green panel filter and pd 160 intake

Domster

Hi Guys - Not sure if anyone else has this problem or if it has been covered already (can't find it by searching)...

I have a mk4 cupra and after a hard blast, the induction air feeder pipe (shown on the left in Ibiza_Evo_2's photo) comes away from the air intake piece that is screwed to the grill (shown at the bottom of the photo).

Apologies if this is sounding a little remedial but I'm strussling to explain! Does anyone else have this problem? I think a suitably sized hose clip would sort it but I'm struggling to find one that is appropriately shaped....

Any ideas? (other than superglue or not driving so hard)...

Domster

Appears I am also struggling to type as well as explain... Above should be struggling not strussling....

gazjones

mine is not a really tight seal it moves back abit on the grill adaptor!

nickibizaCUPRA

mk3 CUPRA hell yeah!
Oct 15, 2005
crawley
hey guys i removed the trumpet thingy to the maf anf a week later my engine management light came on. checked it on 5052 and it said, secondary air intake incorrect flow detected?!?! could removing the trumpet thing caused this?? anyone else had this problem???

gazjones

ive had it vag com'd after this twice and no faults have come up shouldnt affect i dont think as its only a bit of plastic that cuts half the surface area out of your filter

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
Thought I might try dumming things down for people who don't really know what they are doin with the install side of things, (i.e. me who done this mod the other day and i didn't have a clue:wtf: ) It really is the easiest thing to do ever.
Green Panel filter cost around £45
Adapter and hose cost around £35 including VAT (see gazjones first post for part no's)
Basically to remove the air filter you need to remove the 2 screws on the right hand side of the air box cover, there are also 2 lugs on the left hand side that slide out to the right (pic1).
There is enough play on the attached hose to lift it up and remove the old filter (pic2).
New filter looks the same as the old one from the top view but is roughly half the thickness. Place new filter in making sure it’s sitting flat without any gaps and slide cover back on and replace screws. (See easy eh!!)
As for the new hose you’ll see it coming from the air box towards the front grill. You will see the adapter has two clips on the top and one either side that need depressing so you can pull it out (pic3). The at the air box end there is a single screw (don’t loose it) holding the hose in (pic4), remove and pull out hose. To fit the new one simply put the new hose on the new adapter and reverse the process. It can be a bit of a tight fit but it really is that easy (pic5), I had doubts that with my absolute lack of knowledge that I would be able to do it but the main thing is to take it slow. It really does make difference the turbo whistle and the pick up.
Ps.. I didn’t write this to try and teach you guys to suck eggs I just thought it might be handy for a complete novice (and/or idiot:whistle: ).

Last edited:

gazjones

yep it is easy bit of a pain to do some things but a good wright up for people reading this thread

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
thanks gaz and davels...I read this a while ago and didn't think i'd bother with it, but i think i mite have a go now...probably just replace the intake and filter and leave it there though.

I assume this can be done in the same way on a PD130? Are all the bits going to swap over ok?

gazjones

yep both the 130 fr and 150 20vt and 130 tdi sport same bits and will fit all!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
yeah i did, i didn't think i would but it does inprove the pick up and it seems to be free'er at high revs when the turbo boost is tailing off, i'd recommend as it says in other posts making sure you do both intake and filter at the same time as you'll feel the differance more, also when the turbo spools up it sound like its sucking much more air in even over the sound of the derv engine.

ps.. saving for REVO stage 1 too:drive1:

gazjones

yes i made a mistake of doing each bit at a time but noticed little differences each time! ps have you removed the flap out of the adaptor housing the bit that unscrews! it blocks half the intake!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
no i didn't do that cos someone said it cauld cause a MAF fault code to pop up
and as i don't have vag com to clear any fault code and my local stealers tend to take 2 days to work out that a bulb has blown i didn't want to risk it

gazjones

im talking about the one where the cupra intake meets the front of the engine bay the 160 intake adaptor which has 4 clips, sits in this bit that can be taken out with two screws. The thing your on about i think is the trumpet inside the air box! most people havent had a problem with it ive not and i know a few others that havent but like you said one person did have a maf fault code come up

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
ahhh just had a look and i see what you mean, how stupid is that.
how did you cut the flap out? look like its fairly thick.

gazjones

i took the whole thing off the car ( took out the two screws and got a jnr hacksaw to most of it then the hard to reach bits i used i chisel and gradually took the rest out then smoothed with sandpaper. or you can scour the flap with a stanley knife then kep bending it till it snaps out the smooth it out

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members