CHIPEX - Stone chip repair kit - NEW SCN sponsor

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Recieved my kit today, from the instructions it looks quite simple to do. But i wont say anything until i actually start. Will be up early on saturday morning thats for sure!
Anyone got any tips/things to look out for?

Nothing really to look out for, just be patient, follow the instructions and don't be too heavy handed when it comes to removing the excess paint with the blending solution.

So you saying several members above had batch with dodgy lid then? They should be sent more then seems unfair.

I don't think the lids are "dodgy" as such, it just sounds like they haven't been tightened up properly. There are essentially two screw parts to the lid, one to fully take the lid off which is how they fill the bottle with solution in the first place and one part which you would use to get a small amount of the solution out of the bottle, ensure both are screwed to the closed position like you would with anything else and I don't see how you'd have a problem.

If mine had leaked out in the post then I'd be contacting the guys to get a replacement, you don't ask you don't get :shrug:

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
Heres my review on this product.

I recieved it perfect and next working day, non had evaporated or anything so i was happy at this step.

I washed my car and chose to do 2 chips on the door and a few on the bonnet just to test it out. I used panel wipe to make sure the chips were clean then proceeded with applying the first coat with the little brush provided and smoothed out so its touch dry with finger.

Before paint

Door:

IMG_0674.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0678.jpg

After paint

Door:

IMG_0675.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0685.jpg

Then i let it dry for about 2 mins and put a small amount of blending solution on the kind of paper towel provided and beginned to rub very lightly. It takes a little while until the blending solution starts to remove paint, but as soon as it down, it keeps coming off very fast so you need to go even lighter then.

After blending

Door:

IMG_0679.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0688.jpg

I was going to do a second coat but i thought i would see what just one coat would come out like.

Applyed polish

Door:

IMG_0690.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0689.jpg

Left the polish to dry to a haze then buffed off.

Buffed off

Door:

IMG_0691.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0693.jpg

I must say, its not quite as good as i was expecting (but ive only done one coat anyway) but its certainly better. Also remember this pictures are extremely close up so from a slighty further distance, it would look better. Also i should note again, this is only one coat of paint so i would say a good 2-4 coats would fill it properly which ive yet to do as it was getting a bit chilly outside.

The colour match seems spot on so im sure with a good afternoon for a couple of hours, you could get it looking very near perfect :D

Last edited:

mcd90

Daz McD
Nov 27, 2011
Montrose, Scotland
Great pics mate. After a couple of coats it should look better. It looks way better than what it used to look like thats for sure. I am going to do a couple tomoro morning weather depending.

Aimez

right found the sticker with chassis number on it etc but loads of number no idea so just put my reg in they can figure it out. By the way discount code no longer works but on the main page you get 25% off using SALE anyway so technically no SCN discount lol! :rolleyes:

rydogg09

lcr ry
Feb 5, 2012
Heres my review on this product.

I recieved it perfect and next working day, non had evaporated or anything so i was happy at this step.

I washed my car and chose to do 2 chips on the door and a few on the bonnet just to test it out. I used panel wipe to make sure the chips were clean then proceeded with applying the first coat with the little brush provided and smoothed out so its touch dry with finger.

Before paint

Door:

IMG_0674.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0678.jpg

After paint

Door:

IMG_0675.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0685.jpg

Then i let it dry for about 2 mins and put a small amount of blending solution on the kind of paper towel provided and beginned to rub very lightly. It takes a little while until the blending solution starts to remove paint, but as soon as it down, it keeps coming off very fast so you need to go even lighter then.

After blending

Door:

IMG_0679.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0688.jpg

I was going to do a second coat but i thought i would see what just one coat would come out like.

Applyed polish

Door:

IMG_0690.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0689.jpg

Left the polish to dry to a haze then buffed off.

Buffed off

Door:

IMG_0691.jpg

Bonnet:

IMG_0693.jpg

I must say, its not quite as good as i was expecting (but ive only done one coat anyway) but its certainly better. Also remember this pictures are extremely close up so from a slighty further distance, it would look better. Also i should note again, this is only one coat of paint so i would say a good 2-4 coats would fill it properly which ive yet to do as it was getting a bit chilly outside.

The colour match seems spot on so im sure with a good afternoon for a couple of hours, you could get it looking very near perfect :D

anyomore pics mate of where u have done more coats? would be interested to see many thanks

mrbubba

Aug 24, 2008
Just got a message through from another forum as this company have another discount on.
The pictures posted above don't look to great too be honest, has anyone else used this and got better results? The video they show had the stone chips completely disappearing

http://www.chipex.co.uk

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

davepenn

Jun 23, 2011
teesside
ive just done quite a few stone chips on the bonnet and my first impressions so far is im pretty disappointed and its not as good as i thought it would be, but that could be my technique

but i will try a few more coats and see if that makes a difference.

il upload pics soon

LillianJacks

Jun 6, 2016
carseatresearch.com
Just done about a million on mine (bloody black, never again!).

What I did was fill in using touch up paint, left it for about 20 mins, then used a lint free cloth with a bit of petroleum spirit (not petrol) to remove excess in a similar method that Chipex use, came up quite good, would be even better if I give it another coat.

AlysJulian

Jul 8, 2016
Looks like it might be worth a try - if it gives as a good a result as the Dr Colorchip system then its got a future

NICK911

May 22, 2017
Chipex discount

Anybody know if they still provide a discount for members?, tired all the codes??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members