green panel filter and pd 160 intake

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
Righty ho
just removed flapy thing(before pic) and nearly three fingers while doin it:censored: ,
fairly awkward to do but i got the dremmel out and that made it easier(after)
for anyone wondering its the bit in pic 3 on my previous post with the clips marked, it easy to take off the car just two torx screws

Last edited:

gazjones

cool mate allows bit more air through did you notice any difference

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
Yeah i took it down some narrow streets in the city centre just so i could listen to the turbo whislte:D
what a :censored: ing stupid design in the first place no reason why it should be like that IMO
Thinking of goin for a milltek cat back zorst just to try and get rid of a bit more of that tractor sound. it's bit like your in a taxi or summink when your sitting the the lights :redface:

gazjones

ik think it really to deflect the big bugs so the filter dosenmt clog up but if you check it every few months you will be ok glad you think its made a difference

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
yeah cheers for that mate would not of realised other wise,
i gonna check my filters every couple of months any hoo, no way:no: should the be left to the full service intervals,

Last edited:

macr573

With regard to the relieving of the "flap" in the adapter housing when fitting the 160pd adapter. Does the Cupra share the same adapter housing as the 130tdi? The 160pd adapter is deeper and will automatically increase the flow over the original set up. If the housing on the Cupra is different, anyone got the part number? I`m sure the development engineers at VAG did their homework on this.

gazjones

its the same part that sits on the front grill only the adaptor that atatches to this then the hose, so there are 3 parts to this the first part being the same on all the cars then the secong two bits are what differ between the cupra and the other turbo cars!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
oooh now im confused LMAO!

so first theres the standard generic bit...then there's the adapter bit...then there's the hose?

and the adapter and hose are bigger on the cupra ya?

who'd have thort such a simple thing could appear so complicated

macr573

You`ve missed the point but answered the question. The inlet adaptor clips into the mounting housing which you have now verfied is common to both types of engine. Why remove the shroud ("flap") in the housing when the VAG engineers didn`t consider it necessary whilst developing the 160pd engine?
Uncomplicated enough?

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
lol, yer cheers macr773. I did see what you were saying, it wasn't that part which confused me :lol:

I see what you're saying though, and in regards to that point, when i do this mod, im only changing the pipes and the filter and leaving the rest be, like you said vag engineers put it there for a reason surely?

Dobz

Does changing the panel filter, etc alter the MPG at all? Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy or does it use more?

gazjones

cant say i really noticed any difference certainly didnt get worse on the 20vt!

spyke85

I Like Cheese!
Oct 26, 2003
Bolton
Visit site
Not noticed any real change in MPG on the dirty diesel either, just seems to spool the turbo up better.

On another note, when new is it pre-oiled?

gazjones

yes workeds on the pd 100 as well i know somone who has done it!

gazjones

works better with smoothed airbox and a green pannel filter but is good for when the car is sucking in more air!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members