Car Won't start

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Hey guys.

My friend has a Seat ibiza Mk5 2009 plate.

Today the car wouldn't start. When you put the keys in and turn it to the 'run' position it made this funny ticking noise ( I will attach video).

https://youtu.be/45yeZ0uXXHs

Now I know a lot of people think flat battery but just read all, as I'm just not too sure. Need some technical minds lol

1) Before this the car had a tendency that if left for like 3 - 5 days that it wouldn't start. Now at this point the battery was the original so it could just have been bad. So about 12 months ago I changed the battery for new.

2) Going back to early November this year the car was left for about 4 days and again didn't start so I jumped it and all fine. But bare in.mind new battery is in.

3) Tonight it didn't start and we had RAC out and the guy jumped it. He said that the alternator was charging at 14.4v and it needs a new battery? But the battery is basically new?? Now my friend hadn't driven it for a week building up to tonight, but should a new battery of a year old be running flat like this?

Also I did notice that on the heater controls inside the car it was set to the 'fan' icon postion. Despite the car being off could this cause a drain or am I just looking too hard into this?

Any help would be great guys as trying to ensure no lazy misdiagonising is going on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
You need to do a battery drain test with a multimeter to see if some juice is being pulled, anything over 0.05-0.1 could mean you have a drain somewhere.

Maby a relay somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
You need to do a battery drain test with a multimeter to see if some juice is being pulled, anything over 0.05-0.1 could mean you have a drain somewhere.

Maby a relay somewhere?

Hey cartman. Thanks for gettin back. Do u have and idea how a drain test is carried out on a car?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Ask RUM4MO and there is a topic here about that.

There is an software update to fix that.

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
The drain test, if I remember correctly you take your multimeter and poke into the cables off the battery, if you see a drain:

You then go fuse by fuse to see what is draining, including fuses under hood next to battery.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
To, summarise, the only cars that could need this 30EB action are listed as being 6J_AR000108 > 6J_AR079317 - this info was taken from one of the threads I found.

My daughter's car is 6J_AR062??? - which, interestingly, fits into that range!

everson38, that was a copied bit of text from one of my posts in the original thread for this issue, maybe check the VIN of that car and see if it lies within the range of known possibly affected cars listed above.