Pioneer - rear speakers not wired?

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
I decided to pull out the head unit today to try and find out why the rear speakers dont work.

It looks like the High level outputs are connected through filters into the car loom (lots of taped up RCA connectors) but when I unplugged the front right, the sound still came out of that speaker? So not sure if there's an amp or two connected somewhere else but if so, they are not being used.

So I looked at the line level outputs and found that only 4 of the 8 speaker wires connect into the block for the car loom. I'd post pics but being a new member, haven't posted enough on here yet.

Has anyone else found this and managed to wire in the rear speakers?

Also, looking to hook up a reversing camera, can anyone recommend a discrete wireless one for an ST?

Cheers,
Rich

Corvus Cornix

Jun 30, 2005
Norway
The RNS-E unit was replaced with the Pioneer unit for some time because of delivery problems.
The Exeo was equiped with RNS-E HU, the RNS-E amp drives the front speaker and the rear speaker (and subwoofer) is driven by the amp in the boot right side.

The problem with the Pioneer setup is that the signal to the rear amp is to low, so it want start properly.

I have the same problem but I got some verry low sound rear. I have read that you can boost the signal with a filter but not figure it out yet.
I have even bougth the audi sub and installed it, but not hocked it up yet.

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
Interesting. My rear speakers do give out very low sound when the HU is turned up, but it sounds like it is only coming out of the tweeters.

Where would the amp be located? In the right hand cubby of by ST I have a box which says amplifier on it, but doesn't look like a hi-fi amp, couldn't see any RCA connectors.

Please keep me informed about your progress!

Cheers,
Rich

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
I have even bougth the audi sub and installed it, but not hocked it up yet.

Is this the sub for the ST? Is it a worthwhile addition? The speaker looks fairly small.

s-l1600_zpswp5q1aic.jpg

spideymack

Oct 24, 2008
Central Scotland
On my ST the rear amp failed completely. New one from a scrapyard and the rears are now working. Also just fitted the Audi non-bose rear sub. Almost plug-and-play apart from 2 extra wires from the amp to the sub. Haven't tried it properly yet though.

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
Try fitting a couple of these to the front and rear speaker outputs, use the RCAs into the rear mounted amp, you can then adjust the level.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speaker-t...Level-Cable-/122617738422?hash=item1c8c9634b6
Did you swap the GLIs to test them?

Thanks for the info Caldi. Is it likely that all 4 of the GLI's have failed to prevent the rear speakers working? If one failed I'd expect only one speaker to go off, I suppose it could be 1 from each side.

The speaker RCA converter, are you suggesting dring these off the unused line level speaker outputs of the pioneer, then using the existing RCA's/GLI's to connect through to the rear amp?

Cheers,
Rich

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
On my ST the rear amp failed completely. New one from a scrapyard and the rears are now working. Also just fitted the Audi non-bose rear sub. Almost plug-and-play apart from 2 extra wires from the amp to the sub. Haven't tried it properly yet though.

Do you recall the part number of yours Spideymack? Mine has a Harman Becker amp p/n 3R0 035 223A.

Have you got any info on the non-bose rear sub? The only one I have come across so far is the bose one pictured in my post in this thread from last week. I really want to get to get a better all-round sound so looking for options/recommendations.

Cheers,
Rich

spideymack

Oct 24, 2008
Central Scotland
Do you recall the part number of yours Spideymack? Mine has a Harman Becker amp p/n 3R0 035 223A.

Have you got any info on the non-bose rear sub? The only one I have come across so far is the bose one pictured in my post in this thread from last week. I really want to get to get a better all-round sound so looking for options/recommendations.

Cheers,
Rich

Rich my amp had the same part number and failed so no sound in the back at all. I replaced with Audi A4 Avant amp of the same part number and that fixed it. Recently found an Audi A4 Avant in the scrappy with sub and amp. The sub box looks almost the same as the pic above but doesn't say BOSE. It doesn't add alot to the sound, but as the crossover in the amp doesn't give alot of bass to the rear door speakers it helps the bass in the rear a little.

RichB

Jul 7, 2017
Weston, Stafford
it might have been mentioned before, but is the rear amplifier in our cars expecting speaker level inputs or line level inputs? I had a Harmon Kardon system in my old car and that used speaker level inputs to the amp. If our amps are the same, then that might explain the low sound output, they would be expecting a much higher voltage signal on the input.

I've also fitted an A4 subwoofer box and amp in the boot, it's working but not enough to make a difference. If I can't sort something out with the standard amp, I'm going to swap it out for an aftermarket one.

Rich

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.