Biggest Wax Test Ever

Rubbish Boy

What a fascinating read! A motoring editor recommended Autoglym HD wax to me after he had done a similar test. I bought some a few weeks ago and it is quite impressive.

Can I ask what's recommended to use inbetween waxes? As well as 'normal' car shampoo (is it better to get one without wax in?) I sometimes finish with Turtle Wax Ice Polish. I realise it's not offering much protection but at least it makes it shiny for a few days.

I also use PermaClear ProDryCare Waterless Wash & Wax which gives it a shine and protection.

I take it neither of these will diminish the protection of the HD wax?

I believe Turtle Wax Ice Polish is an "All in One" polish and wax, this will likely have abrasives and solvents that will remove or certainly partially remove the HD wax and leave it's own polymers behind. So in effect you would be replacing the HD wax with the Turtle Wax.

Not familar at all with the PermaClear stuff but if it's like some of the other products of that style, it will have some form of solvent or cleaner that could degrade the wax layer, it will leave behind it's own polymer layer as well, again in effect you'll be replacing one with t'other.

Seat_Cupra_VR6

i hd the car once every 6 months and use aqua wax every couple of weeks. to be shure the stone chips don't ruin it.
most hard waxes will have a liquid or spray on verson to be used inbetween your seasonal waxes.

i prefer when i buy a car i buff it with polish and paint seal it then wax it.
then over the 6 months use ag shampoo and aqua wax to protect the hard wax

John-JCs

Looks like some nice results!

Worth a little hard work for such a nice shine :)

DMackie

Oct 3, 2008
Aberdeen
Ive been using 915 for ages too and ive always been impressed on how well it lasts. Hardly used any of my tin and ive had it a few years now.

Last edited:

BuuBBa

Wow.. A bit old but still has good info. Nice to see that I'm not just wishing that 915 is a long last wax.

STU3Y

Nov 11, 2013
Kent
OK guys, time has pasted, we have seen one of the coldest and longest periods of weather since 1986, apparently.....

Review, 12th January 2009:

The last review was start of Nov, and today was a huge task just to wash the horsebox, I used over 175 litres!

Test orignally started 30th June 2008. Reviews took place at 26th July, 1st Spet, 8th Oct and 1st Nov 2008.

After 6 and 1/2 months, the following waxes are still protecting the paintwork:

Autoglym Hi Def
Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance
Nattys White & Blue
RaceGlaze 55
Swissvax Divine, Mystery, BoS and Concourso
Victoria Concours
Zymol Vintage and Glasur

So there you have it, my final list of what lasted over six months in very extreme conditions too.

I am sorry to say I shall not be conducting any further reviews, the time is no longer available. Due to the amopunt of failures and the appearance of the horsebox there is also now a need to get it all stripped back and restored to its previous glory.

Thank you to everyone who has followed this, and I hope it has proved as useful to you, as it has to me.

You say you are shocked by some of the results, so as a result of your review has it changed the products you use more often etc. Out of those in the final list is there any you would still pick over the other and if so why

CTID

Apr 1, 2013
Pics missing now :(

Good to see Natty's going strong. Wonderful stuff for the price.