MK2 Toledo Auxiliary Heater and Cabin Temp

barrymurphy

Dec 14, 2016
Hello,

I have an MK2 Toledo that reaches its proper 90 degrees temp but only after about 10 to 15 minutes of driving and consequently the air coming into the cabin is cold till then, you cannot clear a windscreen or heat the cabin until some sort of temp is reached.

Is this something that has to be tolerated? or is there supposed to be an auxiliary heater working?

She has climatronic temp control.

thanks

Barry

spudboy6

Feb 4, 2014
Swindon
No aux heater far as I know but my car warms up much quicker (I presume yours is diesel ? )
They can be slow to warm up , a new thermostat might help if your one is showing its age now and taking longer than usual To warm up

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Longer warm up times are normal in the winter, even more with diesels since they’re more efficient putting less waste heat into the cooling system and the engine block is thicker taking longer to warm up. If the thermostat hasn’t been replaced it would be worth doing. It’s job is stopping the coolant flow into the radiator until the coolant has warmed up. As they start to fail the coolant flows past even when cold increasing the warm up time.

I had the thermostat replaced in my 03 Leon TDI and that has helped. But it can still take around ten minutes to get warm when its below zero outside. I also have a petrol Mazda and that starts blowing warm air within five minutes but also uses a lot more fuel. More modern cars often have heated seats to help during the warm up. I do remember reading that some cars have an extra glow plug that warms the coolant when the car is first started. There are also aftermarket block heaters that use an electric heater in the coolant system. These are plugged into the mains overnight and more common in the countries that are a lot colder than the UK.

akchappers

Jun 27, 2010
Gillingham Dorset.
Sorry bud but no aux heater
Only fitted to the Alhambra tdi. Got one bit trust me a royal pain in the assss!
Not many people even know they have one! Took me a year to know it had one and then I had to fix it.
Prob a temp sensor in yours but it is diesel and take longer to
Heat up mate!
Ak

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.