lewischadwick7

Jul 4, 2016
Barnsley
at the minute i cant recommend O.C.D waxes nebula enough, have a look around on detailing world too or even join up (it's free) and there's a wealth of knowledge available! i've used hundreds of differet product and dare say there is no 'best' for everything, everyone has different taste

Ibiza_XJX

Mar 10, 2017
Well im not going to be as good at cleaning/detail as Finer Details is (I've seen his work in the past on other forums I was part of) But as a generic keeping it clean, polished/waxed, maybe stop my wheels getting wrecked as they are pretty nice and the nice reflection would be fine.

Im not showing the car, or at least at this stage I aint, but want to really look after this one like I used to with older cars I've had :) Getting quite an itch to do it!

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Well im not going to be as good at cleaning/detail as Finer Details is (I've seen his work in the past on other forums I was part of) But as a generic keeping it clean, polished/waxed, maybe stop my wheels getting wrecked as they are pretty nice and the nice reflection would be fine.

Im not showing the car, or at least at this stage I aint, but want to really look after this one like I used to with older cars I've had :) Getting quite an itch to do it!

If you want to keep your car in tip top shape......

Definite No No's:

Taking it to any hand car wash place or Taking it through any mechanical car wash

What you need to do is as follows:

Hand wash the car, utilising the 2 bucket method, with a microfiber wash mitt

2 bucket method is where you have 1 bucket of your soapy wash and 1 bucket of clean water, you dunk your wash mitt into the soap, wash one panel of the car and then rinse your wash mitt in the clean water to remove any grime, before dunking the wash mitt back into the soap to wash the next panel.

Dry the car off using a microfiber drying towel, do not use one of those blades

watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBo76v2je44

Polish or wax - you use both.

polish 1st, then seal in the polish by applying a wax or sealant

Ideally, you should clay the car to prep the paintwork before applying the polish and wax/sealant

for claying - watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD9Qc84vSyY

So ideally:

Rinse car off to remove any loose dirt

Could then use a snowfoam stage

wash (2 buckets)

rinse car off

Clay the paintwork to prep - this is ideal as itll remove anything invisible stuck to the paint & leqve the paint as smooth as glass.
Heres an example of a claybar picking up invisible dirt after preping just 1 panel:

Polish

wax/Sealant

There is no 'best product' for a particular colour. But as above, I tend to use a lot of Autoglym products including Autoglym Super Resin Polish & Autoglym HD wax

A polish with fillers, such as Super Resin Polish will help mask any light swirl marks or blemishes, then the wax will seal in the polish. I also like poorboys products.
Once youve done a "full" session as above, youll only need to give it a weekly of fortnightly wash & then top up the wax later every 4 to 6 weeks or so.

Heres some pics of my after completing the avove. Im no professional detailer by any means, but I do like to keep my cars clean.....

I no longer have the Leon, but heres a weekly service wash example on my latest car:

Just a standard 2BM wash, dry.....

Autoglym shampoo. Devils blood wheel cleaner, meguires tyre dressing... few before, during & afters.

Before...

Devils blood at work.....

During....

Afters......

Benefits of using the 2 bucket method

Last edited:

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
P.S

With what I was saying above regarding a polish with fillers that can mask swirls and imperfections.....heres a pic of the rear door of my dads Black Cab that I did a full detail on.

First pic.....full of swirls

After a going over using Farecla G3, Autoglym SRP & HD wax:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.