Door card removal guide...done in 2 minutes!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Angusrob said:
Thanks Muddyboots for the "foam behind the window motor" tip. Not a rattle now!!

Think I might do the whole door in the dynamat if any one can tell me the cheapest place to buy it?

Glad to be of service :)

I bought my Dynamat from Car Audio Direct, but the 3-for-2 offer on rolls of Dynamat Extreme has ended now, they're back to £19.99/roll plus postage.
I used 3 rolls to do both front doors some pics here if you haven't already seen.

Might be worth asking in the ICE forum to see if anyone knows of a cheaper supplier.

yositosi

The squicking sound when reversing is a "defect"... since a component from the rear brakes is missing! Seat has identified it and, at least here in Greece, you can go to your local dealer and ask for these things to be fitted (i don't know how they are called in English but they have to do with balancing the weights). Here it is free of charge.. and it only takes 5 minutes.. :)

182blue

Feb 10, 2005
hey thx for this guide, took both my door panels off last night and ripped the boot to bits too, took me about 2 hours all in, but that included the blu-taking too and foaming, job well worth doing too.
the only difference was on my mk 4 cupra tdi there are only 2 torx screws at the bottom of the door
the hardest part was removing the window switch panel on the drivers side

Last edited:

Ibiza4284

Oct 26, 2004
Ne ideas guys on how to remove the actual cloth part from the door card for a retrim, removing the door card is easy enough to do, just need to know how to remove the cloth part.

Ibiza4284

Oct 26, 2004
182blue said:
its glued on isnt it ?

It is yeah, but i have found a guide on how to remove the cloth, i guy on another site dont this on a mrk4 golf and it worked really, the mrk 4 golf is pretty similiar to the mrk 4 golf i would of thought:

1. remove door card from car
2. using a suitable tool carfully chip away/cut the melted plastic tabs from around the insert. Theres about twenty five of these. Be careful not to press to hard into the insert backing as it will crush.
3. Give the door card a good wipe down to remove any risidue; plastic swarf
4. Once the insert has been removed, run a 4-6mm bead of clear silicone mastic around the rim of the door card.
5. carfully press the new insert onto the door card, the previously chipped/cut plastic clips should be reused as an alignment guides.
6. let cure over night by placing the card face up with a block under the insert to raise it slightly. I found a shoe box suitable.
7. next day refit, and looks good as before as the insert is held in place with two screws and the card surround with five plastic plugs and two torx screws.

all you need now is a new insert
good luck

Deleted member 5985

uh whats the door card, and why would you take it out? dont know anythin bout it

Ibiza Cuprasprt

door cards etc

Hi guys

You guys seem to be a fountain of knowledge so lets say some idiot (me) took the door card off before reading these posts stating be careful thus ripping half the clips from the card side off?

where to get a new one is first thing.

and underlying issue how to get electric window motor out?

is long and fiddly cant seem to detacth from window runner.

Deleted member 11127

Did you do this to change the culur or the door interior or to change the speakers?

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
Ibiza Cuprasprt said:
Hi guys

You guys seem to be a fountain of knowledge so lets say some idiot (me) took the door card off before reading these posts stating be careful thus ripping half the clips from the card side off?

where to get a new one is first thing.

and underlying issue how to get electric window motor out?

is long and fiddly cant seem to detacth from window runner.

what car mate? your in the mk4 section but your profile suggests you have a mk2, in which case you may want too try the mk2 section ;)

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
chazly123 said:
Did you do this to change the culur or the door interior or to change the speakers?
i did this so i could check the speakers for size and what i was gonna need then to go out and buy what i needed then change them! to somethink more pleasent and louder lol

Jan 8, 2006
Manchester
thanks to the guide i had the door off in no time!! was a little scary coz the plastics are a little brittle...but didnt manage to break anything..this time round

cheers
JK

Kyle Townend

Dec 3, 2005
I got the doorcard off no bother, only struggle was the window switch cable, which in the end i left attatched and had my grandad support the doorcard while i secured all the loose wiring !

The driver side is rattling now, so wouldnt mind a bit more detail on how to unplug the cable?

Is there a clip? does it just pull out?

Cheers

billy boy

metal plate

hi,how about taking apart the metal plate under the door panel.i need to replace thr winder mech for the window.i know it has about a thousand 10mm bolts holdig it in place, and the door lock has torx bolts that need to be removed,but thats about all i know.any help on this would make me a very happy bunny;)

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
I took it to the garage and made them change it under warranty when both mine broke. Not much help I know, but something to think about depending on the age of your car.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members