Is T- Cut similar to G3 Compound?

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
Hi mate

Similarish. . What are you going to use it on?

If it's the same then I won't be using T CUT...I'm repairing scratches...so will touch up with brush, sand down and polish using (compound, then g3 then normal polish), then wax.......

taxiboy

May 1, 2010
I guess is G3 is more aggressive than t cut, how does t cut compare with normal polish like

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-deep-crystal-car-polish-step-2-473ml?_$ja=kw:skimlinks_phg|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=**********-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-skimlinks_phg-_-TopLink

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I guess is G3 is more aggressive than t cut, how does t cut compare with normal polish like

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-deep-crystal-car-polish-step-2-473ml?_$ja=kw:skimlinks_phg|tsid:40392&cm_mmc=**********-_-PerformanceHorizon-_-skimlinks_phg-_-TopLink

Normal polish would be very mild, will only take out very shallow scratches - like you could probably make with your finger nail- unless you spent ages rubbing the same spot or used a electric polishing mop.
Think of it like sand paper, a very fine sandpaper will get you down to bare metal, but would take you a while ( normal polish) but a corse sand paper (g3 say) will get you to bare metal much quicker with less effort, so tcut would be like a fairly fine grit sandpaper.
Obviously none of these are like sandpaper, but hopefully it gives you the idea of how abrasive these cutting compounds are or not depending on which you use, and there are lots of different ones.

Strangely though the lacquer on the Leon seems very hard (yemv) I tried removing some out of my old leon, even with g3 and a mop it took some doing, so you might find, depending how deep they are that you won't even dent then with normal polish or tcut, especially by hand

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I'd look at Autoglym Paint Renovator or Poorboys SSR2 myself personally. I've used the latter quite a lot for removing light scratches/swirls usually using a DA polisher mind.

Last edited:

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
T Cut is awful stuff. Use G3, or if you want to remove light scuffs without taking off most of the lacquer use something like Autofinesse Rejuvinate.

Snark

Jan 30, 2017
I always found G3 quite course for fine scuffs, its ok for flattening out a minor "bump" if you filled a scratch with a lacquer patch kit put on with a brush. If its only minor scratches you want to buff out or you want to finish up after taking out something deeper with a fine emmery wet polish (2000 or 3000 grit) then Farecla G10 is my favourite for that. Works fine in small areas by hand but a polishing wheel is much better for larger areas.

Cheers, Snark

Last edited:

Seat20V

May 3, 2016
Hi,

T-Cut is a very old school product nowadays, so many great products on the market.

Farecla G3 is a good cutting compound.

Thanks