Ibiza 2010 Boot won't open!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes that sounds like the worst situation, ie you get new parts then before you fit them, the original fault vanishes! I absolutely hate that sort of thing, but you are entitled to think that old latch had become intermittent and that that next one will work all the time?

Edit:- so you did buy a used latch assembly for just £20? All main dealerships will demand payment before ordering in parts that they don't normally hold for stock, well at least for a part that costs more than maybe £10(a guess), once you have built up a good relationship with your local dealer's parts department, they will tend to believe that you will appear in person and collect the ordered parts.

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Yes that sounds like the worst situation, ie you get new parts then before you fit them, the original fault vanishes! I absolutely hate that sort of thing, but you are entitled to think that old latch had become intermittent and that that next one will work all the time?

Edit:- so you did buy a used latch assembly for just £20? All main dealerships will demand payment before ordering in parts that they don't normally hold for stock, well at least for a part that costs more than maybe £10(a guess), once you have built up a good relationship with your local dealer's parts department, they will tend to believe that you will appear in person and collect the ordered parts.
Hey rum I never let you.know turn out on this but yes the change of Latch appeared to worked did job over 2 months I think and boot opens all good. Thanks for help

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quadrablast

Mar 24, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Now its happened to me too. My 2011 ibiza st boot is acting strange.
First it would not open at all. I opened it from the inside, checked all the wiring with a voltmeter (maybe not proper english) and even bought a used lockingmechanism. Still same. Removed the "s"-badge/switch. It doesnt work at all when its unbolted from the boot (but still connected) , but when re-assembled it works most times, and even sometimes opens by it self when closing the boot.

So, i belive i need a new badge/switch, but would like to get some more input before going off and buy a new one..

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Now its happened to me too. My 2011 ibiza st boot is acting strange.
First it would not open at all. I opened it from the inside, checked all the wiring with a voltmeter (maybe not proper english) and even bought a used lockingmechanism. Still same. Removed the "s"-badge/switch. It doesnt work at all when its unbolted from the boot (but still connected) , but when re-assembled it works most times, and even sometimes opens by it self when closing the boot.

So, i belive i need a new badge/switch, but would like to get some more input before going off and buy a new one..
Hey Quad

Just seeing how u got on with your car. Mines packed up again so seeing how u got on in he end?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hey rob

I find that.I'm having the same problem. With your broken wire where was it actually broken on the wire?

Thanks again and if you took it to dealer how much did it cost you?

Thanks

Hi Everson

Apologies, After all this time just seen this. To be honest I don't know where the break was think they charged about £100.

The bad news it it's just stopped opening again, so looks like it will be going back in.. ahhh

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi Everson

Apologies, After all this time just seen this. To be honest I don't know where the break was think they charged about £100.

The bad news it it's just stopped opening again, so looks like it will be going back in.. ahhh
Not a problen. In the end I had to get it into seat. Supposedly it was Corris ion on the pin points... was annoyed at myself as I checked this but I guess not properly as I on looking at it but it just of been inside the actual connector. To add further salt about a week later I was rear ended but got it all repaired and the fix would of been covered lol but you live and learn lol

Reactions: Rob66

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
What a nightmare.. I just got ours open from the inside using the emergency release, tried it a couple of times and no seems to work but will still take it in. I'll give them a call on Monday and get it booked in.

Reactions: everson38

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Long overdue update. Well took the car in to the dealer to look at 2 issues - Boot sometimes wont open again & Rear wiper has a life of its own and comes on randomly.

They took it apart and apparently there is water getting into the electrics [again] that is causing the issues. They suggest that the glass is removed, parts dried and resealed, not good as this involves removing the rear spoiler that is bonded to the glass and boot itself, they also suggest that it needs a new Wiper Motor, but the Boot not opening will resolve itself once cleaned and dried (i'm not convinced).

The SEAT dealer cant do the job, so I have got a quote from an excellent local bodyshop to remove spoiler, remove glass, dry, fit new wiper motor and re seal, and re fit spolier (around £400 inc motor).

Anyway its the g/fs car and she want to wait till next month to get it done. In the meantime the boot is working and the rear wiper is behaving itself, flipping thing :cry: I'm not entirely convinced that a new wiper motor is actually needed as its working fine, more likely to be a short when damp making it come on - what do you guys and gals think?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You are damned whichever way you tackle this problem, it would be "nice" to think that SEAT workshops are correct though - though they will be looking on this as what they would do if they were carrying out all this work, ie you would be less than impressed if they hit you with big labour charges and small parts charges, only for you to need to get this work repeated to replace the wiper motor. I'd say that if you are capable to replace a wiper motor, then ignore that and get the rear glass rework done - and remove the trim panel and replace the wiper motor yourself if it becomes faulty later. There is a high possibility that the dealership considers that there is a risk when removing the glass as the wiper would need removing first and maybe seals etc could get damaged, or worse even the wiper shaft?

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Long overdue update. Well took the car in to the dealer to look at 2 issues - Boot sometimes wont open again & Rear wiper has a life of its own and comes on randomly.

They took it apart and apparently there is water getting into the electrics [again] that is causing the issues. They suggest that the glass is removed, parts dried and resealed, not good as this involves removing the rear spoiler that is bonded to the glass and boot itself, they also suggest that it needs a new Wiper Motor, but the Boot not opening will resolve itself once cleaned and dried (i'm not convinced).

The SEAT dealer cant do the job, so I have got a quote from an excellent local bodyshop to remove spoiler, remove glass, dry, fit new wiper motor and re seal, and re fit spolier (around £400 inc motor).

Anyway its the g/fs car and she want to wait till next month to get it done. In the meantime the boot is working and the rear wiper is behaving itself, flipping thing :cry: I'm not entirely convinced that a new wiper motor is actually needed as its working fine, more likely to be a short when damp making it come on - what do you guys and gals think?
When you say water is getting in. Is it getting into the actual switch or it in the the wiring / loom areas?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
When you say water is getting in. Is it getting into the actual switch or it in the the wiring / loom areas?

Hi Everson

They tell me it's getting in just below where the wiper sits in the lower middle of the screen. I've never jet washed the car and it's treated with kid gloves..

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
You are damned whichever way you tackle this problem, it would be "nice" to think that SEAT workshops are correct though - though they will be looking on this as what they would do if they were carrying out all this work, ie you would be less than impressed if they hit you with big labour charges and small parts charges, only for you to need to get this work repeated to replace the wiper motor. I'd say that if you are capable to replace a wiper motor, then ignore that and get the rear glass rework done - and remove the trim panel and replace the wiper motor yourself if it becomes faulty later. There is a high possibility that the dealership considers that there is a risk when removing the glass as the wiper would need removing first and maybe seals etc could get damaged, or worse even the wiper shaft?

Hi Rum4mo

I was thinking along the same lines get it dryed, cleaned inside and resealed.. and hold fire on the wiper motor, I imagine I could replace the motor myself if needed and too be honest I'm really more worried about getting the boot operating correctly..

ric04vrs

Aug 1, 2016
Hi Everson

They tell me it's getting in just below where the wiper sits in the lower middle of the screen. I've never jet washed the car and it's treated with kid gloves..
Is it wet in there when you’ve had it apart ?
I’m just thinking that the water could be coming from somewhere else, like the wiring grommets where they go from the car body to the tailgate

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Is it wet in there when you’ve had it apart ?
I’m just thinking that the water could be coming from somewhere else, like the wiring grommets where they go from the car body to the tailgate

From what I could see it wasn't that bad but the weather has been kind recently. Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look there on Friday when I have the day off and let you know. Cheers.

Danny_75

Mar 28, 2020
Did you resolve this issue ? I have the same problem, I cant open the boot via the remote, the lights don’t flash, and when I try open ing it with the Seat Handle, I can hear a clicking noise near the fuses by the drivers side, ?

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Danny.
Sorry for later reply been working in stop recently.

This boot lock is still a problem. We had a good few months where it seemed to sort itself out. But the problem returns again a month or so ago.

SEAT told us last year it was the rear wiper motor causing the issue, the glass needed to taken out which meant a bodyshop as the spolier also needed to come off first. A new seal should be fitted along with a new wiper motor and all should be ok.
Anyway as it seemed to resolve itself having got a quote we left it. As it's now returned i went to a local garage I use for my other car and they said it was probably the boot lock itself.
So was booked in for a new lock, this was fitted and still wouldn't work, guess what they did a few tests and said it's the wiper motor (just as SEAT had said). They fitted the new wiper motor which worked when they tested it initially then it failed due to the glass seal having a break in it (odd)!
So sorry long story - basically SEAT were right, and after lockdown I'll take in for spolier off glass out new seal and new wiper motor. Boot I am told will then open !

Ps - funny you say about fuses though as we do sometimes gets a very light click from the driver's door area when I open or close the door that sounds fuse like. My lights do flash as normal when unlocked.

Last edited:

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi Danny.
Sorry for later reply been working in stop recently.

This boot lock is still a problem. We had a good few months where it seemed to sort itself out. But the problem returns again a month or so ago.

SEAT told us last year it was the rear wiper motor causing the issue, the glass needed to taken out which meant a bodyshop as the spolier also needed to come off first. A new seal should be fitted along with a new wiper motor and all should be ok.
Anyway as it seemed to resolve itself having got a quote we left it. As it's now returned i went to a local garage I use for my other car and they said it was probably the boot lock itself.
So was booked in for a new lock, this was fitted and still wouldn't work, guess what they did a few tests and said it's the wiper motor (just as SEAT had said). They fitted the new wiper motor which worked when they tested it initially then it failed due to the glass seal having a break in it (odd)!
So sorry long story - basically SEAT were right, and after lockdown I'll take in for spolier off glass out new seal and new wiper motor. Boot I am told will then open !

Ps - funny you say about fuses though as we do sometimes gets a very light click from the driver's door area when I open or close the door that sounds fuse like. My lights do flash as normal when unlocked.
Great reply mate. My mom is having the same issue boit not opening. We took it to seat and they said their was some corrosion on the connection pins which they cleaned up. Im not too sure where they meant the corrision was though. But again it has returned. I have alsp changed the switch and not change. Can you explain why the wiper motor would be causing issue with the boot switch? How are they linked?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Everson

Good question I asked the same thing. Apparently they are connected in some way and if the wiper motor is unhappy the boot won't open. It seems to be the fau!ty seal that is the issue with water getting in and effecting the motor. A new boot lock and new boot handle mechanism were both fitted but still no luck - I wasn't charged for these parts as they just removed them and returned to VAG parts.

Local garage used an airline to demonstrate where the leak in the seal was. I would normally have a doubt in my mind but they were almost word for word what SEAT said and the wiper motor is the problem but need a new perfect seal to work. I don't think the wiper motor is that pricey it's the removal of top spolier and glass that is pricey. The wiper did also have a habit of turning itself on randomly till I removed the fuse, so guess water/corrosion is causing an issue there.

Really annoying has it is a great car otherwise. Good luck with your mum's and definitely check the glass seal..

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hi Everson

Good question I asked the same thing. Apparently they are connected in some way and if the wiper motor is unhappy the boot won't open. It seems to be the fau!ty seal that is the issue with water getting in and effecting the motor. A new boot lock and new boot handle mechanism were both fitted but still no luck - I wasn't charged for these parts as they just removed them and returned to VAG parts.

Local garage used an airline to demonstrate where the leak in the seal was. I would normally have a doubt in my mind but they were almost word for word what SEAT said and the wiper motor is the problem but need a new perfect seal to work. I don't think the wiper motor is that pricey it's the removal of top spolier and glass that is pricey. The wiper did also have a habit of turning itself on randomly till I removed the fuse, so guess water/corrosion is causing an issue there.

Really annoying has it is a great car otherwise. Good luck with your mum's and definitely check the glass seal..
Thabks for this Rob appreciate matem to clarify spme things wjen you sal the seal' on the glass are we talking about a seal that i assume runs along the entire edge of the glass or wpuld it be more the seal (i am guessing here as the car is not with me daily) that i would assume is around where the wiper arm connects through / onto the rear window? In addition have they given you a price for that whole jpb to ne done and would u mind sharing?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Hi Everson

No probs it is the seal that runs right around the entire rear window. When I went to the bodyshop last year to do the full job including removing and refitting spolier and glass, new seal and wiper motor was around £380 if I remember. I think the wiper motors around £140 by its self. There is no bodyshop work needed apart from removal and refitting.

When I thought it was an easy swop was told an hour's labour plus the motor.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.